Thread: Bangkok- Chiang Ra i- Chiang Khong

Question Bangkok- Chiang Ra i- Chiang Khong

Hi CSers,

i will travel to Thailand for about 2 weeks and the route would be Bangkok - Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong.
    this will be my first trip to Thailand and therefore, i would like to get any advice for this trip on great spots that any photographers could not have missed(all my parents emphasized is the Golden Triangle).

if possible, an advice on 3G prepaid micro-sim in Thailand would be a great help

regards,
    R

Default Re: Bangkok- Chiang Ra i- Chiang Khong

i was up at 美斯乐(mei si le), which the chiang rai pple touted as 'little taiwan'. hmm, mountainous area which cannot be accessed with big tour buses. my family had to transit at the foot of the mountain, onto small mini vans, before heading up to our resort.

my virgin try at capturing star trails:

this was not the best spot as i discovered the next morning. regretted not exploring more to the lower part of the resort, as it was quite dark at midnight and the weather was chilly.

here's the sunrise from the same spot again, the next morning:

notice the stair area by the right side of the frame. that's the best spot for star trails IMO, because from there you can have the whole unobstructed view of the sky and mountains ahead, really really nice. only realised it when i had breakfast at the area, the next morning.

erm, i forgot the resort name already.
    Last edited by tecnica; 28th March 2012 at 07:43 PM.

bro, after some googling, i found the place:
    Maesalong Flower Hills Resort Chiang Rai Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

erm, allow me to share a bit more of my trip in end jan 2012. mei si le, situated right at the northern tip of thailand, is also known as mae sa long. background history is, this place was formed by descendents from the old kuo min tang members who were expelled from china and had to seek refuge at chiang rai. so, the natives there generally can speak mandarin. weather there was cool during the day time and chilly at night. prolly ranging from 15dc to 28dc.

sharing some photos which i took:

a local village around the area

the native of mei si le

setting up stalls by the roadside

sakura trees, pity that i forgot to take a close up shot of the flower. how could i!

i not sure if you have time to visit the Doi Tung royal villa, former residence of the Late Princess mother (mother of the present king) Somdej Phra Srinagarindra, located high up on the hill. very serene and nice place, with beautiful flowers at Mae Fah Luang Gardens leading up to the villa.

en route to doi tung royal villa

flowers, everywhere.

a view from the late princess mother's royal villa.

outside the villa.

of cos, the golden triangle is one place not to be missed.

lunch before hitting the golden triangle tourist area. laos on the opposite bank.

opium museum.

the buddha statue overlooking the mekong river.

if you are daring enough, can actually arrange to cross the myanmar border from golden triangle, into the town of tachilek. our tour guide was pretty experienced, so he arrange everything, we just cross the customs without even having to stop to have our passport inspected. our tour guide call this the 'VIP treatment'.

i have photos from tachilek but i guess it's not so relevant here. anyway, can view my trip photos here:
    Chiang Mai, Thailand 2012

PS: let me know if i'm taking up too much of your thread, will remove my posts on request.
    Last edited by tecnica; 28th March 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Hey bro,

first of all, sorry to let u have all the trouble giving me advice, thanks a lot for the tips, these posts would at least give me an idea on what to expect from the places
    As it's my first time, and still not sure what to expect after doing some research. you're a great help bro!

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    if you are daring enough, can actually arrange to cross the myanmar border from golden triangle, into the town of tachilek. our tour guide was pretty experienced, so he arrange everything, we just cross the customs without even having to stop to have our passport inspected. our tour guide call this the 'VIP treatment'.

i have photos from tachilek but i guess it's not so relevant here. anyway, can view my trip photos here:
    Chiang Mai, Thailand 2012

PS: let me know if i'm taking up too much of your thread, will remove my posts on request.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyZilla92 View Post
    Hey bro,

first of all, sorry to let u have all the trouble giving me advice, thanks a lot for the tips, these posts would at least give me an idea on what to expect from the places
    As it's my first time, and still not sure what to expect after doing some research. you're a great help bro!
    my pleasure bro. it was my first time at chiangmai, chiangrai too. i think the weather has started to warm up already, so it may not be as cool as in january.

if you really are to visit mei si le, be sure to check out their village area plus morning market. they have got nice food to provide for your breakfast.

yeah, out of the places i went to, the above mentioned 3 are highly recommended for you to visit.

but you gotta reign in the time spent, cos you need to visit 2 other cities as well.

oh ya, have to add, though you see my star trail photo is quite bright, actually the place was really dark, i tried to use my flash light to illuminate the leaves ahead, but the camera still can't focus.

in the end i have to manual focus to the brighter area, haha. somemore i was standing on a ledge with no raillings. too dark to see how deep was the drop anyway.

have fun!
    Last edited by tecnica; 28th March 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    my pleasure bro. it was my first time at chiangmai, chiangrai too. i think the weather has started to warm up already, so it may not be as cool as in january.

if you really are to visit mei si le, be sure to check out their village area plus morning market. they have got nice food to provide for your breakfast.

yeah, out of the places i went to, the above mentioned 3 are highly recommended for you to visit.

but you gotta reign in the time spent, cos you need to visit 2 other cities as well.

oh ya, have to add, though you see my star trail photo is quite bright, actually the place was really dark, i tried to use my flash light to illuminate the leaves ahead, but the camera still can't focus.

in the end i have to manual focus to the brighter area, haha. somemore i was standing on a ledge with no raillings. too dark to see how deep was the drop anyway.

have fun!