Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 5Dmk2 + 16-35mmL

28 50.91%
  • Fuji x100 (35mm Fixed lens)

30 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 5Dmk2 or Fuji x100 for Tokyo trip?

Default Re: Canon 5Dmk2 or Fuji x100 for Tokyo trip?

I'd take the 5D MkII due to the weather now. Rain/snow or shine can shoot.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

I think if possible bring both, but you'll get tired, so go invest in a good luggage camera bag for you to lug around without breaking your shoulder or back. I went to Bali recently and hongkong about few months ago, and I carry 1 D7000 and 1 D70. so no issue.

Japan is quite a safe country,ok to bring 5D instead and enjoy all the nice photos taken. if you going places like thailand, i rather u just bring fuji x100. Safely of your camera should also put as concern right. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander4965
    Japan is quite a safe country,ok to bring 5D instead and enjoy all the nice photos taken.
    Japan is super safe lah. Petty crime is hardly heard of.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Unless you are able and willing to live with the eccentricities and limitations of the X100, you will regret bringing it alone for your Japan trip. You should bring both along. Leave one in the hotel and shoot with the other if necessary. Since you are only bringing one lens for the 5D, there is no issue about changing lenses slowing you down. Contrary, if you only brought the X100 and then discover when you are there that with the X100, this you can't shoot, that you can't shoot, you would lose more photo opportunities.

Bring the one that you are most familiar with, that you can change any setting quickly without looking. No point bringing a lighter camera if it takes your time to change settings

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    Unless you are able and willing to live with the eccentricities and limitations of the X100, you will regret bringing it alone for your Japan trip. You should bring both along. Leave one in the hotel and shoot with the other if necessary. Since you are only bringing one lens for the 5D, there is no issue about changing lenses slowing you down. Contrary, if you only brought the X100 and then discover when you are there that with the X100, this you can't shoot, that you can't shoot, you would lose more photo opportunities.
    Bring your DSLR and a good compact, say Canon S100. Leave the X100 behind.

Bring both, if one can't work, you can use the other to shoot. X-100 is portable.

I'd bring both too. Perhaps use the X100 as the 'prime' lens. With firmware 1.2, the AF has improved alot for low contrast scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Agreed. By now after handling both the 5D2 and the X100 you should have a rough idea already of what one can do over the other.
    You can always leave the 5D2 back in hotel if u end up finding it cumbersome.

Ryan

I would say FujiFilm X100 since this is just a holiday. I am not sure why you would buy a camera and not able to bring it anywhere further than Singapore. Is the X100 so bad that you are so sure that you will regret if you bring it along with you to Japan? Every system has its limitations. Unless you need a zoom, else any camera with standard lens (50mm and below) should be good enough for traveling. If you need a zoom, why only 16-35mm? What about anything beyond 35mm?

If you are good at taking pictures, I am sure you can work around the limitations of the X100. If you cannot take good pictures, any camera will still be the same.
    Last edited by oracle0711; 1st April 2012 at 08:55 AM.

I did stumbled upon the same question back when the X100 just came out and had to decide on which cameras to bring with me during my holidays. I took the plunge and brought only my X100, leaving my 1D4 and 5D2 behind. I did not regret it. If your purpose of holidays is mainly to enjoy then I would suggest just bringing the X100 to have something to shoot with. It takes good pictures for its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    What are you trying to capture? Streets? landscapes? casual photos? I literally brought my whole gear to tokyo because i was shooting a gig in japan. But that was only 1 day, i had 7 days more to spend there and lugging my D3 with a 14-24mm almost everyday in the streets with a RS-7 strap, a backpack containing a 70-200mm and 50mm. i can almost walk 4-5 hours without needing to stop. P.S I have a small build

I guess it all depends on your determination. If you're lazy and hate carrying all the weight around then the x100 will be best for you. my vote still goes to the 5D, simply because i have more control on the settings and auto focus ain't a b!tch. my 2 cents

Cheers
    my build not small but i brought my mkii, 24-104 and 50mm and a tripod to phuket. shopped around and travelled the whole day INCLUDING carrying shopping bags. it was very tiring so the min i reach hotel.....i wake up seeing daybreak :P
    like you mentioned, its your determination.

* i brought my tripod and left the mounting plate in sg.

Actually depends on what you are doing in your trip. If I am n business trip, will bring the X100, cos no time to so sightseeing, and just need a camera, for the reason sometimes iphone will also do.

But if I am on holiday and expect to do sightseeing and visiting places, will bring the DSLR and a wide angle lens and a zoom do it all and a fast prime + the X100. reason is that you do not do sightseeing everyday, and sometimes goes shopping, you will be delighted that you bring only the X100 along.
    Nikon D90

See if u can find any shop to rent lens in japan then u can just bring ur x100 and 5d mark 2 body, can rent differnt lens everyday =P

i will bring my ep3 for travelling
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

This thread is 2wks old.
    I think TS probably ate his sushi in Tokyo already

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12