Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many of u guys own a electric dry cabinet or dry box for protecting ur SLR or DC?

sigh, no space to put a dry cabinet.

Laughing_Vulture
    Guests

me too, no space for DC, so i use air tight container.

on the point of recycling/drying silica, i discover the "thirst˙ hippo" thing does the trick.
    when i notice the silica turning pink i throw in the thirsty hippo into my container and it will turn blue the next day. On the other hand dunno wat's the humidity like.

Originally posted by Laughing_Vulture

on the point of recycling/drying silica, i discover the "thirst˙ hippo" thing does the trick.
    when i notice the silica turning pink i throw in the thirsty hippo into my container and it will turn blue the next day. On the other hand dunno wat's the humidity like.
    Thirsty hippo?

What's that?

Laughing_Vulture
    Guests

a very powerful super duper drying agent....

"thirsty hippo"is the brand name lah...

should be able to find in any supermkt

Originally posted by Laughing_Vulture

Beware that if the humidity is TOO low, u will end up destroying your cam/lens. All the lubricant dry up, coating too dry...etc.

Why so hard spending just S$99 for a electric dry cabinet? U can use it to keep medicine, herbs, stamp, negative, photos, precious stuff that is sensitive to high humidity.
    DR KOH KHO KING

electric dry cabinets are ugly and takes up unnecessary space. If you have that much equipment then fine. But for most people, 1 or 2 plastic cases is enough.

i'm also wondering whether this 'mould' problem is overstated if you keep things in a room that has

(1) plenty of sunlight in the daytime
    (2) you use aircon at night - (the humidity drops to 50-55 with aircon on...)

in such a situation, for short term storage (i.e. you take the camera out frequently), simply leaving it in a simple tupperware might be sufficient...

Default Re: how many of u guys own a electric dry cabinet or dry box for protecting ur SLR or DC?

Originally posted by ah_fu
    hi guys,

juz wan to find out if it is worth it to invest in some box to keep the camera dry?

any one got a cheap way to keep ur cam away from fungus?
    I have found it definitely worthwhile getting an electric dry cabinet. Bought one more than 15 years ago after inheriting a Nikon FE and some lens. Initially I had been using the silica gel method but found that I was constantly taking my equipment out of the box and exposing the gel to outside air so often that I had to microwave or change the gel too frequently. So to save the headache I bought an all-metal electric dry cabinet for slightly under $200. The name is DRY-CABI, don't know if it's still being produced. It has been sitting quietly in a corner of my room for more than 15 years, never sent for maintainence, keeping the humidity between 40-50% It has more than paid for itself over the years in terms of number of silica gel bottles and lens cleaning fees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12