Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to climb Kinabalu.. help me pic my lens plz!!!

Default Re: Going to climb Kinabalu.. help me pic my lens plz!!!

Just bring one lens is enough unless like you said you are young and fit... I just bring a Rangefinder with one lens and that all...
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Canon efs 18-200
    Canon efs 10-22

I reckoned that you won't be there till night right?
    its usually a 3D2N climb.

and from the climb to the peak... it started at 2am in the morning dark.

I will still advise TS to just bring 1 lens.

1kg of equipment in the mountains will be like you are carrying 5-10kg of equipment. It's really no joke.

You wun have much time to change lens when u are up around the peak anyway.

This path up to the peak in the dark is already very "dangerous"... this path is like only 1 feet (your feet) wide. Imagine carrying so much equipments and climbing up the peak in the dark morning?
    Last edited by sinned79; 29th March 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Totally agreed on the fitness portion. i almost die up there..Up without any training and will be my first and last one.
    Not sure how i made it up

Quote Originally Posted by Verticoastro View Post
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times]Hasselblad XPan | Hasselblad 45mm f4 | Kodak Portra 160VC
    ------------------------------------------------

This year is my 4th attempt, this year I have training and preparations. I reach the summit quite effortlessly. I think the Nepal trekking trip also have a part to play in my altitude management and the trekking fitness is still there... although a bit slower then those youngsters, I manage to reach summit at 6am...

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    its usually a 3D2N climb.

and from the climb to the peak... it started at 2am in the morning dark.

I will still advise TS to just bring 1 lens.

1kg of equipment in the mountains will be like you are carrying 5-10kg of equipment. It's really no joke.

You wun have much time to change lens when u are up around the peak anyway.

This path up to the peak in the dark is already very "dangerous"... this path is like only 1 feet (your feet) wide. Imagine carrying so much equipments and climbing up the peak in the dark morning?
    Feel like climbing Mt. Kinabalu again after seeing all those pic. Last trip was 10 years ago and I only took photo with my eyes and store inside my brain.

I remember one part have to climb up and down of an almost 90 degree cliff. When going up at dark never notice it, when come down after sun rise if fall down from there you will wish you have magnesium alloy skin and bone...

O ya please be careful and don't wander too far off from the white ropes. The mountain is sacred to the locals, they belief the dead spirits use the path to go to heaven. Few climbers got lost and died previously...
    Last edited by JohnJon82; 29th March 2012 at 11:09 PM.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    I remember one part have to climb up and down of an almost 90 degree cliff. When going up at dark never notice it, when come down after sun rise if fall down from there you will wish you have magnesium alloy skin and bone...

yup that's the path after this small narrow path. I also got a shock when its daylight and making my trip down from the peak.... in fact i got frightened out so badly i nearly can't walk lol (dunno why... but as i grew older i became fear of heights - although i want to overcome this fear by doing a sky diving trip in Australia next mth!) ! So really think about it if u want to bring so many equipments... its not a walk in the park walking on flat land like you always do. keep the equipments to the minimum to keep yourself mobile. unless u are paying the guide to carry your equipments, i will say for the third time. just keep to one lens and 10-22 is the answer.

Thanks for all the response guys...
    No worries i have been climbing floors with 10kg backpack for some time now... think it will be ok=]
    Let you guys know how it goes when i am back
    Thanks!

well... climbing floors and out in the real world can mean world of differences (of cos such preparations are always good). Anyway, All the best to you. Have fun.
    ^.^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12