Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on buying a traveller P&S with good quality.

Default Need help on buying a traveller P&S with good quality.

Hi all
    I've finally able to go for a Japan tour with my wife but I have read most of the forum that not to bring DSLR along as wife has no intrest and doesn't know how to use or compose, I am having a D7000 with 10-20mm , Kit lens and x1.4 TC to gwt close to 150m.

BUT

not going to take this along SO thought of buying a reasonable good P&S that produce sharp and less noisy shot ( I do hv a Canon S90) but the zoom is too shot ...
    HELP me to decide what to get, light, sharp longer reach.

Thank Bros.
    EDvan

Default Re: Need help on buying a traveller P&S with good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by edvan View Post
    HELP me to decide what to get, light, sharp longer reach.
    So, after going to the shops, trying a few cameras with a longer zoom, then reading the reviews (like the DPreview travel zoom roundup), which models have you shortlisted that also fit your budget?

If you have not done that yet, then do that FIRST. Please do at least some of the basic research first.
    Alpha

Woah. If a S90 isn't good enough, then you do not have many contenders left.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Are you looking for a super zoom roughly the same size as your S90 or are you ok with a larger bridge camera? There are many super zooms available but don't expect the same image quality as your S90. Usually zooms sacrifice on quality for that extra reach unless you want to look at the Fujifilm X-S1 which seems to combine quality with great zoom.

Hi, Take a look at this.
    Top 10 Pocket Megazooms | PCWorld

You have D7000 so I think you know what settings you should use for the PnS to get good photos,
    which is eg. :

Not use Program or auto ISO because software in camera will use high iso to avoid camera shake and low light condtions.
    This will mean grainy pictures which don't look sharp.

If basic PnS better to use SCN (scene) modes like landscape,portrait,sunset,cloudy,shadow,interior or flash to have optimum
    shutter speed, aperture and white balance (colour).

Lastly, there is no getting away from the learning curve even when using a PnS. Enjoy your stay in Japan.

S90 comes with F2 right?
    I'm afraid i can't help you.

Blog Entries

TS, if you want something better than the S90... The new Canon G1X might be the one for you.

Thanks all Bros...
    I will take a closer look again, actually I don't mind a bridge camera, if you had use one before with low noise and sharp with focal lens that cover like 18-400mm on like on DSLR,, please recommend to me PLEASE.

Of course, I can't demand it IQ to be like a DSLR. I used a Fuji S200EXR before but it sensor is the same as s100EXR Hmmm.....

Thanks again bros for borthing all but please....
    Thanks .

For good reach, bigger than PnS sensor such as S90. TS might want to check out the Fujifilm XS-1.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Thanks all Bros...
    I will take a closer look again, actually I don't mind a bridge camera, if you had use one before with low noise and sharp with focal lens that cover like 18-400mm on like on DSLR,, please recommend to me PLEASE.

Of course, I can't demand it IQ to be like a DSLR. I used a Fuji S200EXR before but it sensor is the same as s100EXR Hmmm.....

Thanks .
    The Canon G1x has a sensor that is almost APS-C size.. and is offering DSLR quality.. you might like to look into that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The Canon G1x has a sensor that is almost APS-C size.. and is offering DSLR quality.. you might like to look into that seriously.
    no matter how great G1X, that does not fit his bill. TS want 18-400mm, there is basically no camerea that offer 18-400mm. but there is X-S1 offers 24-624mm..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    no matter how great G1X, that does not fit his bill. TS want 18-400mm, there is basically no camerea that offer 18-400mm. but there is X-S1 offers 24-624mm..
    want fresh, want cheap, want big big... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

want fresh, want cheap, want big big... LOL.
    Haha!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by edvan
    Thanks all Bros...

Thanks .
    There is no cam that cover 18-400mm. If u know there is one, tell me. I also wan to buy

Anyway, how u going to take pic at 400mm?

Thanks mds80

I dont mind bridge cam, had a Fujifilm S300EXR b4 sold cos brought 4 days abd dead, send for service to far from Jurong and don't trust.
    But reading the X-S1 looks good but battery for number of shots was only 400+, so low.
    Any others brand you use?

Thanks
    Edvan

Fujifilm read ......battery hold only y400 shots only leh !!!!
    Means must carry 3 battery each day when on tour enough?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Sure thanks daredevil, I will take a look at Canon G1X , cos Fujifilm uses electronics viewing finder like a55 (not like) and used Fujifilm S2000EXR B4 sensor small like s100 only with DLSR look only.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by edvan
    Thanks mds80

I dont mind bridge cam, had a Fujifilm S300EXR b4 sold cos brought 4 days abd dead, send for service to far from Jurong and don't trust.
    But reading the X-S1 looks good but battery for number of shots was only 400+, so low.
    Any others brand you use?

Thanks
    Edvan
    I'm quite puzzled. How much are u willing to spend on a camera for tis trip?

Sure thanks daredevil, I will take a look at Canon G1X , cos Fujifilm uses electronics viewing finder like a55 (not like) and used Fujifilm S2000EXR B4 sensor small like s100 only with DLSR look only.

Thanks again.
    I would prefer an accurate EVF over a cheap, inaccurate excuse for an OVF...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    I'm quite puzzled. How much are u willing to spend on a camera for tis trip?
    For a trip to Japan for 2 will be approx. 8K plus all others uncountable expanditure beside the tour charges.

For to enjoy, get a good light, sharp, simple even wife can shoot as DSLR she has no way to handle. cos I used D7000 with 300mm F4+ 1.4./1.7,10-20mm, SP90 + Raynox and a very stable tripod as my hobbby.
    (So Bros !!!!! how to bring all these, wife will scold me like MET dog).

As such need something better than my present S90 whereby able to produce work in low light, Canon set at F2 under manual control still not able to produce a good peice of work even PP with the help of "Noiseware" + "Lightroom4.x)

So KINDLY help me as I am now looking at the specs for both Canon G1X AND Fujifilm XPRO1 BUT WILL compare side by side for specification with S90 and S200EXR which I had used before, before buying.

Thankyou so much and really bothering all bros and senior to much........say thanks

After looking at other forum, I think Canon " http://www.adorama.com/ALC/Article.aspx?alias=First-Look-Canon-PowerShot-G1-X&utm_source=ET&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Emai l010912Canon"
    is a good considersation...... comments any .
    Last edited by edvan; 21st March 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast