Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Need suggestion on where to learn Japanese

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SYPeck
    Better than me - kenna last minute notice that the makeup exam is two days away, champion me then lost my exam schedule so didn't know what I am suppose to turn up for, found out about the oral last minute and then saw b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Honda sensei inside with Yamano... thought I will be dead. I keep getting two of them for my last three years of oral exam... haiz
    You too? Both my ex teachers. Guess u are kinda distracted

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I think those spoken Japanese in anime belongs to those very casual style that are not acceptable no?

    Anyone enlighten us on that??
    There's no unacceptable or acceptable style de... they are just different styles. And oh boy the Japanese language sure have quite a few of them. There's honorific, humble, casual, dictionary... then also there are words where the women say it in one style and the guys say it in another.

    Anyway the culture is changing and many young people now don't follow strictly the use of the proper forms. (ie. not using honorific towards eldery etc, girls using some of the masculine forms)
    Last edited by Amekaze; 16th December 2004 at 05:24 PM.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Japanese speak Jap in many different way. In Anime, you get the casual style (plus cursing etc ). Ladies speak in a certain way, guys speak in other ways, you speak to seniors and supervisors in different ways, and to the juniors in another way.

    We all start at the basic loh, the polite way. Then as you progress, you will go to the casual way and you will get exposed to the most polite way etc etc.

    I usually converse with my teachers in casual way - that's why in oral exam usually die loh, cannot revert to polite way

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xdivider
    You too? Both my ex teachers. Guess u are kinda distracted
    Not your kind of distracted ! I prefer speaking to my other senseis and these two happen to never teach me before so I get nervous when speaking to them.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alangoh
    Try Bunka Language School... www.bunkalang.com, class size normally about 12 people, also taught by native japanese speakers...
    Hmm.... Who learnt at this school?

    It looks good, by forcing Hiragana on u, it seems to have an effect on language learning...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    There's no unacceptable or acceptable style de... they are just different styles. And oh boy the Japanese language sure have quite a few of them. There's honorific, humble, casual, dictionary... then also there are words where the women say it in one style and the guys say it in another.

    Anyway the culture is changing and many young people now don't follow strictly the use of the proper forms. (ie. not using honorific towards eldery etc, girls using some of the masculine forms)
    Minus the honorifics? I guess globalisation is having an effect.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Minus the honorifics? I guess globalisation is having an effect.
    As long as you are not required to use Jap in your work area, honorifics does not play an important part. Even my jap friends have problems with honorifics so its a problem faced by young Japanese as well!

  8. #28

    Default

    It's something like us now where most youngsters got problems speaking dialects lor. (me included!!! )

    Talking about dialects... Japanese also got one... like osaka-ben etc etc. The way they sound damn cool.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    It's something like us now where most youngsters got problems speaking dialects lor. (me included!!! )

    Talking about dialects... Japanese also got one... like osaka-ben etc etc. The way they sound damn cool.
    You forgot Okinawa - theirs even more confusing. And when I went Hokkaido backpacking last year, the Jap they speak is also a bit different.

  10. #30

    Default

    Thanks guys for the heads up! Will check out JCSS

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    It's something like us now where most youngsters got problems speaking dialects lor. (me included!!! )

    Talking about dialects... Japanese also got one... like osaka-ben etc etc. The way they sound damn cool.
    Yah heard before.

    Though never been to Osaka before but I think those living in Kyoto definitely got a certain slang to standard Japanese. Okinawa got their own dialect and Hokkaido one I believe their dialect originated from the natives... The Ainu, probably more to Russian slang or something like dat. But anywhere u go, u'll be equally as 'steam' when u hear them talking, cos they rattle quite fast.

    P/S: Dunno u guyz got notice, ppl in Tokyo keep left on escalators and ppl in Kyoto, Osaka keep to their right on escalators...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •