Thread: Some night shots

Default Some night shots

Taken last night after the SEED. Few pple on the road so i could work much faster.

Canon D60 + Sigma 20/1.8 + tripod + cable release. Aperture priority at F11~16. Center weight metering +2/3~+1 exposure compensation. White balancing set to auto/tungsten. USM sharpened and resized, no other PS work. Comments welcome.

wah ... nice shots ... so far I have not try my D60 to take night shots yet ..

However some of shots have glare and some parts are overexposed ... anyway to avoid it ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by megaweb
    wah ... nice shots ... so far I have not try my D60 to take night shots yet ..

However some of shots have glare and some parts are overexposed ... anyway to avoid it ?
    thx As to the glare part, I did it purposely with pointing the lens up toward the road lamps. Is it a bad idea?

Seems will go back to shoot more night cityscape after next SEED, saving time in transportation. Hey, i need a companion...
    Last edited by tomshen; 25th July 2002 at 12:18 PM.

hi Tomshen,

nice work! nice meeting you yesterday too!

some comments.

1. Flare in the first shot. Were you using lens hood? Is your lens susceptible to flare? Maybe you can find a way to supress the flare situation.

2. noticed that some buildings were overexposed. E.g last shot of Fullerton and shot of boayquay. One way to overcome it is to meter off the subject you want to expose for, ie the Fullerton hotel. I suspect the mass of dark night sky and water may have fooled the metering in the camera.

3. The full shot of Fullerton should ideally include the full name. The word "Hotel" got cropped off in your shot.

4. notice that there is a greenish colour cast to the steets lamps and building shots (fullerton hotel) and also the shot of the al fresco dinning (next to fullerton???). Perhaps you could have used FLD filter. Or maybe your D60 includes white balancing for flourencent lights??

just some thoughts! cheers

thx thx beachbum, nice to meet u too

Good points u have, appreciated!

1. Flare in the first shot. Were you using lens hood? Is your lens susceptible to flare? Maybe you can find a way to supress the flare situation.
    Lens hood was on. Guess the problem was due to my pointing up the lens to the lamps.

2. noticed that some buildings were overexposed. E.g last shot of Fullerton and shot of boayquay.
    With the old D60 firmware I usually compensated 1 full stop to get correct exposure in dark. After upgrading the firmware seems this rule does not fit any more. Next time I will try to do a bracketing from +1/3~+1 stop and find out the correct one.

3. The full shot of Fullerton should ideally include the full name. The word "Hotel" got cropped off in your shot.
    True. When I composed for this shot, two buses were stopping there so I couldn't see the full hotel name. Once the buses left, I triggered the shutter and never checked, so...

4. notice that there is a greenish colour cast to the steets lamps and building shots (fullerton hotel) and also the shot of the al fresco dinning (next to fullerton???). Perhaps you could have used FLD filter. Or maybe your D60 includes white balancing for flourencent lights??
    For these two shots I used tungsten WB, silly me! Should be flourencent right?

Once again, thank u so much for your advice

hi,

seems strange about the part on metering and firmware.
    i am not a digital user, so i am not so sure how the firmware will affect the metering caliberation/accuracy. But if the metering is off, it will be better to send it to Canon to have it recaliberated. You should not have to do guesswork for your metering.

Originally posted by beachbum
    hi,

seems strange about the part on metering and firmware.
    i am not a digital user, so i am not so sure how the firmware will affect the metering caliberation/accuracy. But if the metering is off, it will be better to send it to Canon to have it recaliberated. You should not have to do guesswork for your metering.
    The new firmware update has improved the underexposure problem with D60 and now it's more accurate than before. Not a problem with my camera's meter.

very good shots... any ideas can a S40 take such a good nite shot?

by the way, did u use a filter to create the starlight from the lamp post???

Originally posted by Perry
    very good shots... any ideas can a S40 take such a good nite shot?

by the way, did u use a filter to create the starlight from the lamp post???
    thx Perry u need a tripod and cable/selftimer (available for S40?) to take night shots. Set to night shot mode (small aperture) and low sensitivity digital film (eg ISO 100). But generally speaking, comsumer class digital camera is more 'noisy' in long time exposure.

No filter was used (except for the protective UV filter). The star effect is due to the long exposure. Just try once u will be familiar with how to do it.

Regards,
    Tom

The star effect is due to the high aperture setting.

Heh... your exposure long enough to see all the traffic lights!

Wow, I love the last photo. Was it at clark Quay? Where exactly did u position your tripod? Near the Bridge? The colorful reflections are very nice.

Regards