Thread: Spheres

Default Spheres

--
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

--

This really has potential Wolfgang. If you get a chance reshoot the top image and leave off the right hand 1/3rd. The shot then will be first class.

The second shot doesn't have as much going for it as the first, it's marred by the over exposed area plus the illuminated Maybank sign.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

could you explain why the first shot is good ? is it the composition ? technical ability ? visuals ? would like to learn more about it.

Originally posted by Ian
    This really has potential Wolfgang. If you get a chance reshoot the top image and leave off the right hand 1/3rd. The shot then will be first class.

The second shot doesn't have as much going for it as the first, it's marred by the over exposed area plus the illuminated Maybank sign.
    Hi Ian, thank you for your kind words.

I'll try to head there for a re-shoot one of these days as i go there quite often ( My friend's wine bar is there you see. Now who says alcohol and photography don't go well together? )

This fountain is fast becoming a favourite subject of mine.

BTW, would cropping it help? As in cropping away the right side?

Cheers.
    --

Here.... this is the re-cropped shot. Looks better? *muses*

But nonetheless, i'll go back for a re-shoot soon....
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 25th July 2002 at 11:08 AM.
    --

Originally posted by shawntim
    could you explain why the first shot is good ? is it the composition ? technical ability ? visuals ? would like to learn more about it.
    If you look at the first shot you'll see that the Left Hand Side has not only an interesting combination of colours and textures but it's also on a technical level quite well done. To the Right there are signs of over exposure (the White halo effect) that detract from the image. If you draw a line just left of the Halo'd area and blank it off you'll see what I mean, no only can a good deal of potential be seen but you can also see the potential for interesting interplays between the various objects in view.

For the reasons above the shot has 'potential'.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Originally posted by Ian
    If you look at the first shot you'll see that the Left Hand Side has not only an interesting combination of colours and textures but it's also on a technical level quite well done. To the Right there are signs of over exposure (the White halo effect) that detract from the image. If you draw a line just left of the Halo'd area and blank it off you'll see what I mean, no only can a good deal of potential be seen but you can also see the potential for interesting interplays between the various objects in view.

For the reasons above the shot has 'potential'.
    What i gathered from your posts is:

>interesting combination of colours
    >technical level quite well done
    >good deal of potential
    >interesting interplays

The image below has the overexposed portion removed. However, using your points, I fail to learn anything useful out of it. Interesting ? maybe, but it's just another shapes and effects photo. Probably the scene was interesting, however, there is nothing absolutely that excites or stirs me in this picture. None of the balls/globes/lanterns stand out, hence there is no weight in this picture. There are too many elements in this picture, and all of them seem to be in focus. What is so captivating about the fountain ? From the photo, it does not enhance the texture, colour, shape, nor the special congregation of the globes. And it's in the background to the left, taking up the largest amount of area, yet it is behind and overpowered by the first largest globe.

The fountain does make the scene lovely, but in this picture, it's like those groups shots where suddenly an uninvited person jumps into the frame as you were about the press the press the button. Distracting, interrupted, needless.

With reference to your post, what kind of "potiential" you are referring to ? a technical fascinating shot ? award-winning abstract photo ? could you enlighten me ?

[B]
    I fail to learn anything useful out of it. Interesting ? maybe, but it's just another shapes and effects photo. Probably the scene was interesting, however, there is nothing absolutely that excites or stirs me in this picture.

The fountain does make the scene lovely, but in this picture, it's like those groups shots where suddenly an uninvited person jumps into the frame as you were about the press the press the button. Distracting, interrupted, needless.

With reference to your post, what kind of "potiential" you are referring to ? a technical fascinating shot ? award-winning abstract photo ? could you enlighten me ?
    Since you can't see the potential in the shot, no amount of words from me will benefit you. You have your opinion on the shot and I have mine and I for one am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you what can be done with the elements in the shot.

Enjoy
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Originally posted by Ian

Since you can't see the potential in the shot, no amount of words from me will benefit you. You have your opinion on the shot and I have mine and I for one am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you what can be done with the elements in the shot.

Enjoy
    Sadly,

if a newbie is so-called entitled to his opinion, yet all we do is post photos as say Yeah ! Cool ! Good shot ! and we cannot share constructive criticism, and we do not get enough feedback on the shot, and cannot be guided on where we go wrong ? then how on earth is this forum going to grow in knowledge ? Do not underestimate the users in your forum, ok ? What's with the bigotry ?

You had your opinion on your shot, and as much as I was open to them, they did not tell me much based on phrases like

>interesting combination of colours :: fine, subjective
    >technical level quite well done. :: What technical issues ?
    >good deal of potential :: what potiential ?
    >interesting interplays. :: how is it interplay ?

... I for one am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you what can be done with the elements in the shot.
    So explaining good things to the newbies is a waste of time ? well, thanks a lot.

Sadly,

if a newbie is so-called entitled to his opinion, yet all we do is post photos as say Yeah ! Cool ! Good shot ! and we cannot share constructive criticism, and we do not get enough feedback on the shot, and cannot be guided on where we go wrong ? then how on earth is this forum going to grow in knowledge ? Do not underestimate the users in your forum, ok ? What's with the bigotry ?

So explaining good things to the newbies is a waste of time ? well, thanks a lot.
    Gee ain't it good to popular yet again and on the end of yet another serve

Now before you have an complete meltdown read the following and then go read all of the posts.

Did I pat Wolfgang on the back and say "Ya Cool"
    No I did not, I pointed out there was room for improvement and gave him a couple of starting points to work from.

Did I say you weren't entitled to your own opinion? NO I did not.

Have you given any constructive ideas to Wolfgang about how he might improve his shot? NO

Now that's over lets look at a couple of points realistically.

1) I write critiques (am one of the few here who actually gives a critique in most cases) in a manner that is most appropriate for the owner of the work. I also apply a sliding scale of standards to works that try to factor in such things as equipment being used (when known) and experience levels of the photographer (when known) as there is no point in giving a highly detailed point by point critique to someone who is fairly new behind the lens as in most cases all it will do is depress the recepient and lower their interest in photography.

2) People will ONLY improve the quality of their photography if they are given encouragement and guidance when starting out. I agree with you that blanket pats on the back are a waste of time, and I for one seldom give such banal platitudes. However there is no point in shredding someone's work in most cases, unless the person is at a level of competence where picking up minor imperfections becomes important. In other words, It is far better to get the broad techniques right first before tightening up on the fine details.

3) I save my venom and scathing reviews for people who post rubbish when they are known to be capable of better work. I can honestly say in the past 3 years I've only seen half a dozen shots without a single redeeming feature.

4) In your reply to my first explination it became very obvious to me that you were looking for a fight and frankly in light of recent events I am not in the mood to waste my time spending hours replying to what I percieved as a blatent troll to start a flame war.

5) If you are such a newbie as you claim to be then start reading carefully what I said, in particular regarding interplays between the various objects in view. That doesn't mean that they all have to be there in a single shot, what it does mean is that Wolfgang (and yourself) might want to spend a bit of time contemplating what can be done as indeed that scene has considerable potential and with careful thought and composition there are at least 5 stunning (in all respects) shots that could be made from that fountain.

Now just in case you don't know what an interplay is

Interplays are any interaction between differing textures, colours, light and dark regions, shadows and so forth.

In the case of the fountain it's not difficult to spot quite a number of possible interplays with texture and colour/tonality that can be exploited to produce interesting abstracts.

Have a nice day and I for one look forward to seeing some examples of your work gracing the forum that we all might enjoy
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Originally posted by Ian
    Did I pat Wolfgang on the back and say "Ya Cool"
    No I did not, I pointed out there was room for improvement and gave him a couple of starting points to work from.

Did I say you weren't entitled to your own opinion? NO I did not.
    oh, you misunderstood me. I never meant I'm not entitled to my opinion. This is after all a public forum, and it is how to choose to express ourselves, idealy in a mature and wise manner.

You did give him good pointers. I did not. I was actually referring to your critique of his work, which "potientially" showed that you knew enough to do a good critique, but unfortunately not explicit enough for me to pick up the good tabs. Perhaps you last forgotten when you were a fresh-blooded newbie ? They probably have a drive to shoot better pictures, and more often than not, they think they're right, but actually they could be wrong. This is where i think the experienced ones make all the difference in their views, important. IMHO.

I thank you for your detailed post. It is comforting.

1) I write critiques (am one of the few here who actually gives a critique in most cases) .... there is no point in giving a highly detailed ... critique to someone ... new behind the lens as ... it will do is depress the recepient and lower their interest in photography.
    I agree that you're one of those few who make the effort to give critique. Depressing the receipient, however... this one i can't argue with you, although if you were reviewing my work, i would rather the reviews be as harsh as possible, provided I understand.

2) People will ONLY improve the quality of their photography if they are given encouragement and guidance ... no point in shredding someone's work in most cases, unless the person is at a level of competence where picking up minor imperfections becomes important. In other words, It is far better to get the broad techniques right first before tightening up on the fine details.
    this forum obviously will not grow in expertise overnight, as creative practise probably take years to master. I agree with u.

4) In your reply to my first explination it became very obvious to me that you were looking for a fight and frankly in light of recent events I am not in the mood to waste my time spending hours replying to what I percieved as a blatent troll to start a flame war.
    in light of recent events ? was there more trolls ? did I unknowingly post something like this in another thread ? I was looking for a "idea-fight", or exchange of ideas, if it sounds more gentlemanly. Bu da bu xiang shi..

5) If you are such a newbie ... start reading... interplays between the various objects in view. That doesn't mean that they all have to be there in a single shot, what it does mean ... spend a bit of time contemplating what can be done as indeed that scene has considerable potential and with careful thought and composition there are at least 5 stunning (in all respects) shots that could be made from that fountain.
    5 stunning shots? Ok, I'd like to attempt to at least get one of them. Thanks for your reply again. =)

Wolfgang: where's was the shot taken ? i'd like to try my hand at this.

5 stunning shots? Ok, I'd like to attempt to at least get one of them. Thanks for your reply again. =)

Wolfgang: where's was the shot taken ? i'd like to try my hand at this.
    The Sphere shots were taken @ Robinson Rd, at the fountain infront of Capitol Towers. Anyway, i do drop by there quite often, so let me know if you do.

if you enjoy wine, better still, join me for a few glasses.

Cheers!
    --

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by Wolfgang

The Sphere shots were taken @ Robinson Rd, at the fountain infront of Capitol Towers. Anyway, i do drop by there quite often, so let me know if you do.
    I think it's near Tanjong Pagar MRT, right? I recall seeing this fountain when I was there one evening, but didn't have my camera to try a shot then.

It's one of the place which I always wanted to shoot but never have the chance to (or more like: too lazy to make the effort to go there and shoot)

Originally posted by ziploc
    It's one of the place which I always wanted to shoot but never have the chance to (or more like: too lazy to make the effort to go there and shoot)
    Yeah a very nice place huh? I always wanted to go back and shoot it when I can but always no time.

I worked in the building sometime back...hah I would say abt 80% of the air-conditioning were done by me then. Very High Tech building.