Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stomp newbie inconsiderate fooltographer

Default Re: Stomp newbie inconsiderate fooltographer

Mostly the organizers fault for not announcing this but judging from your context, I assume that this is a CHIJ private event and not public event? Why not approach him to begin with? Instead of posting his picture and calling him names? Was there a limitation? no flash no hand phones?

Why is this even in the general forums? questions questions...i'm going to sleep.

Flash fired from afar is not really that bad, and like one of the forumers had already pointed out, the performers might not even release he/she had been flashed at. Anyway, the reason for not using flash was not to irritate other audiences, as it can be very annoying when you watch the show, there are flashes of lights (not intended by the performance) around and at random.

Facing with this type of situation, I think it is better to just inform the authority, because by approaching the culprit, you might invite a heated argument, which might not be good in front of your kids or in the presence of minors.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    There is SOMETHING wrong. The flash lights may hurt the performers eyes and cause them to get blinded temporarily.
    look at the position of the flash unit on his camera .... its pointing UP
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I am no expert on Flash but if he is sitting far from the stage will the flash even reach the stage ?

Quote Originally Posted by Expat yorkshire View Post
    I am no expert on Flash but if he is sitting far from the stage will the flash even reach the stage ?
    yes, using high ISO plus big aperture you can get very decent shots
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Expat yorkshire View Post
    That would depend on how far is far. However someone might put the flash there but never used it. Not sure... anyway, we are not sure why the user even bother with flash if he was seated somewhere 'far' behind and the flash cannot reach the stage. He might be a newbies or a noob, but he might have other thing on mind. No one know for sure by looking at the photo.
    My lousy shots

There is SOMETHING wrong. The flash lights may hurt the performers eyes and cause them to get blinded temporarily.
    only if the performers LOOKING DIRECTLY at the flash from a distance of 10 feet or less.

for that, this man have to go up the stage and shooting at them at point blank.

we do not know how many parents are gathering at the front of stage happily shooting with their DSLR, prosumer cam, PnS, iphone, videocame or whatever, with or without flash, and we also don't know is he the sole official photographer or one of the official photographers from the parents volunteers.

but he suay suay kena single out. lol

perhaps "blinded" may sound too serious. I can't describe the feeling, getting flashed and it leaves a black spot on your eyes for awhile.
    Yeah but it hurts and cause my to shut off my eyes
    I have experiences of flash fire at very close range while looking at the flash tube a few times, seeing stars for while, it is not a pleasant experience no permanent harm.

Btw, is at arm length and it is studio flash.

looking a at strong light source for prolong time will do more harm.

Let's not talk about how far he is sitting or if he is using a direct flash, I think it is simply not nice to put somebody's photo online and call him names without giving him any chances to explain. He is probably not on the forum anyway..

If you can take his photo, take pains to upload his photo and start a thread, I certainly think that you could have took 5 sec to walk to him and tell him not to use his flash.

This photo is probably going to be reported on Stomp soon by bo liao people who like to create hooha online..

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    we do not know how many parents are gathering at the front of stage happily shooting with their DSLR, prosumer cam, PnS, iphone, videocame or whatever, with or without flash, and we also don't know is he the sole official photographer or one of the official photographers from the parents volunteers.

but he suay suay kena single out. lol
    My guess is that he was single out bcos he is using one big bad ass DSLR (no offence to TS).

Actually what is really irritating is those people who ignored official warning about flash photography instead of those who happily uses their flashes in occasion whereby there are actually no warning about whether flash can be used or not.

I remember recently when I attended a concert, and people are using flashes even when the organisers had clearly announced that flash should not be use right before the show started. It was dark... and so I think no body knew who uses the flash, but every no and then, you see flashes from the audiences and it is highly annoying... but it did nothing to affect the performaners... and I believe the performers didn't even realise that they have been flashed.
    My lousy shots

Many people shoot in auto mode all the time. You ask them to turn off the flash, they don't even know how to do that. They only know how to point and shoot.

Even if they know how to turn off the flash. Their camera may not be able to take good pictures in low light so they would ignore any warnings.

The only way is to ban photography during the event except for the event photographers.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by ICPIXELS View Post
    Let's not talk about how far he is sitting or if he is using a direct flash, I think it is simply not nice to put somebody's photo online and call him names without giving him any chances to explain. He is probably not on the forum anyway..
    If you can take his photo, take pains to upload his photo and start a thread, I certainly think that you could have took 5 sec to walk to him and tell him not to use his flash.
    This photo is probably going to be reported on Stomp soon by bo liao people who like to create hooha online..
    It's the latest fashion for people with camera phone: forgetting all manners, snapping pictures of people and uploading it to whatever space they can find and start a silly flame war. Rather speaks about TS .. Looking at the picture I'm still puzzled what exactly is wrong: the guys sits with the white lens between his legs (not the most common shooting position), the flash points up to the ceiling, the light in audience is bright enough for reading, the video cam is pointing down .. maybe TS wants to explain his points? this situation and his gear setup is definitely not suitable to cause any irritation or harm to anybody at the stage. Whoever has spend some time on a stage will know that a spotlight from the back of the audience is more irritating than any small camera flash from close distance (which we don't even have here..).
    EOS

Since TS was there (or else he would not have taken the photo) like to ask him to clear few points:

1. He might be the "offical photographer" patiently sitting there all alone
    2. Did TS saw him fired his flash, how many time and at which point of the programme
    3. With no companions, he might be just waiting for end of performance photo shoot (he looked bored)

A bit off-topic but reading this thread remind me of a past experience at the night safari show. Before the show, there had been several annoucement to inform the audience not to use flash as it may affect the animals. Needless to say, there are some bo-chup and inconsiderate idiots who ignore the warnings.ad

why TS never stop that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

Only if every performers are staring direct at the flash. While you are on stage performing, do u stare at the camera? Most pple don't....

As a musician, I understand what TS meant. When u are looking at the conductor, concentrating on following his/her conducting and facial expressions...suddenly, one pop of light illuminates the audience seat. The mood is suddenly gone. Even if the photographer did off his flash and used the infra to assist his focusing, the shutter sound is enough to affect the musician's mood.
    Do spread the word to stop/discourage flash popping and mirror slapping from affecting the performers.

typical Singaporean.

Mouth too big, courage so little.

can post on stomp, but not approach stranger to say "please, you're bothering us and the performers"

I think this is just a zealous parent who wants to capture precious moments of his kid or something. As mentioned, if the organisers didnt bar flash , how to blame him ? Forgive and forget , life will be much more pleasant cheers ...
    Alpha and Omega

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast