Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad experience with Alan Photo

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    I think the shutter count can be reset. (I think only har...) Even if you swapped MS, it will continue the sequence if you din reset it.

I think you might have a case against them. Maybe you can lodge a complain to CASE against the retailer or let Sony Singapore know. While its not possible for CASE or Sony to replace a new set, they can at least deal with the errant dealer.

9000+ photos is alot!

He went to Sony Bugis for help. The people there are only for sales. Wrong channal. Should write in to Sony Singapore's HQ.
    while CASE cannot replace a new set, Sony(HQ) here can if they want to. if you have a case, the pressure from CASE will likely evoke some action from them. another option, Small Claims Tribunals if the purchase price is not more than S$2,000(pls check, can't be sure now).

How we check the shutter count? It not cheap to service the shutter leh.... and if the shutter count is 9000++ when u brought it is alot loh...

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    while CASE cannot replace a new set, Sony(HQ) here can if they want to. if you have a case, the pressure from CASE will likely evoke some action from them. another option, Small Claims Tribunals if the purchase price is not more than S$2,000(pls check, can't be sure now).
    Of cause Sony can if they want to. But its not their fault, will they do so?
    Even if its out of goodwill.....V3.....not cheap leh. They and CASE will prob help mudsoap whack AP's butt
    But i think that it is hard to prove that its a display set or used set. Esp if he delays action. Must complain asap!

Quote Originally Posted by clarinet
    How we check the shutter count? It not cheap to service the shutter leh.... and if the shutter count is 9000++ when u brought it is alot loh...
    DSC000001?
    IMG000001?
    DSCN000001?
    PICT000001?

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Small Claims Tribunals if the purchase price is not more than S$2,000(pls check, can't be sure now).

consumers' protection!
    The new limit now is S$10,000.00.

DSC000001?
    IMG000001?
    DSCN000001?
    PICT000001?
    how about canon DSLR? same way?
    Last edited by clarinet; 18th December 2004 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarinet
    how about conon DSLR? same way?
    Should be the same i guess. I'm not into DSLR. Maybe the DSLR owners can help?

BTW, whats conon DSLR?

before you get all excited over this, think back to when you bought the set. which memory stick did you use to test the cam? dont confuse shutter count with image sequence number. if the memory stick already had photos on it, the cam will usually continue from whatever sequence number was already there. also i dont know if sony guarantees that the number starts from 0 when it leaves the factory.

to find out what the actual shutter count is you may have to send it in to sony service center. this is the same for canon. when i got my 10d my image sequence number was like 7000+. i recently sent my cam for servicing and they told me the shutter count was 5300+. not many cams have publicly available software that gives you the shutter count.

so be very sure that you have a case before bringing this further.

Lightbulb

Of cause Sony can if they want to. But its not their fault, will they do so?
    AP is the agent(presumably) of Sony, their principal. I cannot see why Sony is not interested in this case as it is their product.

The filename continuation is inaccurate. Meaning if you had used an old MS Stick, the file count will continue from your old MS Stick number. So do be sure of this before you go to CASE.

Secondly, it's true for Nikon/Canon cams that the easiest way to check if your set is new at purchase is to power it up. New cams with new internal batts will require you to fill in the date and time. This is quite a reliable indicator as to whether your cam has been fondled before. Then again, of cos they could remove the batts, but havent seen nor heard of that yet.

Should be the same i guess. I'm not into DSLR. Maybe the DSLR owners can help?

BTW, whats conon DSLR?
    canon... typo

thanks all for ur opinions. hope i didn't make this a 'shop flaming' post. I'm just making sure i didn't get cheated.

also, to answer some of the earlier posts,
    - i formatted the memory card using laptop. so it is not a 'continuation 'from a previous counter whatsoever. Moreover, the filename is independent on the card used.
    - nope, the camera date & time is not set when i purchased
    - as for the 'good name', i've seen some posts recommending AP, MS Color, Cathay.. etc so i automatically think these are the better shops to buy cameras from.
    - lastly, after checking with sony, I realise i'll have to pay additonal $100 for the extended warranty. nevertheless, the memory stick voucher thing still pisses me off...

so...

After spending the whole afternoon walk a few rounds back and forth SLS & Bugis Junction and a couple of camera shops asking about it, I think i'm left with 2 choices.

choice 1: according to one cam shop near To burger King in bugis , the guy said it's is not an issue for consumer digi cam, as they don't have 'shutter blades' like DSLRs. And that some DSLRs he sells also have filenames starting from thousands onwards, and i don't hv to worry about the filename being DSC9000++.jpg.

chioce 2: i make a call to sony HQ to pursue the matter, insist to acquire a shutter count for the cam. May or may not be successfu though.

either way, i'm still unsatisfied with the service offer by that two guys. (i'm being kind by not stereotype-ing all the sales staff in AP). i'll definitely re-consider when buying expensive items from them again.

Been down to AP a few times, and the service I've gotten is as if I'm wasting their time. Black faces and heck care attitude. And mind you, I merely checked out the prices of some lenses.....

I'm happier shopping at MS, CP and John3:16......

there are some black faces at AP, but there are also some good salesmen there. you have to look around and talk to a few.

so far I've gotten good service and bargain prices at AP. Of course I return to the same saleman everytime, cos he knows I've been patronising the shop, and can give me good prices.

If you talk to the salesman and he is impatient even when you're asking prices, then talk to another guy lor. simple as that.

I'm sure it's the same at other shops.

I think for non-DSLRs, meaning P&S and even prosumer like G6, F828 etc, there is no mechanical shutter mechanism to worry about. If you take a photo with such camera, and there is no mechanical click sound, or if the shutter sound can be turned off (wave file beep, click or barking or whatever), you don't really have to worry about shutter mechanism wearing out. At most it's a small electromagnetic shutter, which can take a more heavy duty cycle than entry level to mid range DSLRs. Some consumer P&S have only the electronic "shutter" on the CCD.

Quote Originally Posted by eudoofus
    there are some black faces at AP, but there are also some good salesmen there. you have to look around and talk to a few.

so far I've gotten good service and bargain prices at AP. Of course I return to the same saleman everytime, cos he knows I've been patronising the shop, and can give me good prices.

If you talk to the salesman and he is impatient even when you're asking prices, then talk to another guy lor. simple as that.

I'm sure it's the same at other shops.
    You bet I did !!! Perhaps, I asked all the wrong guys???

But then again.....since I've also encountered bad service in AP, henceforth sharing my encounters too.

I guess everybody has their personal fav stores after all......

I always do this at shops that are managed by Ah Bengs and Ah Sengs. Walk in there, tell them what I want, ask them for the price after GST, no matter what price they propose, I will always propose to them my price and let them know my payment mode, even if it may seem relatively lower than their price. If they are willing to negotiate, they will conter propose. If we cannot agree on a price, say thank you and leave. If we can agree on the price, ask for the item and inspect it throughly, if an item needs a power source to check, ask for it. e.g. MP3 players, PDAs and especially cameras. Ask for the warranty card, read the validity of the warranty. Ask for the official retailer stamp on the warranty card. Pay my money, say thank you and leave.

No Ah Beng Ah Seng shop is gonna give you great service, in the best case scenario, they give you a great price. In the worst case scenario, they rip you off by selling a crap item at an inflated price. When you step in there, you should know where you stand i.e. give me a good price, I don't need anything else.

As for you, treat this as a cheap lesson. There are many more expensive lessons that will come your way, big ticket items like house, car, computers, furniture etc etc

Deregistered

you're talking about people who are selling equipment with $$$ on their minds, and closing the deal, rather than passionate folks, especially at sim lim, amongst many places.

Default More $$$, better service

Don't you realize a new marketing strategy is spreading?? Giving same goods with cheaper prices, but no service at all. The choice is yours. Buy from them at the cheapest price, but don't expect any service. Or, buy from others, but more expensive....

It's not only AP. It's happening everywhere...

Ah yes, can reset. But dun reset it mudsoap, if you reset it, you dun have a case liao.
    what case? aiyo, some of u still dun understand. pls read the posts by madmacs, DaNi3L and i. the file numbering could have been caused by someone putting an old memory stick into the new camera.

there is no case to talk about, unless you can prove that the one who put in that old memory stick is the seller and not you, and also prove that by putting old memory sticks into new cameras means that the new cameras are no longer brand new, and should be replaced.

as for the shutter count thing, i understand that lately in the "buy and sell" section of clubsnap, more and more people are obsessed with asking for the shutter count, compared to the past when it only mattered for dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by dlee
    Don't you realize a new marketing strategy is spreading?? Giving same goods with cheaper prices, but no service at all. The choice is yours. Buy from them at the cheapest price, but don't expect any service. Or, buy from others, but more expensive....

It's not only AP. It's happening everywhere...
    Hmm..... TCW is one shop that provides service at a good price perhaps?

Many shops that sell cheap stuff don't seem willing to serve customers well. Video-Pro (the one upstairs that sells PC stuff) was notorious for poor attitude in the past, despite their low price. Likewise, ABC Bargain Centre don't care what you're looking for, as their stuff are usually dirt cheap and they have no time to chat with customers. InkStation, selling cheap Continuous Inking System, is no exception, as I just found out today.

Want good customer service? Pay more or spend some time hunting. TCW is a good shop to go to. Hope they remain that way.

thanks frcfyp for clarifying. here's my two cents worth..

Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    what case? aiyo, some of u still dun understand. pls read the posts by madmacs, DaNi3L and i. the file numbering could have been caused by someone putting an old memory stick into the new camera.
    as i said, the file numbering should be independent of the memory card, as i have tried formatting card and the filename continues. i believe the only way to restart the filename counter is to reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    there is no case to talk about, unless you can prove that the one who put in that old memory stick is the seller and not you, and also prove that by putting old memory sticks into new cameras means that the new cameras are no longer brand new, and should be replaced.
    i think from the start, my case is to find out whether the filename has any issue with shutter count, as i was worried from seeing 9000+ . after which, as some of the posts mentioned it's not an problem with digi cams. also madmacs mentioned, there's no guarantee that the cam leaves the factory with '0'.

My intention was to find out if the cam has been used intensively before (even though it looks new), hopefully through the filename or shutter count. And, i just learnt today, even some DSLRs have filename starting from few thousand when being sold.

conclusion is , i probably will never know the shutter count anytime soon, or ever. cos if i choose ask sony to check for me, it'll prob take some weeks. or some one may write a software to decode some hidden counters in v3??

Anyway, moving forward, next time when buying an unfamiliar product, i'm going to ask som 'lao jiao' along leow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast