Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do DSLR lenses last?

Default How long do DSLR lenses last?

Hi,

just wanted to ask what is the average lifespan of such lenses? And how often do you guys send your lens for maintenance? 2nd hand lenses without warranty often deter me from getting them even though it may be a good deal, but I realised if they can last quite a while it might be worth it anyways!

Default Re: How long do DSLR lenses last?

What DSLR lenses are you talking about? For fully manual lenses, if taken good care of, it can last for ages. I have a couple of lenses that are actually older than myself and I am not exactly young. I also had an old 300mm f4L (non-IS) which is pretty old already.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

That's cool. I was referring to some of the more common ones with AF and IS, like the kit lenses perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by duffo View Post
    That's cool. I was referring to some of the more common ones with AF and IS, like the kit lenses perhaps.
    Well that depends on the specific lens. There are some Canon kit lenses infamous for breaking their internal cable, but that's an easy fix, and does not affect the glass/optics. So the same thing applies - in theory, barring fungus, drops into a volcano, etc, your lens can last for longer than you will ever use it.
    Alpha

Haha oh I see. I looked through the links you mentioned and yea it seems like it varies greatly for different situations and really depends on your luck... I guess I should just enjoy whatever I have instead of worrying so much of when it will spoil! Lol...

Haha oh I see. I looked through the links you mentioned and yea it seems like it varies greatly for different situations and really depends on your luck... I guess I should just enjoy whatever I have instead of worrying so much of when it will spoil! Lol...
    Yeah not to worry. Lenses doesn't have shutter counts like body
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

You need to keep lubbing your lenses. Must always lub them deep, deep.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    You need to keep lubbing your lenses. Must always lub them deep, deep.
    And wash them regularly with soap and water. Best to use a loofah too, they like that.
    Alpha

If it's zoom lenses, esp super teles, i think a more common problem is zoom creep (i think that's what it's called). Inconvenient but doesnt affect IQ..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

long lenses last perhaps 3 minutes? the lens mount is the one that enjoys everything

I suppose some of them are made before WWII and still usable till now. I believe lenses will last longer than your camera body and yourself

TS, my advise is to enjoy your lens, take proper care of it... if it is gonna spoil, it is gonna spoil. Afterall kit lenses are generally not that expensive to buy, when it was spoilt, replace it with a new one or take it as a chance to upgrade to other lenses.

Manual lenses (without any electronic parts in it) lasted pretty long, like I have mentioned before, some of my lenses are older than myself. And modern lenses can last pretty long too (my 300mm f4L non-IS is a good example). As to lens creep, well... if that happen, don't bother bringing it down to service centre to do servicing, creep will return sooner than you expect. Just use one or a couple of rubber band and that will solve all problem (this is not intented as a joke, it is a proven method and it works).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Yea my 18-200 does have zoom creep but I'm not so bothered by it as long as IQ is not affected...

Well thanks all for the replies. Great I will get down to using the lens instead of fussing over when it will die, haha.

Cheers

P.S. I recommend using Crabtree & Evelyn soap to wash the lens. I tried Lux and it malfunctioned. I think it prefers good quality soap. Good quality soap = better IQ

Yea my 18-200 does have zoom creep but I'm not so bothered by it as long as IQ is not affected...

Well thanks all for the replies. Great I will get down to using the lens instead of fussing over when it will die, haha.

Cheers

P.S. I recommend using Crabtree & Evelyn soap to wash the lens. I tried Lux and it malfunctioned. I think it prefers good quality soap. Good quality soap = better IQ
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by duffo

Cheers

you wash your lens with soap? how do you remove the soap? rinse under running water? didnt know you could do that..

Quote Originally Posted by meganut View Post
    you wash your lens with soap? how do you remove the soap? rinse under running water? didnt know you could do that..
    Duffo was joking. Please don't dunk you lens in soapy water. You may corrode the lens coating.

hahaha nope i wont...

for a moment i thought he really did it and i think maybe thats why he found his 18-200 alittle different now

Haha oops disclaimer- that was a joke

Haha oops disclaimer- that was a joke
    Whoa.. Duffo best lor. You asked question and we tried to answer; after you are enlightened you troll others..

Just kidding, peace =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast