Thread: Recommendations on camera bag for my stuff

Default Recommendations on camera bag for my stuff

Hi all,

New to camera bags and would like your advice regarding camera bag with quick access and with good amount of personal storage space.

- Uses:
    Mainly for overseas travel

- Camera Equipment:
    D5100 with mounted Sigma 17-50/2.8
    Nikkor 55-300
    External flash
    Spare batteries/filters/wired release
    Tripod

- Personal equipment:
    Documents/passport/stationery
    Jacket/Change
    Water/Food

So far the closest suitable I've seen is the Lowepro Primus AW.
    Any other similar bags not so hard on the budget?

Thanks!

Default Re: Recommendations on camera bag for my stuff

Hi there,

Personally I prefer a sling/messager style bag compared to a back-pack style bag. I somehow feel safer with my things located at my side or in-front of me where i can see and feel and its against any possible theft from behind. Especially overseas. (crowded places)

My own personal choice would be the Think Tank Retro 30 (check-in-hang-carry friendly).
    Its should be big and strong enough for your current cam set-up and still have pockets to spare for your food,tibits and a wind-breaker/jacket placed over the top.
    Your passport (important documents) can be stored in the inside flag of the bag for security reasons.
    And it doesn't look like your typical camera bag. Hence, attract less attention.
    Bonus!!, the bag also comes with a rain cover. Great for sudden pour..

p.s. try not to have your water with the equip. especially cold water... condensation inside/within the bag not really that good for the lens/cam.

cheers and have a great trip.....

second Think Tank Retro 30
    It is an illusion that photos are made with camera...they are made with eye, heart and head - HCB

thanks for the tips! looks good and very heavy duty. but i wouldn't want to carry another separate bag just for my tripod, or carry my tripod separately around. how to get round?

i just slot one of the tripod legs into the band at the side of the bag Try it out at TK.
    Last edited by motionstills; 23rd March 2012 at 07:37 PM.
    It is an illusion that photos are made with camera...they are made with eye, heart and head - HCB

There is a silent "option" with the velcro silenter flap inside the main cover. You can use it to snap your tripod to it if you dont wish to hold the tripod.... (improvised method). but do note... it will means that your main cover is no longer velcro-ed to the main body then....
    but it should be ok if you are cross-sling-ing it against your body. Hence, the content is still relatively safe....
    check out the product at TKpoto (funan) first before purchase (abt S$240). There is also seller selling it here at S$180....
    cheers....