Thread: Need help in taking pictures using aperture mode

Default Need help in taking pictures using aperture mode

Hi all, I have just bought my firdt dslr and tried shooting with aperture mode. However some of the pictures turned out to be blur and there was no focus point. I did a focus before taking the pictures. Is there anyone who can provide some pointers? Thanks.

Default Re: Need help in taking pictures using aperture mode

Quote Originally Posted by kaixinxuan View Post
    Hi all, I have just bought my firdt dslr and tried shooting with aperture mode. However some of the pictures turned out to be blur and there was no focus point. I did a focus before taking the pictures. Is there anyone who can provide some pointers? Thanks.
    perhaps the shutter speed is too low, hence camera and subject movement causing motion blur.

you can either

1 use flash,
    2 using bigger aperture
    3 increase ISO
    4 use tripod
    5 installs more light or move to a brighter place.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Does your camera have a superimposed focus point indicator or just a focus confirm indicator?

Likely reasons :
    1. You did not focus on what you wanted to be in focus
    2. Too wide aperture used (not enough DOF)
    3. Too slow shutter speed
    4. Combination of 1-3.

Hmm, there can be many reasons why your picture is blurred.
    it might be easier to post one with the EXIF data intact.

anyway, some quick checks:
    1. check your aperture, what is it you set it to? f2.8? f5.6? f22?
    - smaller aperture is brighter; aka f2.8 is brighter than f5.6; and will allow for a faster shutter speed. of course shooting at f2.8 is not exactly ideal for every situation

2. then look at your shutter speed when you shoot, is it 1/200? 1/60? 1/8?
    - faster shutter speed means less chance of handshake, motion blur, etc, usually anything less than 1/60 (depending on lens) is considered a slow shutter speed.

For more accurate diagnosis... upload a pic here for us to have a look. or whatever we say are all base on guesswork, which might be totally different from what is happening.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

i assume you are using A mode or Aperture Pirority mode where the user (you) select the aperture and the camera will select the shutter speed

yes probably shooting at too low speed

what are the exif info in the image ?

just speculation ............... but you likedly shot low ISO, at high f-stop in low light which caused the camera to release shutter at a low enough speed to cause the blur ?

p/s what focus mode were you on and what was distance to subject ?

show the photo in question
    Last edited by ed9119; 27th March 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

ooo many nice seniors volunteered to help in matter of minutes! if you need info for posting photos maybe check out this 2 pages:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/artic...ap-forums.html
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/artic...re-flickr.html

If I shoot at aperture priority mode, I always observe the change in your shutter speed. Lowest i cap at 1/60 or your success rate will be lower. If its slower than that, i pump iso. Use lower iso if possible, it affects image quality

Just post your pics up in tinypic or something. In aperature the shutter is in auto and tends to slow down especially low light. That's when the camera's iq drops, shutter becomes slower and shots blurry due to it. Of course, having steady hand helps, but it's also time to learn manual, otherwise stick to P, don't be a hero when you're not ready for it yet
    However what happens when you approach a car mechanic without bringing your car, and asks him to find out what's wrong with it? It gets irritating right

Most probably you are shooting in a rather dark room? Like what the seniors have mentioned. It might be due to many factors.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Perhaps posting the exif data will help here.

You mentioned that your pic has no focal point - what AF mode were you shooting in? Were you doing a focus and recompose?
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

I don't think TS knows what is exif data, he just bought his camera.. @TS Yes like the guys said here, most likely your shutter speed is low. Move to a brighter area or use the in built flash. However do read the user manual. As said by millions, it is really helpful! Cheers

turn up your iso. (2nd highest)

if you did get focus lockon thru viewfinder but picture blurry, could be due to shaky hand or long shutter time.

try this, to diagnose. set your dslr on a solid surface eg table, in the environment you are shooting in. acquire focus lockon by halfpress on the shutter button. press shutter button all the way gently. compare tablemounted image vs handheld image. if tablemounted image is sharper then the shutter speed too long.

either increase the light, open the aperture wider ( make the Aperture number smaller) ;
    or use tripod.

hi... it may sound silly..... if Aperture priority... is it not by default its auto on shutter speed and iso mode?
    hence, whats his set up..? on AF mode select? MF mode select ? ISO setting (auto/manual) ?
    if he needs to adjust his iso, shutter speed. why not then shoot in Program mode at auto setting?
    just my thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by zinc7373 View Post
    hi... it may sound silly..... if Aperture priority... is it not by default its auto on shutter speed and iso mode?
    hence, whats his set up..? on AF mode select? MF mode select ? ISO setting (auto/manual) ?
    if he needs to adjust his iso, shutter speed. why not then shoot in Program mode at auto setting?
    just my thoughts.....
    For Aperture Priority, user sets aperture and ISO, camera only determines shutter speed.

We're all waiting for TS to tell us more..
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

Quote Originally Posted by zinc7373 View Post
    just my thoughts.....
    1) In Aperture Priority, it is NOT by default to have auto ISO mode. You can set the ISO you want...
    2) In Aperture Priority mode, he do not need to adjust the shutter speed, but he can raise the shutter speed if his ISO is set higher, or he adjust his exposure compensation.
    3) Why would he need to shoot in program mode? He is shooting at aperture priority, and that is perfectly fine, I shoot at aperture priority all the time, unless i find that I need to control shutter speed, then I shoot at either shutter speed priority or full manual mode.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    1) In Aperture Priority, it is NOT by default to have auto ISO mode. You can set the ISO you want...
    2) In Aperture Priority mode, he do not need to adjust the shutter speed, but he can raise the shutter speed if his ISO is set higher, or he adjust his exposure compensation.
    3) Why would he need to shoot in program mode? He is shooting at aperture priority, and that is perfectly fine, I shoot at aperture priority all the time, unless i find that I need to control shutter speed, then I shoot at either shutter speed priority or full manual mode.

Yap.... agreed.....

Hi all, thanks for the advise. Just managed to log into the forum. The problem with my pictures due to focus point. I did not do the focus correctly and also I was shooting in a rather dark room without flash. Just did an outdoor shoot at SBG today. Managed to try out the AV mode. Pretty decent photos of course not the best. It was windy when I was shooting some flowers, the photos became blur. So I tried the M mode, adjusted the aperture and faster shutter. Its helps in the pic. Quite happy with my first shoot.

Hi all, thanks for the advise. Just managed to log into the forum. The problem with my pictures due to focus point. I did not do the focus correctly and also I was shooting in a rather dark room without flash. Just did an outdoor shoot at SBG today. Managed to try out the AV mode. Pretty decent photos of course not the best. It was windy when I was shooting some flowers, the photos became blur. So I tried the M mode, adjusted the aperture and faster shutter. Its helps in the pic. Quite happy with my first shoot.
    hahahaaa...... ok ok .... no wonder...
    Nonetheless its Great to see you are happy with taking pics now.... do have fun and enjoy taking more pics.....
    the more you take/ test diff mode.... the better you (or rather we all will get) get....
    Just keep having fun in mind and all will be well...
    cheers.....