Thread: Where to register a website

Default Where to register a website

any help/ guidance on choosing the best place to register a website would be greatly appreciated.

I use http://www.godaddy.com , reasonable price and trustable services.

Default Re: Where to register a website

Google "web hosting review Singapore" you can find out a lot of local base web hosting companies, read the reviews and contact the company you have chosen, sign up a web hosting plan and you will get everything you needed.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

first u need a domain name.

for .com.sg (u must have a registered business entity - either limited or sole trader) and .sg as long as u are a Singaporean. Go to sgnic.sg to look for a list of domain registrars. Usually i use vooju.com

for .com .net etc, i usually use namecheap.com

next, u need a webhost to host your domain name and website. u can use google to look for singapore webhost. Do use reputable companies (price not ex also) and have good support (in case u need it).

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    first u need a domain name.

for .com.sg (u must have a registered business entity - either limited or sole trader) and .sg as long as u are a Singaporean. Go to sgnic.sg to look for a list of domain registrars. Usually i use vooju.com

for .com .net etc, i usually use namecheap.com

next, u need a webhost to host your domain name and website. u can use google to look for singapore webhost. Do use reputable companies (price not ex also) and have good support (in case u need it).
    yes, good support is very very very important, if not when your site is down or crush, cry father cry mother and nobody come and help you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Godaddy CEO killed elephants.

Just saying... in case you animal lover.
    Last edited by sjackal; 20th March 2012 at 09:28 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

A piece of advice, don't mix your domain name registrar with your web hosting provider.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    A piece of advice, don't mix your domain name registrar with your web hosting provider.
    yes. especially if the webhosting company offers u free domain name. dun take it. cos once u leave this webhost u will be forced to buy the domain back or risk losing it back!

I've been using oryon.net for the past 4 years & 3 or 4 websites, so far so good.

Well I have 3 domains now 2 with godaddy and 1 with namecheap and I would recommend namecheap any day...

Newbie hear so cannot post links

Why namecheap is better
    1) It gives you a free whois guard for first year - It protects your personal information
    2) Gives a free 1 year free positive SSL if you plan to use that... All these are extra in godaddy

Also there is a promotion which happens on facebook which lets you get heavy discounts and I got mine in one of those promotions. I would recommended namecheap anyday over godaddy

Second to host the site you can choose godaddy or namecheap but I would suggest to use a third hosting provider like
    1) hostgator
    2) ninjalion (can get coupons to make it even more cheap)
    3) you can also use blogspot to host a free website this is an example of a sample site I have in blogspot techgogs . com (there is no space)

or if you want really cheap but not very reliable hostso

Do you plan to design the site yourself ?

If u are a registered company, Singapore government gives the first Year free registration for SME .

The domain registra can be found in sgnic.sg

Since my target market is mainly in Singapore, I prefer local hosting site as it gives me faster connection and quick support response. I am using USonyx.

You can always transfer one hosting to another without have to worry too much as your service provider will generally help u but u need to make sure the domain is registered under your name.

USonyx hosting is the best I have encounter so far. It's amazing... So check them out. They are more then willing to help you to do the whole process and response time is amazingly fast.

Most my issues are fix within hours or minutes with them.

Regards,

Hart

I've tried a few hosts (Yahoo, Hostway etc.) for my domain for around 14 years now. Yahoo was awful back then. The current one I'm on is Bluehost, and it's worked very well for the last 4-5 years now. Loads of customization, root level access, and scripts for me to use etc.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I use Go Daddy Mobile - Domain Search, Go Daddy Commercials , reasonable price and trustable services.
    tks for informing.. i plan to use them.. i will exlpore other alternatives.. detest such behaviour .. disgusting

i use vooju.. not too bad, the response time is fast but note that if you want a .com, .biz, .com.sg domain, you need to be registered with ACRA..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    i use vooju.. not too bad, the response time is fast but note that if you want a .com, .biz, .com.sg domain, you need to be registered with ACRA..
    you dun need to be registered with ACRA if you are just registering .com , .biz these two is open to everyone.

you are only required to registered with ACRA if you wish to register a .com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    you dun need to be registered with ACRA if you are just registering .com , .biz these two is open to everyone.

you are only required to registered with ACRA if you wish to register a .com.sg
    Oh yea yea.. the SG domains. sorry..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

thank you all for your inputs. i have my firm registered with acra as a solepropritor. i plan to design my own website speically for selling large format prints and stock images.

I went over godaddy and namecheap. I think i will choose namecheap. Having a view on my plans, can you those who crossed this path earlier share their experiences and challenges please.

Also, should one register for longer periods (10 years) or keep renewing ever year.
    Last edited by photograpix75; 25th March 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photograpix75 View Post
    thank you all for your inputs. i have my firm registered with acra as a solepropritor. i plan to design my own website speically for selling large format prints and stock images.

I went over godaddy and namecheap. I think i will choose namecheap. Having a view on my plans, can you those who crossed this path earlier share their experiences and challenges please.

Also, should one register for longer periods (10 years) or keep renewing ever year.
    I would suggest to register for one year first to see how is the service and if you like it increase for a longer time or switch.... Namecheap offers better value right now so I would go with that rather than godaddy...

Get a paypal account for payments and you are good to go.... Check if any promos are going on now and then register your domain... For hosting it would depend on your bandwidth requirements and how professional is your website...

Thank you for the quick inputs. Will register for 1 year and see how it goes.