Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Teleconverters

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Teleconverters

    When using TC, lets say a 2.0X, the f-stop will increase right? But, by how much?

    Example: 2.0X TC + lens with f5.6
    What is the largest aperture I can get? I heard people saying increase 2 stops but what will it be?

    I don't own a TC, so need you guys to contribute.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    f6.3? f8? depends on the TC i guess, i wonder if the Minolta TC, auto shows the widest aperture.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    When using TC, lets say a 2.0X, the f-stop will increase right? But, by how much?

    Example: 2.0X TC + lens with f5.6
    What is the largest aperture I can get? I heard people saying increase 2 stops but what will it be?

    I don't own a TC, so need you guys to contribute.

    Thanks.
    Just brought 1..mine will cause my len to increase 2 stop.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    When using TC, lets say a 2.0X, the f-stop will increase right? But, by how much?
    the maximum aperture will be decreased by effectively 2 stops
    pls do not use the word "increase" because even though the marked value of the maximum aperture is numerically increased, the fact is that it is decreased

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    Example: 2.0X TC + lens with f5.6
    What is the largest aperture I can get? I heard people saying increase 2 stops but what will it be?
    if the lens starts off with maximum aperture of f5.6, then adding a 2x tc to it will decrease the maximum aperture to f11. however do note that from 5.6 to 11, it is a numerical increase

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    ok, lets not use increase or decrease,
    lets say the lens is f6 and using 2.0X TC, the largest aperture will be f12?
    so that means 1 f-stop is refered to the lens largest aperture, be it f5.6 or f8. but once used with a 2.0X TC, 2 f-stops, it becomes f11 and f16?

    Am I right?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    so that means 1 f-stop is refered to the lens largest aperture, be it f5.6 or f8. but once used with a 2.0X TC, 2 f-stops, it becomes f11 and f16?

    Am I right?
    Yeah correct, sort of.

    You are using Minolta system right?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Yeah correct, sort of.

    You are using Minolta system right?
    yup. thank you all for the input, finally i have confirmed the theory.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •