Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Argh! Frustrated with 486RC2 Ballhead!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default Argh! Frustrated with 486RC2 Ballhead!

    Hi all,

    was trying to set up my 300D with the 486RC2 ballhead to take a protrait of my wife, and after aiming the focus pt on her eye, I locked the ballhead...and it starts to creep downwards...nevermind, i aim higher a lil and lock, creep as expected and my aim-off was out!

    sigh...it is just me or a norm for the 486RC2?

    will other models of ballheads give me the same problem? I am looking for another ballhead too..............

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    i think your lens with your 300D are overweight for the 486RC2.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    Hi all,

    was trying to set up my 300D with the 486RC2 ballhead to take a protrait of my wife, and after aiming the focus pt on her eye, I locked the ballhead...and it starts to creep downwards...nevermind, i aim higher a lil and lock, creep as expected and my aim-off was out!

    sigh...it is just me or a norm for the 486RC2?

    will other models of ballheads give me the same problem? I am looking for another ballhead too..............

    Thanks in advance
    I have no idea what this ballhead is all about. But from your description the camera + lens is too heavy for this ballhead.

    It still does not mean that you cannot use this ballhead tp photograph your wife. It just mean that you will have to use your one hand to add support to the camera system during shooting. Obviously this will not do for photography when the shutter speed is very slow such as those that run into seconds.

    Most portrait shoots have speed in the area of 1/60 or more.

    In any case, it is probably a waste of time asking on web which tripod/head to buy. Just bring your gear to the camera store and mount it to see if it works!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Ha? I mount everything from my 1DMKII with 300mm lens to a Mamiya RZ MF system on it with no problems...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  5. #5
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    I have the 308RC and face the same problem. After closely examining it, alot of creep comes from the QR holder, there is alot of play at the front area. If I use a piece of cardboard (or namecard) on the QR area, it improves (but still has some creep).

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    for my location here in US (a ulu small town), it is tough for me to bring all barangs to store......i buy most of the stuffs online or via Fred Miranda forum......

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    I have no idea what this ballhead is all about. But from your description the camera + lens is too heavy for this ballhead.

    It still does not mean that you cannot use this ballhead tp photograph your wife. It just mean that you will have to use your one hand to add support to the camera system during shooting. Obviously this will not do for photography when the shutter speed is very slow such as those that run into seconds.

    Most portrait shoots have speed in the area of 1/60 or more.

    In any case, it is probably a waste of time asking on web which tripod/head to buy. Just bring your gear to the camera store and mount it to see if it works!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Ha? you mean it will not creep at all?

    for me, I aim at eye, after tigtheing, the aiming pt will be out lor.........

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Ha? I mount everything from my 1DMKII with 300mm lens to a Mamiya RZ MF system on it with no problems...

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    cheaper ballheads are prone to this problem. the more expensive ones are better, once u lock it stays. cheap one will move a bit after lock cos not very precise. and as said by another poster, the QR thingy makes it worse cos cheap QR mechanism = not precisely machined = small gaps.

    That said, if you doing precise framing, better to get a more ex ballhead. For me I dont do precise framing so the 308RC (older version of the 486) works well for me.

    cheers

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Ha? I mount everything from my 1DMKII with 300mm lens to a Mamiya RZ MF system on it with no problems...
    You are probably right, but not for plinius.

    Many sing praises for the Acratech, but somehow it does not support my Canon 1V with a 100-400. So I junked it! May be a lemon!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    thanks for the tip...i will go try tmw morning...heh..now it is 1am here......

    thanks

    cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by eawtan
    I have the 308RC and face the same problem. After closely examining it, alot of creep comes from the QR holder, there is alot of play at the front area. If I use a piece of cardboard (or namecard) on the QR area, it improves (but still has some creep).

    Hope this helps.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •