Thread: suggestions for soul-searching trip

Default suggestions for soul-searching trip

hi peeple,

i'm kinda at a crossroads of my life, where i'm embarking on a totally new stage in my existence (no, i'm not getting married). more like my goal in life and career... i've been feeling very "direction-less" and lost lately and i've been toying with the idea of just going somewhere for a few days and just "be with myself" for a while, if you know what i mean.

just need any suggestions or recommendations overseas, very little budget (so probably limited to Malaysia, etc.) probably in early August, for mabbe 3 days or so. somewhere to relax and reflect, and snap off a few (dozen) rolls hahahah. any brite ideas? i was thinking Georgetown, Penang Island, heard that there's some really nice heritage architecture there, or perhaps some quiet beachside place (Pulau Rawa?)... welcome any and all comments...

thanks, all.

how bout making it to a week?

once went on a backpacking trip, you may be interested.

Day 1

morning - take a bus to KL, stay for a day. take a walk around, cos's you properly should reach by noon.

Day 2

morning - start off again, this time, the trip may be further, take a train to thailand, or you may wan to go to penang on a bus. stay for a couple of days, then, make your way down to kuantan.

Day 3

Penang or thailand

Day 4

Penang or thailand

Day 5

Morning - start off to kuantan, the night \ evening market there is quite something. imagine pasai malam on the whole stretch of orchard road, up to city hall.

Day 6

Morning - move off again, this time to Genting highland. stay for a night again. should reach within 3 hour.

Day 7

Morning or noon - move off for singapore. should reach by late noon.

just a rough layout of what i did..... budget? i took only $S400 = $M800 for one ppl, and i share my hotel room. Transport all on buses.

Originally posted by Almond
    start off to kuantan, the night \ evening market there is quite something. imagine pasai malam on the whole stretch of orchard road, up to city hall.
    kuantan sounds interesting... don't think i'll go all the way down to thailand... a bit too far.

thanks for the suggestion, Almond!

The trip is more important than the destination. I remember some of my trips up north. The cramped bus rides. Sitting in the front of a Mercedes taxi with Pink Floyd blasting from the stereo all the way from KL to Kuantan. The train ride, with meals in the canteen car (now no more). Staring at the passing scenery and thinking of Apocalypse Now. Walking around the hot dusty streets of KL. Sitting in the motel room wondering what to do with myself. The seemingless endless bumboat ride to Tioman, wondering if I was halfway to California. Arriving there in the middle of the night, stumbling over muddy tracks, not knowing if I would be able to find a room for the night. Going snorkelling in the morning. Taking the high speed hydrofoil back, only to torture myself with another boat ride, this time to Rawa (an undiscovered paradise then). Talking with English tourists and vacationing Thai prostitutes. Writing inane poetry like "I've got Tioman sand in my shoes/And Rawa salt in my hair." Not worrying about where my next destination would be, or when I would have to be back in Singapore (it was during the 3 month break before NS). Just deciding in the morning where I would go to next, as long as money did not run out. Discovering the delights of fried fish with plain rice. Getting homesick and wanting to go home. Marvelling at the number of cigarette smokers in Malaysia.

Yeah, that was fun.