Thread: Suggestion on P4 motherboard (478 socket)

Question Suggestion on P4 motherboard (478 socket)

Hi all,

Good day.

Currently, my Intel 850MV motherboard spoil liao...

So, I am looking for compatible and stable motherboard for my Pentium 4 1.7GHz (478 socket) processor. Could you all please suggest the brand and type/model of the motherboard that I should look for?

And normally how long is the warranty for motherboard?

Btw, I am using RDRAM, but I do not think there is any motherboard that support RDRAM now

So, I think I have to use DDR RAM. It seem to me that there is quite a lot of different speed DDR RAM in the market, I have really no idea which type to choose.

I hope you all can share with me your experience with those motherboards, processor and also type of RAM that I should use.

Again, I am looking for stable system. Your suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

no point to stay with RDRAM, what with the sky high prices.

move to DDR RAM instead for lower price per MB.

if you want a stable board, you won't go wrong with an ASUS board, check out the P4P800, price is pretty good now, around $180+.

If you do not want to spend a lot...an 865PE motherboard should be good enought now and will be compatible to your current CPU...check out from MSI, ABit, Asus or even Intel website to see if you CPU is in the supported list

As for Ram....unles you still want to hang on to your investment on the RDRAM....alternatively DDR should be quite cheap now, 2 x 256MB DDR400 is around $150~$180

I use MSI 865PE Neo-S m/b. Very good quality product and yes, it's stable. No hiccups so far (1 year+).

^5!!! I am using a MSI Neo2 too....but I found the core center irritating....I prefer the no nonsense of my previos Abit BH7 unfortunately it was only a 845PE chip

Anyhow most of the Taiwanese manufacture build very good M/B now so you won't go wrong with anyone

If you already have RDRAM, why don't you stick to it? Switching to DDR will incur additional costs, unless you need to add more RAM.

If possible, get hold of a Asus P4T533-C or get a P4TE. Currently I'm running a P4 3.06GHz (533MHz FSB) on a P4T533-C mainboard for my Video Editing PC. I built my first RDRAM rig back in 2001 during the Socket 423 era. Over the years I managed to accumulate more RDRAM at low cost from people who are forsaking this technology. So it's not too bad afterall.

how abt post ur enquiry to the HWZ.
    I believe they will give you alot of advice