Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Achieve A "Bluer" Sky Colour

Try using Circular Polarizer...

Talking

Do it in May. That is what i heard. Or it got to do with Wu Yue Tian?

Usually you want nice blue sky, never ever shoot at noon time...give or take 1-2 hours. Meaning the worst time to shoot scene with a skyline would be about 11pm to 2pm.

You might want to search the web to explain to you why the sky has that blue hue and why sunset produces a more warm orange/pink hue. It all about how light ray from the sun enters our atmosphere..at what angle and how the particles and dust in our air plays a part in producing that blue hue or just a bleak low contrast day when alot of clouds gather together.

Suffice to say.....When you face the sun ( rising or setting on the horizon) your BACK will be facing the portion of the sky that is blue. (anything from light blue to dark blue) You can't get blue sky when you clearly have the sun in your face...whether it be with your own eyes ( which you shouldn't unless you want to go blind looking at the sun directly) or through your camera lens.

It also depend on which month you are doing your shoot. Some of the nice shots you see pros shoot did not happen by luck. They might sometime have to wait for a certain time and particular month(or season) before attempting to go shoot the scene or subject. The hot season are the best time to shoot in Singapore. But right now in December, it is really about luck. I manage to shoot some nice ones during the past few months but I have alot more days where the sky was horrendous with too much clouds around. I am one of those who love blue skys for my scenery shoots so I tend to take note of the sky when I shoot. Nothing perks me up more then a blue sky to motivate me to grab my gear and go shoot abit.

It is also true that you can enhance the blue by eliminated certain colour wavelength with the a circular polariser. Again, how effective it can cut off certain colour wavelength to enhance the blue also depend on which part of the sky you are aiming your lens at in accordance with the position of the sun as well.

Of course the other way to enhance it or even produce a fake blue sky would be to use photoshop. That too takes some learning to get it looking natural. But it can definitely be done. This is your option if the sky you shot is not very blue and it comes out equally not that blue heheh... There is only so much that even a special colour curve can help if you were to replace it in your D70 to help enhance your shot. To overly effect one blue will not mean it does not effect the others too.

The other way would be to use those colour gel filters. (eg cokin filter system...etc) It is not always effective and it might look fake or worst. But it depend on how creative you are in using it to great effects. I know that in certain past tv commercials, there was heavy use of colour gel filters. One reason was the time limit to do the production was tight, and the sky was not helping and it was close to monsoon period, no way they can wait for summer to come ..so they use the colour gel filters to give the sky a dramatice look with dark orange to green..etc. It can be use to great effect sometimes.

Just my two cents lah...hehe

Just don;t give up if you are at your favorite landscape location and you found the sky colour is not up to "par". you just might be there at the wrong hour, month and weather. It is good to take note of the location, make a note of where the the sun rises and sets. This will help you plan your shoot and be there either in the morning or late afternoon to do the shoot and have the blue sky at the right place.

You have to do a fair bit of advance thinking then just aim a camera and fire if you are using the Sun as your flash and the blue sky as your background. to compliment your scenery/subject shot.
    Last edited by sammy888; 21st December 2004 at 06:26 PM.

Like this? Blue enough?

I used a circular polarizer and ps a bit. I am terrible in PS.

Deregistered

Out-of-cam S2 Pro, no PS.

taken at 11.15am, 14 Dec 04

taken around 10+am, AG51 outing

Azure, Madmax those were great sky colours it gives the picture a punch!

Quote Originally Posted by Azure

taken around 10+am, AG51 outing
    Is this shot taken outside MINDEF, near the railway track? I live near there and always wanted to take some shots there. A very potential shooting location.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

i work there.... haha..... blue sky.... like this blue enuff...its PSed....juz to show something diff...

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    I think using a smaller aperture makes the sky a little bluer. Can anyone verify?
    Yeah, but the sky got to be cloudless, then you can see the effect. If it's a cloudy day, eg Singapore Sky, then it's not so useful.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by mmmrsia
    Azure, Madmax those were great sky colours it gives the picture a punch!
    Wait till you see what the new S3 can do... I also pengz (faint)....

Is this blue enough?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12