Thread: Need some help in a wedding shoot.

Default Need some help in a wedding shoot.

My first wedding shoot..

What kind of lens should i take along?

70-200? As recommended by some? or the 17-40? 28-70?

Kinda confused. But the premises are small.. Torn between the choices, cos i dun wanna do too many lens swap. Or anyone can recommend a good third party lens, with a good range.

Oh yeah.. Is there any sites with 3rd part lens reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by primal_discord
    My first wedding shoot..

Kinda confused. But the premises are small.. Torn between the choices, cos i dun wanna do too many lens swap.
    Hi,

Think i can only help you in the first qn.

I will normally use a 17-35 f2.8 throughout the whole day. Weddings shouldn't have much of a prob moving around and getting closer to the couple. 12-24 is also one of my fav. If I'm paid to do some creative shots, then my 80-200 comes into play.

Of course like what you've mentioned, the premises are small. So a 70-200 would get you a rather close up shots. WA helps you to include more of your surrounding in which tells a better story. But that's my style of shooting of course!

Hope the above helps a little.

I USE 17-40 and 24-80
    dun bring too many lens.. no time to change
    and bery heavy

Just a tot..... does anyone here uses prime lenses exclusively for weddings?

got...
    last time when i first started..
    hahahaha
    85/1.8
    jus to take close up for the bride!
    but as in time to come.. u will find it too heavy n useless
    :P

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Hedge
    Just a tot..... does anyone here uses prime lenses exclusively for weddings?
    What a photographer uses for their shots are solely dependant on their style and per request of the client.

No lar....I'm just wondering...that's all. I shoot exclusively on primes. Somehow, I dun see many wedding photographers doing that these days. Maybe, zoom lenses have reached a point that they are also very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    What a photographer uses for their shots are solely dependant on their style and per request of the client.

My first wedding shoot..

Kinda confused. But the premises are small.. Torn between the choices, cos i dun wanna do too many lens swap. Or anyone can recommend a good third party lens, with a good range.

Oh yeah.. Is there any sites with 3rd part lens reviews?
    wat camera r u using ? dc , slr or dslr ?

are u the main photographer ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

10 year ago I was using Nikon F3HP+MD4 and Nikon FA camera bodies, three lenses ie 28mm/f2.8 ; 50mm/f1.4 and 105mm/f2.8.

5 years ago .. using F100, 20-35mm/f2.8 and 28-70mm/f2.8 most of the time .. 105mm/f2.8 brought along but seldom used.

Now ... I would uses my F100 for film or D2H for digital plus 2 lenses ie 17-35mm/f2.8 and 28-70mm/f2.8 would be more than enough to shoot most of the shots. Wanna bring 70-200 is your additional choice ..

Btw, most of my events as well as wedding was taken using 17-35mmf/2.8 .. it is a work horse ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Default more details

Im using a 300d, definitely not the main photographer. Looks my own view of the 17-40 and the 24-70 is endorsed by many.

More or less got the idea liao.. Cos too close up via 70-200 is not my cup of tea. And the premises will allow me to move anyway..

Hey anymore tips and ideas?

Im using a 300d, definitely not the main photographer. Looks my own view of the 17-40 and the 24-70 is endorsed by many.

More or less got the idea liao.. Cos too close up via 70-200 is not my cup of tea. And the premises will allow me to move anyway..

Hey anymore tips and ideas?
    1) dun get into the main photographer's way

2) find more creative moments for the couple that the main may not cover, like parents reaction to the ceremonies, friends, young kids, the mood, the house etc...

if you not the main guy, then use your primes......

ask the couple the purpose of you taking the wedding shots , group , backup or candid ?

for group , backup = 17-40L , 24-70L
    for candid = 24-70L , 70-200L
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Depends whether you're the main or backup photog.

For main: 17-40 f/4 LU, 16-35 f/2.8 LU, etc Word of caution here: watch out for distortion when using these lenses.

For backup: 70-200 f/4 LU, 70-200 f/2.8 LU, 70-200 f/2.8 LU IS
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Deregistered

Yep.. a longer range would be good, alternatively, go for ultra wide range and capture a wider view, don't be too scared to capture even the main photographer within the frame.

I used tamron 24-135 during last wedding.
    Just wide enough (in the old 3 rooms flat) for tea ceremony to dinner table shooting.

too troublesome to change lens
    although got 50mm in the bag.

I only uses prime lens when got time to take candid shot

just my 2 cents

Default now....

Now theres recommendations of primes.. .Interesting..

Well.. Primes are a bit unforgiving aren't they?

I wonder, do ppl take wide shots or those closer shots during weddings? Cos there seem to be much favour for the 70-200. Although im more of a wide guy... Yup, im not the main, but i want to capture the going ons of the wedding, the entrance to exit, the touching moments, not just a single aspect.

you could check out lens reviews at www.fredmiranda.com and www.photographyreview.com

what lens to bring depends on what you want to capture. if you want to be close to the action and want to capture the proceedings of the wedding, a 17-40 would do it nicely. but don't get in the main photographer's way.

as the main, I usually bring just the 24-85 which offers pretty good range on my DSLR(with a wide-angle converter for group shots). as the backup/candid photographer where I don't want and don't need (note, it's "don't want", if you want group shots, bring along a wide angle) to take group shots, I sometimes even bring along just a single prime (35, 50, 100 or even 200) or telephoto zoom (70-200).

Now theres recommendations of primes.. .Interesting..

Well.. Primes are a bit unforgiving aren't they?

I wonder, do ppl take wide shots or those closer shots during weddings? Cos there seem to be much favour for the 70-200. Although im more of a wide guy... Yup, im not the main, but i want to capture the going ons of the wedding, the entrance to exit, the touching moments, not just a single aspect.
    use the lens that you shoot with often so you know the angle and distance without too much moving around.

Since not main. Shoot what you like and present your view to the couple.

Enjoy shooting your first wedding?

alternatively since u are not the main and may not need to cover the tea ceremony and the table shots etc....

50mm will be cool for u to cover a wide range of the other events goin on...

eg Mothers crying during xchange of wedding bands etc etc...