Thread: how to processs this picture ah??? bokeh or photoshop

Default how to processs this picture ah??? bokeh or photoshop

wanna ask the sifu here a few questins..

1. how to get this nice clean picture background bokeh??
    2. looks to me like a 35mm, don't you think??
    3. is the background blur photoshopped ah?? can advise if gaussian blur can help??

same for this picture....
    1. seems like softbox being used?? or was it beauty dish??
    2. i think this one adjust contract to show the black, blacker??

last pic!!! I wanna know wat lens can get this effect?? f1.4 ah?? but wont it be too shallow???the eyes and face super sharp le...i tried to reproduce with 70f2.8 also cannot or 85 f1.8 also cannot, either too tight or the bokeh not shallow enough.... maybe this is the effect of fullframe??

Default Re: how to processs this picture ah??? bokeh or photoshop

First picture:
    1. In general, play with wider aperture, longer focal length, and with the distance between camera - subject - background.
    2. Which 35mm? 35mm at f16? 35mm at f1.4? or 35mm as in full frame camera?
    3. Not sure whether it's photoshoped or good photography skill, but yes photoshop can help a bit with bg blur.. Although not all.

Second picture:
    1. Not knowledgeable with softbox / beauty dish.. Probably other sifus can help.
    2. Not even the greatest lawyer can create a contract which can make a black blacker

Third picture:
    Read again my answer on picture number 1. I believe if set up properly, a crop APS-C cameras with a proper lens can also achieve similar effect. Or probably can start with a bigger DOF to get more area in focus (sharp), and blur a bit using photoshop as necessary.
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 31st March 2012 at 12:35 AM.

Pic 1:
    - You need to start with a nice background in the first place. Could be a 35mm or a 50mm on FF.

3. is the background blur photoshopped ah?? can advise if gaussian blur can help??
    - No, does not look photoshopped. You can apply gaussian blur but it will not look the same as real lens bokeh (as bokeh is, among other things, a characteristic of the lens)

- Most likely a softbox or an external flash and a reflector umbrella.

Nah, it's just exposed for the models.

last pic!!! I wanna know wat lens can get this effect?? f1.4 ah?? but wont it be too shallow???the eyes and face super sharp le...i tried to reproduce with 70f2.8 also cannot or 85 f1.8 also cannot, either too tight or the bokeh not shallow enough.... maybe this is the effect of fullframe??

- This is an easy shot, you can get it with a 50mm or 35mm. Probably not a 85mm or higher considering the dimensions and space constraint of the room. Spot focus on the face, f/4 and you should be about there.

- By the way, saying "bokeh not shallow enough" is wrong. Bokeh is not background blur.

And one more thing... posting images from other photographers without the correct credits is against CS terms of use. Also, why did you not just ask those photographers themselves?
    Last edited by Rashkae; 31st March 2012 at 02:20 AM.
    Alpha

>> Just need a simple/clean bkgnd

2. looks to me like a 35mm, don't you think??
    >> Could be anything shot to that FOV or cropped, though a fast 35 or 50mm are likely candidates given possible working distance indoors

>> Looking at the roundish OOF highlights, most likely shot wide open or near to wide open, hard to tell if additional blur was added in PP. Likely not necessary. Gaussian blur can be used, though it gets artificial once too much is added in (transitions look weird)

same for this picture....
    >> Likely umbrella or shot box.

>> Don't need, just light to expose for models. Adjust in PP of course is possible too.

last pic!!! I wanna know wat lens can get this effect?? f1.4 ah??
    >> You mean getting her ... xxx off??
    That one I don't know.

but wont it be too shallow???the eyes and face super sharp le...i tried to reproduce with 70f2.8 also cannot or 85 f1.8 also cannot, either too tight or the bokeh not shallow enough.... maybe this is the effect of fullframe??)
    Should be doable with a largish aperture and near enough focus.
    I'm pretty surprised you say that your 85/1.8 can't do it.
    If its too tight, then probably a 50/14 or 1.8
    FF helps of course.