Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Hi guys,

    I am thinking about taking the plunge in getting a new DSLR. Previously i was using the Canon G12, which was a great portable camera. However it is now full of dust now (due to the places i visit, like deserts), and I am thinking of upgrading to a new camera, perhaps a DSLR. Else I would just buy another G12 probably, since in good light and for postcard prints the difference is not that great (but sometimes i wish I had more dynamic range or the option to dump more bokeh in - else I guess maybe Ps can simulate bokeh, but that's a lot of work!!!)

    I was considering which camera to get, but would like to look at the package in its entirety (camera + lenses)

    Mainly I do travel photography - landscape shots and people-walking-on the street/expression shots.

    I have been recommended the setup:
    - Canon 600D body
    - Canon 24-105 F4L
    - Canon 50mm F1.8
    I was thinking of throwing in the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM Lens for landscape.

    To me that sounds like a lot of money. Not to mention i also have to buy (and this recommended to me) a Sirui T1204X tripod.

    How would you guys optimize the setup to cost (a lot?) less? Or would you recommend the Nikons/Pentax with cheaper lenses? One thing I like about the Pentax K5 and the D60 is that it is weather sealed, and I will be travelling for the next few years, so that feature would be great. Also I take quite a bit of HDRs, and Pentax's K5 (according to dpreview's comparison) allows me to bracket more than 3 pictures, though these results may not be that different. i think someone in the forum also mentioned a Sigma lens which is also good for landscape and costs less.

    Please help with some suggestions so that i can get some insight! Thanks!!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    if ya ok with 2nd hand stuff.

    5Dc + 1740 + 501.8 or 35

  3. #3

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Hi guys,

    I am thinking about taking the plunge in getting a new DSLR. Previously i was using the Canon G12, which was a great portable camera. However it is now full of dust now (due to the places i visit, like deserts), and I am thinking of upgrading to a new camera, perhaps a DSLR. Else I would just buy another G12 probably, since in good light and for postcard prints the difference is not that great (but sometimes i wish I had more dynamic range or the option to dump more bokeh in - else I guess maybe Ps can simulate bokeh, but that's a lot of work!!!)

    I was considering which camera to get, but would like to look at the package in its entirety (camera + lenses)

    Mainly I do travel photography - landscape shots and people-walking-on the street/expression shots.

    I have been recommended the setup:
    - Canon 600D body
    - Canon 24-105 F4L
    - Canon 50mm F1.8
    I was thinking of throwing in the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM Lens for landscape.

    To me that sounds like a lot of money. Not to mention i also have to buy (and this recommended to me) a Sirui T1204X tripod.

    How would you guys optimize the setup to cost (a lot?) less? Or would you recommend the Nikons/Pentax with cheaper lenses? One thing I like about the Pentax K5 and the D60 is that it is weather sealed, and I will be travelling for the next few years, so that feature would be great. Also I take quite a bit of HDRs, and Pentax's K5 (according to dpreview's comparison) allows me to bracket more than 3 pictures, though these results may not be that different. i think someone in the forum also mentioned a Sigma lens which is also good for landscape and costs less.

    Please help with some suggestions so that i can get some insight! Thanks!!!
    What you have been recommend is actually pretty decent setup for travel photography. The 24-105mm + 10-22mm should cover almost all the focal length you need. If you feel that you are paying too much for these lenses then you might have to reconsider. Factor in the tripod, dry cabinet, bag and maybe flash, it could be a larger amount than you initially planned.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    I would suggest you read the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ sticky. List down the features you'd like to have. For example, the Sony DSLR cameras have in-built panorama and HDR.

    Bang for buck, it's hard to beat Pentax and Sony for features right now, especially if you are on a budget.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    if ya ok with 2nd hand stuff.

    5Dc + 1740 + 501.8 or 35
    Sorry I am not too familiar so don't know what you mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    What you have been recommend is actually pretty decent setup for travel photography. The 24-105mm + 10-22mm should cover almost all the focal length you need. If you feel that you are paying too much for these lenses then you might have to reconsider. Factor in the tripod, dry cabinet, bag and maybe flash, it could be a larger amount than you initially planned.
    Thanks! My view:

    Tripod = yes.
    Dry cabinet = no, i will be away and travelling for 1 year and upwards. so the camera will be in constant use, dry cabinet will be useless.
    Bag = Yes, but maybe I will use the free one first and see how it works out
    Flash = No, am not into flash photography. In fact usually I turn it off. The only time i used it in the last 3 years was when shooting hyenas at night.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I would suggest you read the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ sticky. List down the features you'd like to have. For example, the Sony DSLR cameras have in-built panorama and HDR.

    Bang for buck, it's hard to beat Pentax and Sony for features right now, especially if you are on a budget.
    Hi Rashkae, I have read the guide before posting. In fact I listed the stuff above. I don't have any particular needs (that are not in DSLRs I listed), but plenty of good-to-haves, which is why I am hoping for suggestions to see what I have missed out. Are there any particularly important features that are in the Pentaxes and Sonys that I might be missing? I was seriously looking at the K5 (especially with someone in the classified section offering one for cheap), which means that for 200 bucks more I get weather sealing and terrific ISO, not to mention better bracketing functions. But I would need some lens recommendations that are of similar quality to the setup I have above, as I am still not very familiar with lenses of other brands.

    Please help this poor noob! i have already tried to do as much research as I can before posting. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Personally, (with my limited understanding), I feel that Pentax will give you greater value as compared to N or C. If given your budget for 600D, I will probably push abit more for Pentax K-5, but lens wise, will be dependent on your shooting preference so can't advise you on lens. But I'm sure that they have lens equivalent to the top end lens of other brands.

    btw, for your above setup (post 1), I noticed you placed 10-22 and 17-40 together. I hope you realize that 10-22 is a UWA on Crop body while 17-40 is only a UWA on FF body.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Are there any particularly important features that are in the Pentaxes and Sonys that I might be missing? I was seriously looking at the K5 (especially with someone in the classified section offering one for cheap), which means that for 200 bucks more I get weather sealing and terrific ISO, not to mention better bracketing functions. But I would need some lens recommendations that are of similar quality to the setup I have above, as I am still not very familiar with lenses of other brands.

    Please help this poor noob! i have already tried to do as much research as I can before posting. Thanks!
    K-5, Nikon D7000, both use the same Sony sensor as the A55, A57.

    Pentax pros:
    - Built in image stabilizer (no need to buy VR/IS lenses)
    - Very slim pancake lenses (though expensive)
    - Excellent lens quality (though usually at a price)
    - Excellent high ISO
    - Fast CDAF in live view (not as fast as PDAF but miles faster than Canon and Nikon)
    - Lots of nice features like customizable NR for each ISO settings
    - Weather sealing
    - Some other stuff the Pentax users can elaborate on

    Sony pros:
    - Uses SLT technology, so it's an EVF instead of OVF - some people are diehard OVF fans, but the Sony EVF is big (like looking at a full frame viewfinder), gives 100% perspective, and you really get a good simulation of what the final image will be like including whitebalance changes, exposure changes, special effects, etc. And in dim lighting the EVF is like nightvision, while an OVF can be hard to see through. So best to try it out.
    - Cons of SLT: You lose about 1/3 stop of light as it's a non-moving mirror, so the high ISO, while still very good, is not as good as the Pentax K-5 which uses the same sensor. But it's not really something you would notice without pixel peeping to 100%.
    - No mirror slap for fine focus
    - Built in image stabilizer
    - Fast FPS (up to 12 FPS) with PDAF
    - Fast PDAF autofocus in liveview and video
    - HD movie recording
    - Built in HDR, Sweep panorama, focus peaking, etc
    - High quality Sony, Minolta and autofocus Carl Zeiss lenses

    Look at sites like photozone.de for good lens reviews.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Sorry I am not too familiar so don't know what you mean.
    2nd Hand Canon 5D Mark 1 + EF 17 - 40 f/4 + EF 50mm F1.8 OR EF 35mm F2

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Personally, (with my limited understanding), I feel that Pentax will give you greater value as compared to N or C. If given your budget for 600D, I will probably push abit more for Pentax K-5, but lens wise, will be dependent on your shooting preference so can't advise you on lens. But I'm sure that they have lens equivalent to the top end lens of other brands.

    btw, for your above setup (post 1), I noticed you placed 10-22 and 17-40 together. I hope you realize that 10-22 is a UWA on Crop body while 17-40 is only a UWA on FF body.
    Yup but I am looking at the whole package so i don't overspend on a body, and then overspend on the lens again. It doesn't make sense ... what goes up somewhere ... must have somewhere else going down

    Yup I know about the crop factor's effects on UWA. I am just saying both of them probably will suit my needs for landscape, even though yes one is less "wide".

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    K-5, Nikon D7000, both use the same Sony sensor as the A55, A57.

    Pentax pros:
    - Built in image stabilizer (no need to buy VR/IS lenses)
    - Very slim pancake lenses (though expensive)
    - Excellent lens quality (though usually at a price)
    - Excellent high ISO
    - Fast CDAF in live view (not as fast as PDAF but miles faster than Canon and Nikon)
    - Lots of nice features like customizable NR for each ISO settings
    - Weather sealing
    - Some other stuff the Pentax users can elaborate on

    Sony pros:
    - Uses SLT technology, so it's an EVF instead of OVF - some people are diehard OVF fans, but the Sony EVF is big (like looking at a full frame viewfinder), gives 100% perspective, and you really get a good simulation of what the final image will be like including whitebalance changes, exposure changes, special effects, etc. And in dim lighting the EVF is like nightvision, while an OVF can be hard to see through. So best to try it out.
    - Cons of SLT: You lose about 1/3 stop of light as it's a non-moving mirror, so the high ISO, while still very good, is not as good as the Pentax K-5 which uses the same sensor. But it's not really something you would notice without pixel peeping to 100%.
    - No mirror slap for fine focus
    - Built in image stabilizer
    - Fast FPS (up to 12 FPS) with PDAF
    - Fast PDAF autofocus in liveview and video
    - HD movie recording
    - Built in HDR, Sweep panorama, focus peaking, etc
    - High quality Sony, Minolta and autofocus Carl Zeiss lenses

    Look at sites like photozone.de for good lens reviews.
    Well the thing about Pentax is that if I spend more for the K5, then have to spend more for the lenses (yes I like slim for travel, but budget is limited i guess) it won't work out for me. I like built in IS and weather sealing. Pardon me but what is NR on your 6th point? For ISO it is good to have but usually I assume I am shooting is decent light, and times without I will be shooting using tripod. Though a few times past year that would have been really useful.

    For Sony I really need to read up since I know nuts about their lenses. But I don't really like EVFs, and I do stitching on the computer (I've heard stitching on the camera always results in poor reconciliation). Right now if anyone can help me (boohoo) I am trying to manually stitch 2 photos I took in Zambia during the lunar rainbow ... it was a 30 second exposure, so the light wasn't quite the same ... neither was the angle so it is quite a tough job. I'm not even sure if I can do it. I guess I will post it and see if a pro stitcher can help me! Anyway back to topic - IS built in is good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    2nd Hand Canon 5D Mark 1 + EF 17 - 40 f/4 + EF 50mm F1.8 OR EF 35mm F2
    I am definitely not adverse to 2nd hand, and your suggestion sounds really good actually. now that the Mk III is out i might be able to snag a Mk 1 for cheap ... what's not to like about full frame!!! i think maybe i might skip the prime and go for a walk about with the 17-40 you mentioned. Definitely worth a think. Very helpful, eleveninth, thanks a lot!!!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    I am definitely not adverse to 2nd hand, and your suggestion sounds really good actually. now that the Mk III is out i might be able to snag a Mk 1 for cheap ... what's not to like about full frame!!! i think maybe i might skip the prime and go for a walk about with the 17-40 you mentioned. Definitely worth a think. Very helpful, eleveninth, thanks a lot!!!!
    I think the mark 1 is going for about 1.1 there abouts right now. the 17-40 is alright for landscape / walk about. But if you need a thinner dof or shoot at night I'd say go for the prime as well. The 50 1.8 prolly around 115 new or 90 in BNS? good to have it around. Personally I'd go for the 50 1.4 siggie or canon will do.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    I think the mark 1 is going for about 1.1 there abouts right now. the 17-40 is alright for landscape / walk about. But if you need a thinner dof or shoot at night I'd say go for the prime as well. The 50 1.8 prolly around 115 new or 90 in BNS? good to have it around. Personally I'd go for the 50 1.4 siggie or canon will do.
    Any other lens for zoom you would recommend? The 24-105mm F4L looked pretty good on the 600D i tested today. The only thing i see a bit problematic with the 5D Mark 1 set up is that i need better glass for magnification due to the sensor size, and I think I need much more than 40mm ...

    Edit: I just looked at the weight of the Mk1 ... wow it's even heavier than the Mk2? That's not very good hmmm. I don't want my photographic equipment to end up heavier than my backpack lol
    Edit 2: I am now less disposed towards the Mk1 after reading more. Apparently it has a dust issue which is very bad since I may be going to places like deserts, in addition to the weight.
    Last edited by thexcuriousxwanderer; 23rd March 2012 at 04:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer

    Any other lens for zoom you would recommend? The 24-105mm F4L looked pretty good on the 600D i tested today. The only thing i see a bit problematic with the 5D Mark 1 set up is that i need better glass for magnification due to the sensor size, and I think I need much more than 40mm ...

    Edit: I just looked at the weight of the Mk1 ... wow it's even heavier than the Mk2? That's not very good hmmm. I don't want my photographic equipment to end up heavier than my backpack lol
    Edit 2: I am now less disposed towards the Mk1 after reading more. Apparently it has a dust issue which is very bad since I may be going to places like deserts, in addition to the weight.
    I assume that you have more or less decided on getting canon.

    24 105 is a solid lens. but on the crop body, it isn't as wide as I would like it to be. Sounds very nice on a FF thou. If you are going with a crop body with no intent of going FF, I recommend 15 85.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  13. #13

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    The Pentax K5 is well suited for travel.
    Smaller than any other DSLR in its class with a full mag alloy body and weather sealing.
    The big plus point is that Pentax has a range of cheaper commercial zooms as well as high end zooms with weather sealing.
    The camera comes with on body shake reduction (SR) so all lenses mounted on it will benefit.
    Other brands, weather sealing is only on the high end (more costly models).
    I am using a K5, and I keep a $150 (in BnS) 18-55WR for those times that I need one.
    Usually at beaches and swimming pools where I don't need to bother about water 'accidents', splashes and sand/dust.
    Not too much money to keep a WR capable lens around.

    Lens prices wise, they are commensurate with their quality and performance.
    I'd suggest you get the body and a 2nd hand 18-55WR (~$150) or 18-135WR (~$600) as a start.
    If you want higher end ones with WR, then the DA16-50/2.8 WR and 50-135/2.8 WR. About $1k each 2nd hand in BnS.
    You can check out what the equivalent on other brands will cost, which is no less if not more.

    You can also check out the price guide section for more lens prices.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I assume that you have more or less decided on getting canon.

    24 105 is a solid lens. but on the crop body, it isn't as wide as I would like it to be. Sounds very nice on a FF thou. If you are going with a crop body with no intent of going FF, I recommend 15 85.
    Not really. I am very much open to other brands as long as the other setups are cheaper for my needs. First has to meet my needs (and for a price, my wants ), then we will look at the prices and see which ones are more reasonable. I understand what you are saying about the lens choices. However i think even if I go with a cropped body I will stick with a 24-105, reason being I can't remember how many times I have actually shot with my G12 at 4x magnification (G12 has crop factor of roughly 4.5, and then at 30.5mm) AND wish I had more. The 85mm would be equivalent in terms of magnification, but i think the 105 will be much better with regards to the photos I like to take (discreetly, lol). also looks like many people are selling the 24-105 on the cheap cos it's the kit lens for the 5D Mk3 haha. Though I may opt for the 15-85 if the prices get really steep on the whole setup ... again that is a thing to look at in its entirety. Thanks!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The Pentax K5 is well suited for travel.
    Smaller than any other DSLR in its class with a full mag alloy body and weather sealing.
    The big plus point is that Pentax has a range of cheaper commercial zooms as well as high end zooms with weather sealing.
    The camera comes with on body shake reduction (SR) so all lenses mounted on it will benefit.
    Other brands, weather sealing is only on the high end (more costly models).
    I am using a K5, and I keep a $150 (in BnS) 18-55WR for those times that I need one.
    Usually at beaches and swimming pools where I don't need to bother about water 'accidents', splashes and sand/dust.
    Not too much money to keep a WR capable lens around.

    Lens prices wise, they are commensurate with their quality and performance.
    I'd suggest you get the body and a 2nd hand 18-55WR (~$150) or 18-135WR (~$600) as a start.
    If you want higher end ones with WR, then the DA16-50/2.8 WR and 50-135/2.8 WR. About $1k each 2nd hand in BnS.
    You can check out what the equivalent on other brands will cost, which is no less if not more.

    You can also check out the price guide section for more lens prices.
    Hi pinholecam! I understand your point with the K5 and believe me that weather sealing is a huge draw for me now.

    The problem is if i want WR, then i will have to get WR lenses also. To get a whole WR setup i fear that will exceed my total budget for the whole setup (mental budget really). Like I mentioned, I probably want to spend enough to get a body, and 2 decent lenses of maybe canon L quality. The thing is if i spend extra on the K5 body, then more on WR lenses (actually if you could recommend me lenses that are of the same quality as the 24-105 F4L and say the 17-40 i will be more than happy to look them up ... there are too many lenses out there and I have no idea which ones are the ones on par with the L series). Eg will performance of the 18-135WR you mentioned sitting on a K5 better than the 24-105 sitting on the 600D? The 24-105 is more expensive by far though, so if your setup is better I am really seriously gonna consider that!

    Thank pinholecam ... always you have provided great info!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Any other lens for zoom you would recommend? The 24-105mm F4L looked pretty good on the 600D i tested today. The only thing i see a bit problematic with the 5D Mark 1 set up is that i need better glass for magnification due to the sensor size, and I think I need much more than 40mm ...

    Edit: I just looked at the weight of the Mk1 ... wow it's even heavier than the Mk2? That's not very good hmmm. I don't want my photographic equipment to end up heavier than my backpack lol
    Edit 2: I am now less disposed towards the Mk1 after reading more. Apparently it has a dust issue which is very bad since I may be going to places like deserts, in addition to the weight.
    the weight is alright for me. No dust issues so far here.

    practical is always better than theory.


    but u can give the K5 a try i think it is quite cheap now and I hear it's a beast as well. gluck with your hunt.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    the weight is alright for me. No dust issues so far here.

    practical is always better than theory.


    but u can give the K5 a try i think it is quite cheap now and I hear it's a beast as well. gluck with your hunt.
    Haha the problem with practical is you need toget the camera first

    Weight is quite a bit of issue to me. I have tried the 5DMk2 before and it's really too heavy for me.

    Pinholecam: Just read up about the lenses: to get comparable quality I am thinking of the DA* 16-50 and the 50-135 which I read is really good. Upside is that with this setup I have much better reach and the downside is that I don't get the closeup with one lens. Still looks like it might cost the same (though not exactly with the 24-205 in abundance due to the Mk3) and weight wise seems ok also. Sounds good ... definitely worth considering. anything i might have missed out here that i should know?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Haha the problem with practical is you need toget the camera first

    Weight is quite a bit of issue to me. I have tried the 5DMk2 before and it's really too heavy for me.

    Pinholecam: Just read up about the lenses: to get comparable quality I am thinking of the DA* 16-50 and the 50-135 which I read is really good. Upside is that with this setup I have much better reach and the downside is that I don't get the closeup with one lens. Still looks like it might cost the same (though not exactly with the 24-205 in abundance due to the Mk3) and weight wise seems ok also. Sounds good ... definitely worth considering. anything i might have missed out here that i should know?
    hmm ever considered mirrorless if weight is the issue?

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    Not really. I am very much open to other brands as long as the other setups are cheaper for my needs. First has to meet my needs (and for a price, my wants ), then we will look at the prices and see which ones are more reasonable. I understand what you are saying about the lens choices. However i think even if I go with a cropped body I will stick with a 24-105, reason being I can't remember how many times I have actually shot with my G12 at 4x magnification (G12 has crop factor of roughly 4.5, and then at 30.5mm) AND wish I had more. The 85mm would be equivalent in terms of magnification, but i think the 105 will be much better with regards to the photos I like to take (discreetly, lol). also looks like many people are selling the 24-105 on the cheap cos it's the kit lens for the 5D Mk3 haha. Though I may opt for the 15-85 if the prices get really steep on the whole setup ... again that is a thing to look at in its entirety. Thanks!!!



    Hi pinholecam! I understand your point with the K5 and believe me that weather sealing is a huge draw for me now.

    The problem is if i want WR, then i will have to get WR lenses also. To get a whole WR setup i fear that will exceed my total budget for the whole setup (mental budget really). Like I mentioned, I probably want to spend enough to get a body, and 2 decent lenses of maybe canon L quality. The thing is if i spend extra on the K5 body, then more on WR lenses (actually if you could recommend me lenses that are of the same quality as the 24-105 F4L and say the 17-40 i will be more than happy to look them up ... there are too many lenses out there and I have no idea which ones are the ones on par with the L series). Eg will performance of the 18-135WR you mentioned sitting on a K5 better than the 24-105 sitting on the 600D? The 24-105 is more expensive by far though, so if your setup is better I am really seriously gonna consider that!

    Thank pinholecam ... always you have provided great info!

    If this is your first dslr, you may not want to jump straight into L lens. I recommend a 18-200 over all those. But this 18-200 does not have the weather sealing stuffs..

    Also note that, if your body does not have weather sealing, it's also pointless that your lens have weather sealing when sand,water can "attack" from the body. 600D (to what I know) does not have this feature advertised, only the 5DIII and 1D series is officially listed as have weather sealing capabilities (7D have limited weather sealing). Despite saying this, it don't mean that entry bodies cannot go to those places with extreme conditions, it just mean that it have lesser tolerance to the environment as compared to the more pro series.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Around the world
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    hmm ever considered mirrorless if weight is the issue?
    Yes I have looked at mirrorless. At the Nex 7 and the K01. Weight wise they are great. I'm just not sure if the lenses are on par. Also I don't like the EVF, but if the price is right I can be persuaded lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If this is your first dslr, you may not want to jump straight into L lens. I recommend a 18-200 over all those. But this 18-200 does not have the weather sealing stuffs..

    Also note that, if your body does not have weather sealing, it's also pointless that your lens have weather sealing when sand,water can "attack" from the body. 600D (to what I know) does not have this feature advertised, only the 5DIII and 1D series is officially listed as have weather sealing capabilities (7D have limited weather sealing). Despite saying this, it don't mean that entry bodies cannot go to those places with extreme conditions, it just mean that it have lesser tolerance to the environment as compared to the more pro series.
    Yup I know. If you want WR you have to get the whole kit. Also thre is no guarantee ever from WR and have read reports of dust and whatnot still getting in. 600D does not, but the 60D does. My question is why not jump straight into the L stuff? If i buy a lens it will last me for a long time. The only reason why I may pay more for a Canon setup is cos maybe when I upgrade to FF next time I can retain my lenses. But otherwise I have no attachment to any brand really. (But the CDHK is superb on my G12 i love those 3+min and upward exposures can't tell you how many times those were so useful!!! whoohoo)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Please Help! Choosing a new camera setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by thexcuriousxwanderer View Post
    .....................................
    .................
    ..........


    Hi pinholecam! I understand your point with the K5 and believe me that weather sealing is a huge draw for me now.

    The problem is if i want WR, then i will have to get WR lenses also. To get a whole WR setup i fear that will exceed my total budget for the whole setup (mental budget really). Like I mentioned, I probably want to spend enough to get a body, and 2 decent lenses of maybe canon L quality. The thing is if i spend extra on the K5 body, then more on WR lenses (actually if you could recommend me lenses that are of the same quality as the 24-105 F4L and say the 17-40 i will be more than happy to look them up ... there are too many lenses out there and I have no idea which ones are the ones on par with the L series). Eg will performance of the 18-135WR you mentioned sitting on a K5 better than the 24-105 sitting on the 600D? The 24-105 is more expensive by far though, so if your setup is better I am really seriously gonna consider that!

    Thank pinholecam ... always you have provided great info!
    Glad the info from me has been useful.


    Its hard to keep costs down if you need 24-105 'L' performance (~$1700 new) and WR.
    The DA18-55WR; DA50-200WR and 18-135WR are pretty good in performance and have WR at very low prices. (as quoted above)
    They can even be as sharp if not sharper in the center than the 24-105L, but the latter does have more even sharpness over the whole frame and is F4.



    The high end of the Pentax zoom range to meet your requirements would be a DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135 (~$1K each 2nd hand; ~$1350 new).
    Both are weather sealed lenses and optically very good, but these are 2 lenses, not one, and covering UWA 16mm to short tele 135mm at f2.8.
    Perhaps these 2 lenses will suffice all you needs from vast landscapes and grand buildings to longer reach use and portraits. Low light usage too given their f2.8 aperture.
    So its an alternative to 10-22; 24-105; 50/1.8 (the 10-22 is not cheap either).
    Win some, lose some, no perfect solution


    My suggestion if I were you:
    a. K5; bite the bullet and get the 16-50 perhaps plan for a 50-135 later or just get a cheap 50-200WR
    b. K5; just the 18-135WR and get other lenses as you learn more of its strengths and weakness
    c. K5; 18-55WR and decide on other lenses later.

    DA18-135 isn't too bad a lens.
    I did a review of it a while ago.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/penta...%5D-dc-wr.html


    Look at the other suggestions too. That suggestion of an old 5D+17-40 is viable as well.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 23rd March 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •