Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does digital photography save you?

Default How much does digital photography save you?

Hi. I'm a film SLR user. Would like to ask those who have had digital cameras and shoot frequently, how much has digital photography have actually saved you as compared to using film? This is especially in consideration all the other peripheral gadgets like memory cards, upgrading software and upgrading cameras etc. Just a rough estimate will do.

Being more electronic intensive, do digital cameras, especially with their expensive CCD, more prone to breakdowns?

Thanks.

Saved me nothing!

End up spending more on gear than I would ever spend on film and developing.
    hehe

I guess in terms of monetary savings, its not easy to give you a figure. But in terms on non-monetary, it saves you time and effort esp. if you need to post, upload or email your pictures immediately without the need to go for a photo developing. Not to mention that you have an instant picture (via LCD) to verify and correct your shots on the spot.

It is not the $ I saved. But digital allow me to do more creative work and easier. If you really work it out the saving actually work out on the time you need to spent on the computer. So you save in material (film cost?) but spent more time on the computer (manhours)

Camera can cost $1k, $10 and even $100k.....But memory >>> Priceless

To me, if I intend to use a digital cam to save money, then I guess I will not go far in my quest of photography knowledge......I choose digital mainly because it's very convenient and highly reliable as I can make sure every single shot is WISIWIG....also I can store it or manupulate it easily

from a pro point of view.....not sure coz i'm no pro.

from my noob point of view.....priceless coz it's the future.

I'm also a film user. Not to offend anyone, but film will still gives you the best resolution to blow up big poster size pictures. Each film has it's own kind of special characteristic for different applications, just like an artist's paint palette and paint medium. I wouldn't want to waste countless manhours modifying each and every picture to get the colors I want, would spend my time productively shooting more pictures. There are already pros switching back to the good old film camera because they are not making money by always sitting infront of the computer manipulating the colors/pictures.

Digital cameras are just like computers, can't catch up with them. Every few months, the manufacturers come up with new models and their prices are exorbitant. How to catch up?? If I were to buy one, it will only be my "proof" camera to check that the metering is right before shooting on actual film.

Anyway, in short, whether digital or film, the costs adds up to almost the same. Depending on how you weigh the pros and cons of each medium.

One more thing, digital still needs to improve a lot on long time exposure in night photography.

The issue had been discussed over and over for many times. No conclusion and no finding. Let the individual decides his best options.

Yappy

Blog Entries

the camera (film/digital) is just a tool, you need to choose the best tool to suit the purpose.

The $ savings does not matter if you are passionate about your work, did the cost of film, developing and printing ever stop you from shooting?

A great photo is priceless.

BTW I use both digital and film.

You save up on processing but not on equipment. And how many film users you know blow up their picture to poster size? This is a never ending topic. Just go for what you like. By the way just like vcr and cd and no dvd, ultimately in the future everything will be digital. You can't fight the change. It's only a matter of time. You decide. I too use digital and film.

*sigh* I tot I'll save money and shoot more after going digital. Shoot more I did...but save money? NO.

Started off with a 4MP prosumer cam...256MB CF was good enough. Post processing with my old Intel P3 machine still bearable.

Then upgraded to the 6MP D70 and realised that my old 256MB CF card can only take a handful of pics on RAW mode...then off I went to buy a 1GB card. More $$

I later realised that my old PC can no longer handle 3-4MB image files created by the 6MP cam...and yep...you guessed it. Spent 3K to buy a new PC...faster graphics card, more RAM, more HDD, better monitor.

I must've spent more than 10K with the switch to digital

Spending S$1.7K to buy a DSLR is only the first step into the bottomless pit Buyers beware...

please treat film and digital as two different formats, see what kind of format you perfer.Most hobbies are about spending $$$. From my POV, the output is different, the process, the mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidenII
    I'm also a film user. Not to offend anyone, but film will still gives you the best resolution to blow up big poster size pictures.
    Totally agreed. I can't print my 4mp pictures on poster size pictures.

Nothing beats the feeling of holding your own shots on a hard proof of slides or negatives.

Never ending debate on this issue, choose what you think is best for your applications.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidenII
    I'm also a film user. Not to offend anyone, but film will still gives you the best resolution to blow up big poster size pictures. Each film has it's own kind of special characteristic for different applications, just like an artist's paint palette and paint medium.
    for D100/D70 alone has a feature to upload curves which can mimic the color of well beloved films like Fuji Velvia, Realia, etc. some of the pics can even be "as is", meaning straight out of the camera.... post processing may not always consume time if you can get the pictures right during the shoot itself and post processing is just a plus! just my observation.

The more u shoot the more u save ..

I think save me a lot. i shot over 8000 pic and many initial ones are test shots which I will never develop....if used film 8000 pic is over S$1000+ .... i develop some of this 8000 pics. hee hee....

save alot on films and developing them.
    Imagine having to buy rolls of films which cost alot while u have to keep them in a bag.
    With SD cards, i just stuff them into my pockets.
    With 768MB, I can take hundreds of photos with some video recording.
    For films, sometimes the photos turn out to be over or under exposed.. or some idiots with their eyes shut. So all those precious moments gone to waste.
    With LCD monitor, wysiwyg... thus u feel safer.

I think there are pros and cons of both system. I still like my family photos to be viewable 30 years down the road. Maybe jpeg or computers do working by then?

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    I think there are pros and cons of both system. I still like my family photos to be viewable 30 years down the road. Maybe jpeg or computers do working by then?
    dunno still got computer 30 years later or not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast