Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Need Some Advice on What to Get

  1. #1

    Default Need Some Advice on What to Get

    I'm not really a "newbie" to Photography, but I need some advice on my current situation.

    I currently own a 6.0 megapixel Panasonic DMC-FX10 which has optical 3x zoom (35-105mm), and have been saving up for a DSLR.

    Meanwhile, I'm thinking of having a replacement for my 4 to 5 years old PnS, and my budget is less than $1000.

    I would like to have slightly longer reach than my current PnS, manual controls, HD movie recording, and probably higher ISO limit with acceptable images (currently limited at ISO 1250).

    I understand that all these are achievable with a DSLR, but there are just times where a DSLR is too bulky and the extra weight is just not worth bringing out.

    Hope you guys out there can recommend me something. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by abcd012340 View Post
    I'm not really a "newbie" to Photography, but I need some advice on my current situation.

    I currently own a 6.0 megapixel Panasonic DMC-FX10 which has optical 3x zoom (35-105mm), and have been saving up for a DSLR.

    Meanwhile, I'm thinking of having a replacement for my 4 to 5 years old PnS, and my budget is less than $1000.

    I would like to have slightly longer reach than my current PnS, manual controls, HD movie recording, and probably higher ISO limit with acceptable images (currently limited at ISO 1250).

    I understand that all these are achievable with a DSLR, but there are just times where a DSLR is too bulky and the extra weight is just not worth bringing out.

    Hope you guys out there can recommend me something. Thanks in advance!
    Just take note for dslr, there isnt really a lot of them with AF movie mode. Unless you want to enter the bottomless pit of $$$ that is buying dslr system, i recommend instead advanced pns like Canon SX40 or G1X. Depending how they are used, they can be better then dslr in everyday shooting.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Just take note for dslr, there isnt really a lot of them with AF movie mode. Unless you want to enter the bottomless pit of $$$ that is buying dslr system ...
    I've already decided to enter the pit, just not yet, with the limited funds I have. Need to earn more $$$.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    ... i recommend instead advanced pns like Canon SX40 or G1X. Depending how they are used, they can be better then dslr in everyday shooting.
    To my understanding the G1X isn't that great of a PnS due to its AF, so will skip that. Have done my research on the SX40.. Seems like it's more or less similar to that of the Nikon P500.
    Last edited by abcd012340; 20th March 2012 at 09:15 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    If bulk is a concern, then go for nex or m4/3rd
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by abcd012340 View Post
    ...Need to earn more $$$...
    I think you already know what you need to get

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If bulk is a concern, then go for nex or m4/3rd
    That would mean > $1000..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I think you already know what you need to get
    I roughly have in mind what to get for my future DSLR, but not my PnS replacement.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abcd012340

    That would mean > $1000..
    No, not at all.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default

    Go bns look for 550d with 18-55 lens.
    I believe < $800 can get.
    Or 600d < $1000

    FYI, although they are entry level Dslr, I find them really good. I am surprise that iso control is so good even better than 50d ...
    Last edited by ahboy168; 20th March 2012 at 10:35 PM.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168
    Go bns look for 550d with 18-55 lens.
    I believe < $800 can get.
    Or 600d < $1000
    He already said no dslr.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default

    How about a Sony hx9v ? Retail price at 549, think it's effective range is 24mm-300mm plus . Would be an affordable compact travel zoom .
    Alpha and Omega

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    How about a Sony hx9v ? Retail price at 549, think it's effective range is 24mm-300mm plus . Would be an affordable compact travel zoom .
    The good: Brilliant LCD screen; excellent build quality; very good low-light image quality; manual exposure control; beautifully colored images; very good video quality.
    The bad: Video recording takes a few seconds to initialize; can blow highlights when using auto modes, in-camera battery charging is a bit of a pain; no RAW capture.
    The bottom line: The HX9V makes an ideal travel companion for those who enjoy life on the road, with a great feature set, including a 16x optical zoom lens.
    - From CNET Asia (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Review - Cameras - CNET Asia)

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    Keep the suggestions coming in!

    EDIT: Just realised there isn't Aperture and Shutter Priority modes.
    Last edited by abcd012340; 20th March 2012 at 11:41 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Can also consider the Nikon P7100 or Canon G1X

    More manual controls
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  14. #14
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Well for point and shoot,

    1) Olympus XZ-1
    2) Nikon P5100
    3) Panasonic LX-5
    4) Canon S95, S100, G12 and the newly released G1X
    5) Sony WX-7 (I have one, and it is pretty good).

    Actually, you could look at various m4/3 cameras. I believe the Panasonic GX1 cost not more than S$1000. The m4/3 camera should have much better high ISO noise control as compared to most PnS, except maybe for the Canon's G1X.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well for point and shoot,

    1) Olympus XZ-1
    2) Nikon P5100
    3) Panasonic LX-5
    4) Canon S95, S100, G12 and the newly released G1X
    5) Sony WX-7 (I have one, and it is pretty good).

    Actually, you could look at various m4/3 cameras. I believe the Panasonic GX1 cost not more than S$1000. The m4/3 camera should have much better high ISO noise control as compared to most PnS, except maybe for the Canon's G1X.
    Thanks for the elaborate list! I'm currently looking into a second hand Sony NEX-5N.. Now that you've mentioned it, which model is comparable to it?

  16. #16
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by abcd012340 View Post
    Thanks for the elaborate list! I'm currently looking into a second hand Sony NEX-5N.. Now that you've mentioned it, which model is comparable to it?
    Sony NEX5n is an APS-C sensored mirrorless camera, in theory it should have better high ISO noise control as compared to the Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 sensor cameras.

    The main issues with the NEX 5n (in my opinion) was that the lens aren't exactly small and compact. The Olympus and Panasonic's offering had smaller lenses and had an overall smaller package.

    As to which model is comparable to the Sony Nex-5n, I would say, no model or all models... depending on what you are looking at. So it all boils down to yourself and which camera is more comfortable in your hands.

    Btw, I have an EPL1, and is loving it. Have brought it on a vacation recently and found that it is very very useful and easy to carry around. The newer Panasonic GX1 and Olympus offering, had much better AF speed and accuracy as compared to the EPL1 and noise control is also better in the newer offerings, almost as good as APS-C sensor I would say.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  17. #17

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by abcd012340 View Post
    Thanks for the elaborate list! I'm currently looking into a second hand Sony NEX-5N.. Now that you've mentioned it, which model is comparable to it?
    In terms of image quality? Nikon D7000, etc. Same sensor.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    In terms of image quality? Nikon D7000, etc. Same sensor.
    Oh wow, that's a new insight for me. I knew that the D7000 was a Sony sensor, but didn't know it was used in the 5N as well!
    This should mean that the 5N has better noise management and higher ISO limits then?

    Just to add on, I'm reading the GX1 Review from DP Review, and in short this statement describes my current situation:
    "DSLR owners looking for a second 'go-anywhere' camera with high image quality embraced the camera's comprehensive external controls and its relatively compact."
    Last edited by abcd012340; 21st March 2012 at 07:26 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Need Some Advice on What to Get

    Found a great summary from another thread:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...evel-dslr.html

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Either MILC or DSLR will do.

    Both types of cameras will do well enough for the photography you intend to do.

    MILC options :

    m4/3 - Olympus EP series and OM-D; Panasonic GH2; G3; GX1
    Strengths : small size/weight; nice range of small/fast/good lenses from UWA (ultra wide angle) to short telephoto (ie. 90mm equivalent)
    Cons : slightly poorer high ISO performance (about 1 stop compared to the best APS-C); slightly nosier o/p (real slight) at all ISO levels (no big deal unless you push your files in post process (PP)) ; Less dynamic range; Less DOF control compared to APS-C

    APS-C sensor MILC
    --------------------
    Pentax K-01
    Pros : Largest range of small APS-C lenses. Small/fast/good quality lenses. Backward comparability to all legacy k-mount lenses. On camera shake reduction
    Cons : Largest MILC camera body (though pretty right sized with APS-C lenses)


    Sony NEX
    Pros : Smallest flange distance to use other brand lenses with an adapter (manual focus only)
    Cons : Large sized lenses for a small camera body; mostly slow lenses and zooms; only a few fast primes at the moment (16/2.8; 25/1.8; 501/.8)


    Samsung NX
    Pros : Good sized; Good prime lenses (small; fast; good performance) from WA to short telephoto
    Cons : Not as good high ISO performance compared to the above 2. Very large file sizes in RAW (40MB); Relatively unknown level of user group support here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •