Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoot in P or M mode?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSG
    I am using a 60D. The problem I have is deciding which mode to shoot with.

When using the P mode, sometimes I get good pic and sometimes not. Same thing for the M mode.

Which mode do most people normally use for their shooting? There was a video I watched that says P mode is usually used even by the professionals for general shooting.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    It depends on you.

no one cares what mode was used as long as the results are good.

Default Re: Shoot in P or M mode?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSG View Post
    When using the P mode, sometimes I get good pic and sometimes not. Same thing for the M mode.
    Simple question back: Why? If you don't tell us what's wrong with this pictures we can't help much. But since you are messing around with exposure modes I guess your pictures are everywhere from 'too dark' to 'too bright'.
    I suggest you read up the Newbies Guide about the very basics: aperture, shutter, ISO. Read your manual to see what these modes P, Av, Tv and M are doing and understand the purpose of having such modes. Next thing, get the book that catchlights recommended and read.
    Remember: a camera is a tool that can do certain things very fast. But it cannot think and recognize a scene or object. Like a pocket calculator: it gets the result damn fast - but is does not know whether it's your tax declaration or Physics homework. So you need to understand what the camera is doing then then use the right function for the right moment.
    EOS

Apart from getting the right exposure, knowing how to pp your shots is equally important.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Since you do not understand exposure yet. Using P and M mode may be too tough on you.

I would suggest you start with A and S mode.

A mode for stationary subject
    S mode for moving subject ( fast shutter speed )

Then you will get most of your shots with correct exposure.

I normally use M mode when it is the last resort ( meaning the camera cannot get the exposure right and I need some fine tuning )

I have a friend who always shoots in P mode and have trouble tackling problems like handshake and DoF, coz he doesn't remembers what shutter speed and Aperture does. He knows what they do, but he just doesn't remembers them on-site when he needs to make that split-second decision. I've been using M since I got my DSLR, and have no such problems.

Might wanna take this into account

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    I have a friend who always shoots in P mode and have trouble tackling problems like handshake and DoF, coz he doesn't remembers what shutter speed and Aperture does. He knows what they do, but he just doesn't remembers them on-site when he needs to make that split-second decision. I've been using M since I got my DSLR, and have no such problems.

Might wanna take this into account
    That's why P mode is fondly known as idiot's mode or foolproof, not meant to be derogatory but it's human nature to become over reliant or taking for granted.If really at the spur of the moment,it can be useful.Using M mode can be akin to being masachoistic
    (deriving pleasure by inflicting pain upon oneself),why torture yourself.I think Av or Tv fulfils most photographic situations.Understanding the reciprocal relationship of exposure will make it almost like automatic association with various lighting
    senarios.It's just like riding a bicycle or swimming,you will not likely to forget.For a refresher here is some mum mum.

Photography basics – understanding exposure

Understanding-Exposure
    Last edited by one eye jack; 24th March 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: url mistake

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    That's why P mode is fondly known as idiot's mode or foolproof, not meant to be derogatory but it's human nature to become over reliant or taking for granted.If really at the spur of the moment,it can be useful.Using M mode can be akin to being masachoistic
    (deriving pleasure by inflicting pain upon oneself),why torture yourself.I think Av or Tv fulfils most photographic situations.Understanding the reciprocal relationship of exposure will make it almost like automatic association with various lighting
    senarios.
    Agreed. If I can get what I want in Aperture Priority mode faster than I can in Manual mode, why use Manual mode?

I'm an amateur so I shoot in aMature mode. P mode is for pros.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    AS LONG AS YOU GET THE SHOT. DOESNT MATTER WHAT MODE YOU USE.
    true true .... but the problem lies in not knowing HOW you got the exposure and replicating it consistently in similar situations

i keep it simple ..... stay in A mode, spot metering AEL and adjust via ev+/-
    Last edited by ed9119; 30th March 2012 at 01:07 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

If you know what you are doing, A, S & M are actually the same, just the order of control which gives you the desired result in the most efficient way. Well, P you are just giving up control over to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSG View Post
    Hi Guys, thank you very much for the valuable advice!

I tried using M mode so to learn better photography. It's not easy but I think such grilling is essential for me to become a better photographer. But I always have a problem with under/over exposure and I resort to cranking up/down the aperture/shutter/iso speed. So I ended up taking too long to take a good shot. The subject might not stay there long enough for me to get it right! To sum up, I have no problem with composition but I am struggling with getting the correct exposure.

I think it's probably better to use Av mode as some of you have suggested?
    Hi FalconSG,

Don't mean to sound harsh, but, don't waste your time with shooting manual until you understand exposure.
    If you have to ask, P is definitely more useful for you right now. You can leave the technicalities to the camera while you concentrate on framing your shot.

Using Av is not bad as you only need to worry about aperture. Just remember to change the aperture (and ISO) for your subject and environment.
    It offers you a higher degree of control over your image than using P.

Just sharing how I pick up control of photography..... for your consideration

I started off by switching between 'Aperture and ShutterSpeed' priority mode.....

The most important part is that after every shot.... you must see the "data/ history/ readings / histogram".
    Then you will know whether what are the other combination that your camera had decided for you.....

for example: Aperture Priority (stationary subjects)
    @ f2.2 = your Cam choose 'X speed' at 'X ISO' in this lighting condition
    @ f8 = your Cam choose 'X speed' at 'X ISO' in this lighting condition

for example: Shutter Speed Priority (Moving subjects)
    @ 1/1000 = your Cam choose 'X f/stop' at 'X ISO' in this lighting condition
    @ 1/250 = your Cam choose ''X f/stop' at 'X ISO' in this lighting condition
    @ 1/60 = your Cam choose ''X f/stop' at 'X ISO' in this lighting condition

Over time, you will then know your camera's range, capabities....etc and most importantly, you be understand/know and be confident of what aperture/ what speed/ what ISO/ how much compensation to dial-in before and in every situation be it day or evening or night/ indoor or outdoor/ its a moving subjects/ subject under the shades/ subjects front is facing towards the sun or sun is behind the subject...etc).

Then you proceed to P ... FM .... creative shots

p.s. just my sentiments - Composition of the photo (tells a story or what subject you shoot) is more beautiful than just sharp photos of everything.......
    Cheers bro and enjoy shooting......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12