Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

Default What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

I realised there isn't such a thread around here, plus my mom just gave me some problems again, so I guess this is a discussion cum ranting thread.

Let's try to avoid monetary problems coz everyone knows photography ain't cheap. Focus more on problems that are more unique to yourself rather than something everyone has.

Let me set the ball rolling to be fair.
    I'm only 17 this year. I started photography 4 years back when I entered secondary school. As many expect, I decided to enter the media club as my CCA. My Dad never gave any problems. It's my Mom. She wants me to join a sports or uniformed group CCA, saying that it'll help when I go to NS. Of course I refused. Who in the right mind spends 4 years training for 2 years of service when the same 4 years can be used to train for a lifetime work? So I went ahead for the media club and proved that I made the right choice.

Now I finished my O levels and have been on holiday since end November. I didn't find a part time job like other students. Instead, I had 2 photography internships. I'm on the third one now. Quit the previous ones coz I had no interest in it. Here comes my Mom again. She says that if I had worked in places like mac I would've earned a few thousands in the few months of holidays. Until now she's still insisting that I got cheated of my time. She herself is an established home beautician and she's trying to take control of how I plan my services, insisting that she's more experienced and I should listen to her. For the past months, when I'm free, I'll spend some time brushing up my skills and thinking of how to handle different clients. I never listen to her of course. Her way of getting customer is to charge cheap so they come back.

Okay that's my part. Now let's hear from others.

Default Re: What problems do you face when you start out in photography?

what is your point?

complaining about your mother? "wrong place dude..."

telling your whole life story? "i don't think a lot would care except for your best buds and your dog if you had one"

asking for advice on starting out in photography? "dude. that's what the Photo Business sub-forum is for"

BTW. you should be working. that's what i did while waiting for Poly Admissions. not day-dreaming about being a photographer. having job experience is good for you. you'll meet new people, generate a network of friends who you can tap on.

from what i see, within 3 months you've quit 2 internships. this shows how much you really care about learning the ropes in the photography business.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    what is your point?

complaining about your mother? "wrong place dude..."

telling your whole life story? "i don't think a lot would care except for your best buds and your dog if you had one"

asking for advice on starting out in photography? "dude. that's what the Photo Business sub-forum is for"

BTW. you should be working. that's what i did while waiting for Poly Admissions. not day-dreaming about being a photographer. having job experience is good for you. you'll meet new people, generate a network of friends who you can tap on.

from what i see, within 3 months you've quit 2 internships. this shows how much you really care about learning the ropes in the photography business.
    Heheh I'm expecting some people to say that I'm just complaining. I intend to ignore those though. Many will eye on my age in relation to the post. That's why I never tell my clients that I'm not even legal for driving.

First one I quitted because it didn't suit me. Second one, I didn't felt like I'm an intern. More like an assistant. Employer running about the country while I clean up the studio. Though this third one pays way lesser than the first 2, I'm really happy with it. I get to deal with clients first hand and learn by experience. Learning by watching someone else was never my forte anyway.

I expected people who don't show interest in others' "stories". Those who aren't aren't obliged to view anyway. I'm all ears if anyone would like to share. I'm here more for leisure. Whoever said all posts must have a purpose?

Nothing wrong with her strategy of charging cheap so they come back.

How much pg work do you have now to justify charging like a professional pg?

You should take on a normal part-time job and continue to shoot pg work as and when it comes in. I'm sure your fundamentals are good enough that you don't need to spend 24/7 dwelving into photography.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 29th March 2012 at 01:16 PM.

TS, I like what I hear of your aspiration to be a 'professional' photographer. Many youngster your age is still without an idea what they wish to do but just take whatever comes their way.

However, you also need to consider the financial aspect of your family. If they need your support, you need to plan a bit more. You could take up some jobs that can bring in some decent income while you pursue this interest.

I hope you will manage and work this out. Dont look at problem as problems but challenges.

plan further...... earning is not issue, saving is...... not many can save enough..... HDB not cheap.....
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

It is usual for parents to try to re-live their lives through their children; usually for the better. i.e., parent try to right what they may have decided wrongly in their own lives. However, having said that, people often make the mistake of forming an impression too quickly and not moving on with the times. What may have been the correct decision for someone in their youth decades ago may be an incorrect decision for today. E.g., focusing on making a decent income quickly certainly was more important than chasing a dream. But today the stronger emphasis lies in chasing a dream.

But REMEMBER this…. Parents have only the best intentions for their children. Your mother is probably advising you based on the best of her knowledge. Perhaps, the only wrong is in the manner that she’s conveying it.

I applaud your focus in becoming a better photographer. As an earlier member mentioned, it is admirable that you have a career ambition at your age. When I was in my teens, I could only think of hanging out with my pals.

However your attitude towards embarking on a photographer’s journey leaves much to be desired. Nobody owes it to you to teach you the ropes. I think you’re being stuck-up by having the attitude that you can’t learn by watching others. Put yourself in the shoes of a photography business owner. In this business, your reputation counts. Would you risk your reputation by letting an untested/untrained intern get too hands on? Especially in dealing with clients? As a client, I will be very upset if the reputable photographer I hired delegated me to an intern. The photographer is doing you a favour by letting you watch and learn. If you can’t even appreciate that, then I suggest you work at McDonalds, where they will let you get hands-on from Day 1.

To TS, I had somewhat a similar situation but acted differently from yours.(afterall, we are unique individuals!)

My parents was not very supportive of me going for photography as they feel it is a unstable career and it might not be able to aid me in supporting myself in the future. I did not join any media clubs/photography clubs even though I really had a strong interest for photography.
    Instead, I used my time to go work part time jobs to gain more experience from other fields and mainly focus on studying first while continuing photography from time to time, sharing my works with my parents to gain my parents trust. Eventually after 4 years, they have finally changed their views about me & photography and strongly support me going for it.

But even now, I am still schooling and holding a part time job to support myself. As for photography, I continue honing my fundamentals during my off-days/free time and take on assignments as and when it is available.
    Thats my fair share of life story.

But my point to you is, photography can only be as an interest/hobby when you can't financially support yourself and your family. Once you can financially support yourself and your family, then you can go for photography as career.
    Even so, I doubt most professional photographers are 24/7 into photography you should broaden your circle and don't stuck on so much onto photography. Perhaps then, u might even gain a new perspective in things!

And... Probably about the quitting part. I'll suggest to you, that instead of letting things "suit" you. Try to be flexible and suit them instead, you will get to learn a lot more when you get out of your comfort zone! All in all, it is all about perception and your maturity.

PS for the long post. Just my few(probably alot) cents worth
    Serene Fotoworks Facebook Page :) | with my <3 Canon 600D

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    What problems do you face when you start out in photography?
    Lack of XXMs to pose for me.

So I have to settle for aunties:

It's a matter about perception...the way you view photography as a career is not the same as your mum. Your dad's not complaining as he thinks you're just having some fun during the holidays...
    Truth is absolute. Perceptions of truth are relative. Therefore, facts, which are perceptions of truth, are relative. Our perception is constantly changing as we increase the scope of our knowledge...what seems the right thing to do now might not be in a few years time (as you understand more about yourself)
    Cheers!

Somehow I got reminded of Mattlock's intern thread.

Do you know there are full time earning photographers out there would love to sweep studio floors and carry bags for more established photogs? Their hunger to learn and improve from working for other successful photogs way surpass their ego.

Did you expect people running business to lovingly spoon teach you like in school?

You have to find your own lessons, watching established photogs work is a privileged lesson by itself. Observe, wonder, and ponder, then ask intelligent questions. If you deserve the answers, you will get it. Or you can quit and say you learn nothing and people are just making use of you. If that is all you see, that is what you will be.

Good luck. Your mom had good points - if you worked at Macdonalds it might be more enriching for your social skills. It's not wrong to go the photo intern path either, just that you failed to adopt a humble learner's mentality.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Haha alright I'm glad it's still staying on the topic.

Let's just clarify some things. Or maybe "clarify" is a rather heavy word to use. But anyway,
    I'm not here for advice, but I'll gladly take them in. I'm more of wanting to, well, hear stories.
    I don't intend to have photography for full time job straight out either. I'm just taking things lightly while I'm still a kid.
    This thread's more about everyone here than just me telling stories. I'm just the tiny dot in the crowd and my first post shouldn't be taken as a main point of discussion.
    The way I communicate through texts is rather odd. It's gotten me into trouble many times since as long as I can remember, and I hope not this time too :/

Quote Originally Posted by Hanalore View Post
    It is usual for parents to try to re-live their lives through their children; usually for the better. i.e., parent try to right what they may have decided wrongly in their own lives. However, having said that, people often make the mistake of forming an impression too quickly and not moving on with the times. What may have been the correct decision for someone in their youth decades ago may be an incorrect decision for today. E.g., focusing on making a decent income quickly certainly was more important than chasing a dream. But today the stronger emphasis lies in chasing a dream.

But REMEMBER this…. Parents have only the best intentions for their children. Your mother is probably advising you based on the best of her knowledge. Perhaps, the only wrong is in the manner that she’s conveying it.

However your attitude towards embarking on a photographer’s journey leaves much to be desired. Nobody owes it to you to teach you the ropes. I think you’re being stuck-up by having the attitude that you can’t learn by watching others. Put yourself in the shoes of a photography business owner. In this business, your reputation counts. Would you risk your reputation by letting an untested/untrained intern get too hands on? Especially in dealing with clients? As a client, I will be very upset if the reputable photographer I hired delegated me to an intern. The photographer is doing you a favour by letting you watch and learn. If you can’t even appreciate that, then I suggest you work at McDonalds, where they will let you get hands-on from Day 1.
    Yeah I realised that. My father probably never had a problem with me not because he thinks I'm having fun, but because in the past he didn't make the same mistake. He always wanted to be a mechanic and he's living his dream now. He was terrible at studies but he's still surviving. My mom on the other hand is different. If her dad didn't send her to the city to study, she'll still be in Kampong now (not that she did well in the city). She more of wants me to be able to make a good income in the future: something that she was only capable of when I turned 12.

Actually the reason why I get to deal directly with clients now is simple. It's groupon deal. I don't mind clearing up the cheap services for him. I'll just have to forget the cheap part. As for the first internship, it's just 2 interns running around shooting. We learn from each other and from experience, which I can easily do with some Facebook friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenefotoworks View Post
    To TS, I had somewhat a similar situation but acted differently from yours.(afterall, we are unique individuals!)

My parents was not very supportive of me going for photography as they feel it is a unstable career and it might not be able to aid me in supporting myself in the future. I did not join any media clubs/photography clubs even though I really had a strong interest for photography.
    Instead, I used my time to go work part time jobs to gain more experience from other fields and mainly focus on studying first while continuing photography from time to time, sharing my works with my parents to gain my parents trust. Eventually after 4 years, they have finally changed their views about me & photography and strongly support me going for it.

But even now, I am still schooling and holding a part time job to support myself. As for photography, I continue honing my fundamentals during my off-days/free time and take on assignments as and when it is available.
    Thats my fair share of life story.
    That's nice. I just realised I forgot to include how I proved myself. Simple actually. I showed my interest to my teachers openly and they allowed me to cover hundreds of events. In fact, not that I'm boasting about my own capabilities, but there was once my teacher told the club that I'm like the only member there, covering all the events. The club president at that time happens to be my neighbour, so what my teacher said got to my Mom without me knowing. That's when my Mom realised that I'm serious. But I myself know that the reason I made it that far is not because I'm outstanding. It's because others just don't care much. But heck, as long as my Mom accepts me taking up photography, she'll support me (by not getting in the way) and I can continue learning what I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Somehow I got reminded of Mattlock's intern thread.

Do you know there are full time earning photographers out there would love to sweep studio floors and carry bags for more established photogs? Their hunger to learn and improve from working for other successful photogs way surpass their ego.

Did you expect people running business to lovingly spoon teach you like in school?

You have to find your own lessons, watching established photogs work is a privileged lesson by itself. Observe, wonder, and ponder, then ask intelligent questions. If you deserve the answers, you will get it. Or you can quit and say you learn nothing and people are just making use of you. If that is all you see, that is what you will be.

Good luck. Your mom had good points - if you worked at Macdonalds it might be more enriching for your social skills. It's not wrong to go the photo intern path either, just that you failed to adopt a humble learner's mentality.
    I don't mind carrying equipment to learn. I worked as an assistant a few times for studio shoots, just to find out how things go. But I realised it's not what I want so I'm back to events now.
    Nah~ People don't spoonfeed me in school. I had a trainer who taught me the basics of the exposure triangle. After that, he left for NIE to pursue his dreams of becoming a teacher. When he returned (as a trainee teacher), I realised I'm better than him already. Of course, I still see him as my trainer and respect him just as much. It's just that I can't learn from him anymore. As for the management side, my teachers didn't teach me how to manage things. They give quite a fair bit of problems, so I have to clean it up for them to make sure the club continues running. Learned from experience.

Just my general observation to TS, if u think u know too much, there is no way you will improve regardless where you go.

If you can't manage your family situation, you won't expect to be successful anywhere. Your family is your roots and without that you won't flourish. That's the basic structure in life.

I have seen you a few times at my business talk but you don't seems to know how to apply things in real life.

There is a huge distinction between knowing and doing.

Some come and learn, they absorb and they apply. Some come and listen but they think they know so much that whatever you told them, it is just arrive outside the ears and never got in,

Wish you best of luck as you will need a lot of miracles to make things happen with your current attitude.

Hart

Blog Entries

Let me set the ball rolling to be fair.
    It's my Mom. She wants me to join a sports or uniformed group CCA, saying that it'll help when I go to NS. Of course I refused. Who in the right mind spends 4 years training for 2 years of service when the same 4 years can be used to train for a lifetime work? .....

Now I finished my O levels and have been on holiday since end November. I didn't find a part time job like other students. Instead, I had 2 photography internships. I'm on the third one now. Quit the previous ones coz I had no interest in it. .
    life's too comfortable for you because there seems to be so many options for you to choose from at your age ..... so cherish this luxury ... the irony of this is that one seldom appreciates the availability and freedom of these choices available

NS will be good for you
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

we're straying off the main point again -.- nvm thread closed

Blog Entries

we're straying off the main point again -.- nvm thread closed
    u just proved our point
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Sorry. Thread open. Don't know what I was thinking when I closed it. Mind's kinda messed up today

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast