Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

however, to be a little fair here. some schools have poor management of non-SYF related arts clubs imho. i've met a few teacher ICs who have no idea what or how to develop their yearly programme for the photography cca, let alone developing the cca itself. even with feedback that trainers are ineffective, they still don't change them, citing to me that the gebiz lowest quote is easier to take.

because of that, i went to intern at a garmen agency just to learn how gebiz actually works (as part of my aim).
    no you don't need to pick the lowest especially if it was ineffective. it boiled down to the teacher being just not enthusiastic imo. there was a lot that could had been done, sadly.

but learning photography business aspects from a CCA? some pointers yes, but direct applicable knowledge, i dont think so.

Photography is not always about the glamour... shooting beautiful people... covering glamourous events... handling mega projects with big-name clients...

alot of hardwork goes into the preparation part, which many do not like or they shun doing.

taking care of equipment, proper upkeeping and maintenance of equipment, cleaning up after shoots, drafting and conceptualisation of shoots, research and experiment etc. even the 'hehe and the haha' with the clients are very very important.

i see all these as essential and vital to a successful shoot. it is indeed quite a pity when most young photographers are not interested in starting as a photographer's assistant, studio help-hand or even studio boy (much like an office boy). i would think that just by observing the professionals at work, at how they interact with clients, at how they prepare for shoots etc, one can probably learn alot.

i strongly believe in firm foundation, good attitude, hunger for knowledge, strong commitment and drive as essential in really making it in photography, if not, in life.

to aspiring photographers, the road ahead is a tough one. most new photographers will be free-lancers. a short number will be employed by studios. free-lancers life are very uncertain and riddled with questions.

how tough and prepared are you?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    you should show him the photos you took, and apologize to him that you took his photos accidentally.
    Problem is I did not. I was taking pictures of a monkey while he is making a monkey out of himself.
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    ..... that's also part reason why I didn't take a job now. I'll be burning midnight oil like you when I get into poly. My friends who are already studying in poly and taking the same course ......are all really stressed out, and they regret not resting well before school started.
    If you need to worry about getting enough fricking rest then God help Singapore when we pass on and leave the country in your generation's hands ..... I hope this is not our youth in general .......no wonder we're getting flooded with hungrier FTs

This is still a very relevant thread in its 'Wake Up' and 'Get Real' responses
    Last edited by ed9119; 31st March 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

seriously when i first pick up this hobby, MONEY is the real nightmare.....

even a low end film body which i brought cost so much, i cant even afford nikon and canon brand! haha

but it was really fun to learn...film is so diff from digital this days. its a process those who started with DSLR will never learn.. :P
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie

Heheh I'm expecting some people to say that I'm just complaining. I intend to ignore those though. Many will eye on my age in relation to the post. That's why I never tell my clients that I'm not even legal for driving.

First one I quitted because it didn't suit me. Second one, I didn't felt like I'm an intern. More like an assistant. Employer running about the country while I clean up the studio. Though this third one pays way lesser than the first 2, I'm really happy with it. I get to deal with clients first hand and learn by experience. Learning by watching someone else was never my forte anyway.

I expected people who don't show interest in others' "stories". Those who aren't aren't obliged to view anyway. I'm all ears if anyone would like to share. I'm here more for leisure. Whoever said all posts must have a purpose?
    Do u know how chefs are being trained when they are starting out, boy??

They started by mopping kitchen floors, wash plates and peel potatoes and onions.

U think your cleaning up studio is worse than in the kitchen?

Pardon me but, I believe it is pretty lucid that beneath the purported introspection that TS is in, the true intention is perhaps to seek affirmation of his talent and self worth. Perhaps his propensity to understand and learn has been severely reduced given how brash the feedback was. He is still young, it is normal to be attention seeking. Looking at how the content has digressed, this thread may not have the capacity to serve the purpose as indicated on the title. My advice is perhaps seezhijie should close the thread and do some reflections on the valid points raised?

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    Sometimes we don't need a reason to do things. I know there's no point listening to other's stories too, but I just want to. Just like how I chose a hobby instead of having none at all. It's not necessary, but I just chose it
    There's a reason behind everything we do (maybe you just don't see it only) and every choice made has its consequences...
    Only people with a successful mindset can be successful...

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes

Problem is I did not. I was taking pictures of a monkey while he is making a monkey out of himself.
    I guess you still don't get it. Nevermind.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I guess you still don't get it. Nevermind.
    hahaha.... I was going to say that.

Good one Uncle Ben.

Hart

I don't get it
    My Flickr

I don't get it
    Show him the monkey picture you took and apologized you took a photo of him. It's making fun of that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

Show him the monkey picture you took and apologized you took a photo of him. It's making fun of that guy.
    Problem
    Is that I didn't even take a photo if him
    My Flickr

Problem
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

Exactly.
    Hahahaha fudge made my day man....

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes View Post
    Problem

Last edited by catchlights; 31st March 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes View Post
    Problem

lol. damn funny man.

Catch no ball.

Firstly, we have a whining and petty arrogant guy writing an essay that sounds like complain here. A bunch of pros, experienced hobblist who used to shoot for others and concern membering giving their fair share of pie. Especially on his arrogant attitude and asking him to tone it down. Then it became a troll on old man and monkey leading to stuff like double face palm.

The interesting thing is that the title wrote:
    What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

Vege bird very very lost...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast