Thread: Ho hi Minh City (Saigon) Trip Itinerary (or any other) Advise

Default Ho hi Minh City (Saigon) Trip Itinerary (or any other) Advise

Hi guys, am travelling to HCMC (first time) in coming April with a group of friends (7 people).

Its a 4D3N free and easy and i have come out with following itinerary:

Day 2
    Decided to book 1 day tour to Mekong Delta

Day 3 (City Tour)
    Decided to do self-walking around City to following places in sequence from first to last stop:
    a) Central Post Office
    b) Notre Dame Cathedral
    c) War Remnants Musuem
    d) Reunification Palace
    e) People's Committee Building

Massage near Hotel area (recommended ?)

For Day 3, would appreciate if anyone can advise whether above sequence is ok and can be completed within a day (from 9am - 6pm) ?
    I was also thinking of giving the War Remnants Musuem a miss as it is one of the further places in the map.

Advises and places to recommend to visit is greatly appreciated !

After reading so many bad experiences from a few other post in the forum makes me feel real uneasy as i will be bringing a DSLR for the trip too.
    Though its an old one (D5000), i consider it my precious as its my first DSLR.
    Have to be more 'kiasu' and 'kiasi' (Singapore spirit !) and look around when walking.

Thank you in advance !

Default Re: Ho hi Minh City (Saigon) Trip Itinerary (or any other) Advise

Yes those places for the city tour is pretty close to one another, you can finish all in one day.

I have been to all those places, they are just museums... unless you like to dig into their histories I recommend you go for Ao Dai temple + Cu Chi tunnel tour for Day 3
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Yes those places for the city tour is pretty close to one another, you can finish all in one day.

I have been to all those places, they are just museums... unless you like to dig into their histories I recommend you go for Ao Dai temple + Cu Chi tunnel tour for Day 3
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Some of my friends are claustrophobic thus we thought of giving Cu Chi Tunnel a miss.
    As for the temple, is it near Cu Chi Tunnel ?

Cheers.

I think you can find all your answers here. Good luck on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    I think you can find all your answers here. Good luck on your trip.
    Thanks alot !
    Thats really some detailed and interesting places !

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by pessimizt View Post
    Hi guys, am travelling to HCMC (first time) in coming April with a group of friends (7 people).

Its a 4D3N free and easy and i have come out with following itinerary:

Day 2
    Decided to book 1 day tour to Mekong Delta

Day 3 (City Tour)
    Decided to do self-walking around City to following places in sequence from first to last stop:
    a) Central Post Office
    b) Notre Dame Cathedral
    c) War Remnants Musuem
    d) Reunification Palace
    e) People's Committee Building

Massage near Hotel area (recommended ?)

For Day 3, would appreciate if anyone can advise whether above sequence is ok and can be completed within a day (from 9am - 6pm) ?
    I was also thinking of giving the War Remnants Musuem a miss as it is one of the further places in the map.

Advises and places to recommend to visit is greatly appreciated !

After reading so many bad experiences from a few other post in the forum makes me feel real uneasy as i will be bringing a DSLR for the trip too.
    Though its an old one (D5000), i consider it my precious as its my first DSLR.
    Have to be more 'kiasu' and 'kiasi' (Singapore spirit !) and look around when walking.

Thank you in advance !
    The War Remnants Musuem is close to the Unification Palace and you could definitely do them both.

If you like photography, I would suggest you to drive to Can Tho (from Saigon), stay overnight here and the next morning (Very early) you could take photo of the floating markets here. They're lovely and depict great local life.

In Saigon, you could visit Cho Binh Tay, take a local bus here and you'll get there! Lots of photo opportunities!

ENjoy your trip.

Ps: The Cao Dai temple in Tay Ninh is about 50' drive from the Cu Chi tunnel system!

Quote Originally Posted by nightflower View Post
    The War Remnants Musuem is close to the Unification Palace and you could definitely do them both.

If you like photography, I would suggest you to drive to Can Tho (from Saigon), stay overnight here and the next morning (Very early) you could take photo of the floating markets here. They're lovely and depict great local life.

In Saigon, you could visit Cho Binh Tay, take a local bus here and you'll get there! Lots of photo opportunities!

ENjoy your trip.

Ps: The Cao Dai temple in Tay Ninh is about 50' drive from the Cu Chi tunnel system!

Hello nightflower,

Thanks for the detailed information !

The hotel actually suggested to stay in Mekong for 2D1N because we can visit the nearby floating market on the early morning of 2nd day.
    But because we are only doing 4D3N, first and last day is only left half a day.
    Since we only have 2 full days to explore, we decided to only go for a day trip to Mekong and then explore Ho Chi Minh City by walk on the 3rd day.
    Binh Tay is their Chinatown ? Is it in district 5 ?

We are staying in Blue River (near Ben Thanh Market)
    How long is the bus ride and is it safe ?
    If taking cab, you have any idea how much will it roughly be ?

Thanks again !
    Last edited by pessimizt; 29th March 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by pessimizt View Post
    Hello nightflower,

Thanks for the detailed information !

The hotel actually suggested to stay in Mekong for 2D1N because we can visit the nearby floating market on the early morning of 2nd day.
    But because we are only doing 4D3N, first and last day is only left half a day.
    Since we only have 2 full days to explore, we decided to only go for a day trip to Mekong and then explore Ho Chi Minh City by walk on the 3rd day.
    Binh Tay is their Chinatown ? Is it in district 5 ?

We are staying in Blue River (near Ben Thanh Market)
    How long is the bus ride and is it safe ?
    If taking cab, you have any idea how much will it roughly be ?

Thanks again !
    Binh Tay is the name of the central market in District 6 (nearby district 5), the surroundings of Binh Tay market is called "China town". Kindly remember this is more of a slang than a really China town (still, majority of people living here came from China of course).

Bus ride from Ben Thanh market would take you around 15 - 20 minutes to arrive at Binh Tay market.

Cab should take you within 5$ one way.

Enjoy your travel in Vietnam!

Quote Originally Posted by nightflower View Post
    Binh Tay is the name of the central market in District 6 (nearby district 5), the surroundings of Binh Tay market is called "China town". Kindly remember this is more of a slang than a really China town (still, majority of people living here came from China of course).

Bus ride from Ben Thanh market would take you around 15 - 20 minutes to arrive at Binh Tay market.

Cab should take you within 5$ one way.

Enjoy your travel in Vietnam!

Thanks alot for the details nightflower !

You should visit Tay Ninh (100km from HCM). In Tay Ninh you should visit Ba Den mountain, and Toa Thanh temple. And Cu Chi tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSeason View Post
    You should visit Tay Ninh (100km from HCM). In Tay Ninh you should visit Ba Den mountain, and Toa Thanh temple. And Cu Chi tunnel.
    Tay Ninh and Ba Den Mountain looks like a really nice and scenic place to visit.
    I will discuss it with my other friends to see if we have ample time to do the visit or check with the local tour agents for advise.

Thank you for the recommendations !

Cheers.

Just a word of advice for all future travellers to HCMC - be wary of pickpockets especially at the road junctions near the Ben Thanh market area. I had a nasty experience and lost my wallet in the process. They usually work in pairs and disappear on their motorbikes before you even realise you've been had.

Enjoy your holidays, but be a smart traveller. I suppose this applies to all countries you're travelling to.