Thread: Batch processing in PS

Default Batch processing in PS

Hi everyone,

Pardon me if this has been asked before.

I shoot with in-camera sharpening off and want to apply USM in PS. I'm sure there's an easier way of applying one (or a series of) action(s) to a bunch of pics instead of doing them one-by-one. Can someone pls tell me how to batch process a bunch of pics?

Default ps actions

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Hi everyone,

Pardon me if this has been asked before.

I shoot with in-camera sharpening off and want to apply USM in PS. I'm sure there's an easier way of applying one (or a series of) action(s) to a bunch of pics instead of doing them one-by-one. Can someone pls tell me how to batch process a bunch of pics?

Hi there,
    Thank goodness for Photoshop Actions! It has saved me a whole lota time and trouble.

Ok here is how it goes.

1) Open an image, any image as it is just for getting the actions done.
    2) Go to the ACTIONS tab, click on the arrow at the top right and a dialog box opens, select NEW ACTION
    3) Give a name to this action. ie USM400
    4) Click record
    5) Going back to the image you opened, now go to FILTER, i would go to UNSHARP MASKING as it is what i use.
    6) Set your settings for the USM. Click "ok"
    7) Now go to FILE, save as and select what type of file and quality level and folder you want it to be saved.
    8) Going back to the ACTION tab, click on the black "square" next to the active red "arrow" to stop recording the action.

BATCH PROCESSING:

1) Go to FILE, AUTOMATE > BATCH > under the ACTION select the appropriate action.
    2) "source" select the folder of images you wish to process
    3) "destination" as above, where you want the images to be saved
    4) click "OK" and go watch that TV program you wanted to see

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by COBALT
    Hi there,
    Thank goodness for Photoshop Actions! It has saved me a whole lota time and trouble.
    Thanks got it.

How do i know how much USM to apply, radius and threshold?

Do I repeat the prescribed steps for other image adjustments, eg. brightness/contrast, etc?

hewland

Default How much USM?

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Thanks got it.

How do i know how much USM to apply, radius and threshold?

Do I repeat the prescribed steps for other image adjustments, eg. brightness/contrast, etc?

hewland
    Hi hewland,
    There really IS no one corrent settings. You can play around by opening an unsharpened picture that is correctly-focused

You can try applying amount 100,radius 0.3, threshold 0 , twice

or my usuall settings at amount 400, radius 0.3, threshold 0 just once.

dios v

100%, radius =1, threshold=0 for sharpening. apply less % but same radius and threshold if necessary for subsequent rounds. your results may vary

Hi guys, thks for the replies.

Actually silly question I asked, of course there isn't one set-and-forget parameter for USM

Will go and muck ard with it.

Hewland