Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: This is "practice" common?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default This is "practice" common?

    just called up a company who posted here in CS.was told to do a 30 min "test shoot" on a low light performance (flash not allowed) to see my skills.
    I will not be paid n not required to submit the photos.I did mention i have a portfolio but he says he has no time to view.

    just wonder if this is a common practice??
    should i be expecting a ok paying assignment??

  2. #2

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    just called up a company who posted here in CS.was told to do a 30 min "test shoot" on a low light performance (flash not allowed) to see my skills.
    I will not be paid n not required to submit the photos.I did mention i have a portfolio but he says he has no time to view.

    just wonder if this is a common practice??
    should i be expecting a ok paying assignment??
    Sounds like B.S. or to see if you have a high-end pro-looking camera. LOL
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    hi rashkae. long time no see.
    ya lor... i was thinking of the same thing...
    heng i have a "high-end pro-looking camera" + a long len..lol.

    i also not sure what kind of peanuts they r paying...

  4. #4

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    hi rashkae. long time no see.
    ya lor... i was thinking of the same thing...
    heng i have a "high-end pro-looking camera" + a long len..lol.

    i also not sure what kind of peanuts they r paying...
    Best to ask for what type of event, etc beforehand. If they are a serious company, there should be no problem telling you this.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    they did.
    low light performance n not allowed to flash
    lighting controlled by the preformance.
    my guess is dancing?

  6. #6

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    they did.
    low light performance n not allowed to flash
    lighting controlled by the preformance.
    my guess is dancing?
    '

    Or concert.
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    They got 30mins to test you (plus creating that test itself) but don't have 10mins to view portfolio?

    After you shot for 30mins, they then got even more time to review your SOOC pics?

    Sound very weird leh... Definitely not very norm.

    You know some events hire a lot of people pretending to be photogrs to make appearance of a major media covered event.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    I am at the vent area now n yes it's a very very big event.
    Was told by official shooter to shoot at iso 12800iso, submit photos n delete.
    But the company "testing" me said otherwise over the phone. Let's see how this will lead.

  9. #9

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    I am at the vent area now n yes it's a very very big event.
    Was told by official shooter to shoot at iso 12800iso, submit photos n delete.
    But the company "testing" me said otherwise over the phone. Let's see how this will lead.
    What a "company" which is the ad that was posted ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Lol. Just spoke to the guy. As what the official shooter said, I'm required to submit n delete
    the company says the same. So I told him
    He can review my shots in the cam n if ok, hire me n use my shots. All he can say is it's my boss.
    So I just said thanks n walked off. Lol. No wonder they extended the deadline n still can't get shooters. Lol

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Feels like this company don't really care how the shots turn out cos official shooter's company is editing the pics. N I was told chief shooter is shooting in P mode?!

  12. #12

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    This is a good way to rob photogrs of their imagery rights. Sometimes for certain high key events the organisers want exclusivity to the pictures, thus have to upload immediately and 'wipe cards' thereafter, but as long as photogs are paid accordingly it's ok. But if they never stipulate or discuss rates with you prior and only disclose such requirements on site, it's quite obvious they are trying to see if you will bend under last minute pressure. Plus it's even more mehhh that they will only pay if they think pics up to their standard. No need to pay cancellation feed this way. Good call to walk off.

    Btw what event?
    Last edited by sjackal; 29th March 2012 at 03:27 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    They got 30mins to test you (plus creating that test itself) but don't have 10mins to view portfolio?

    After you shot for 30mins, they then got even more time to review your SOOC pics?

    Sound very weird leh... Definitely not very norm.

    You know some events hire a lot of people pretending to be photogrs to make appearance of a major media covered event.
    SOOC?

  14. #14

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    SOOC?
    Straight Out Of Camera
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  15. #15

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Lemme guess... Event at indoor stadium next Saturday?
    My photo page: TDR Photography

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    This is a good way to rob photogrs of their imagery rights. Sometimes for certain high key events the organisers want exclusivity to the pictures, thus have to upload immediately and 'wipe cards' thereafter, but as long as photogs are paid accordingly it's ok. But if they never stipulate or discuss rates with you prior and only disclose such requirements on site, it's quite obvious they are trying to see if you will bend under last minute pressure. Plus it's even more mehhh that they will only pay if they think pics up to their standard. No need to pay cancellation feed this way. Good call to walk off.

    Btw what event?
    ya...
    they even setup a counter to sell the pics.
    $30 for a photo.
    $120 for tabletop album.lol..
    i wont say which event/thread.
    but if one is smart... not hard to find out. :P

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheoDR View Post
    Lemme guess... Event at indoor stadium next Saturday?
    it's happening RIGHT NOW!loln they r still "looking" foe shooters.

  18. #18

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    it's happening RIGHT NOW!loln they r still "looking" foe shooters.
    Haha, oh ya, paisey paisey, googled some more after replying.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    Anyway, I do hope no one falls prey to this company tho.
    N many thanks to all who advised/replied!!!

  20. #20

    Default Re: This is "practice" common?

    One Fighting Championship?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •