Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: What Wacom tablet?

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    Hmm... that is a difference of price of 129 for the graphire 3 and 319 for the intuos3 A6. Is 4x5 sufficient or should I go for the 6x8? I am not an expert in PS yet. I wonder if getting this tablet will be a waste.

    What is Pen Tool used?
    Try to imagine working on a A6 and A5 lor... usually 6x8" is the norm lah... Well a Graphire3 6x8" is still cheaper than the rest! It's all about the feel and how you work (i.e. the way you draw your strokes) actually! Like two of my friends. One prefers the 6x8" while the other likes the 4x5".

    The pen tool is used to draw bezier paths... hmmm... hard to explain... maybe I'll do a screenshot of an example when I'm back home tonight. Basically it's like you have an arc... using lasso you have to draw along the arc very slowly and carefully to make the selection and still it's not gonna be accurate. With the pen tool, all you have to do is just create a few bezier points along the arc. And to control the curve of the bezier path you just have to adjust the length and angle of the bezier handle.

    Thanks skyestang for the explanation! Not to forget the extra nibs that come with the Intuos3! I wonder what's the feel like. I'd definitely go for the feel that I like anytime. Think think think

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West area
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    I am eyeing on the Intuos 3 actually becoz of the design and look, and perhaps the feel, it looks more comfortable then the Graphire 3. Of coz the price diff is about 170 dollars to begin with and 270 for the 6x8. But I guess for 100 more, its more worth while to get a 6x8.

    Thanks amkeze for the explanation, just reliase the power of the pen tool. Lasso (magnetic) sometimes does not stick quite accurately, and i dont use the lasso tool anyway. looking fwd to seeing some examples.

    As you said just now if buying the best always work? I need to think carefully b4 making the purchase of either the Graphire or the Intuos 3 instead.


    Just a qn, I am an intermediate in PS, not knowing some of the functions yet, should I brush up my skills in PS before committing to a tablet, or buying now is fine. I scared I will be further underutilizing the tablet with my insufficient knowledge of PS.

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    I am eyeing on the Intuos 3 actually becoz of the design and look, and perhaps the feel, it looks more comfortable then the Graphire 3. Of coz the price diff is about 170 dollars to begin with and 270 for the 6x8. But I guess for 100 more, its more worth while to get a 6x8.

    Thanks amkeze for the explanation, just reliase the power of the pen tool. Lasso (magnetic) sometimes does not stick quite accurately, and i dont use the lasso tool anyway. looking fwd to seeing some examples.

    As you said just now if buying the best always work? I need to think carefully b4 making the purchase of either the Graphire or the Intuos 3 instead.


    Just a qn, I am an intermediate in PS, not knowing some of the functions yet, should I brush up my skills in PS before committing to a tablet, or buying now is fine. I scared I will be further underutilizing the tablet with my insufficient knowledge of PS.
    Magnetic lasso sticks very well when the contrast/colours between pixels is different. Something like the camera's AF in that sense. It hunts when contrast is low.

    It's fine buying the tablet now. Being a noob or pro in photoshop doesn't matter when using a tablet really. I get the impression that you're thinking a tablet is only for use in Photoshop. Well, you'll be amazed that the tablet can do much much more. For photo-editing, most use Photoshop. For drawing/paintings, most use Painter. The tablet can also be used in some CAD and 3D programs. It's more of like a designer's tool (Intuos series). Which is why I say if you only do photos, stick to Graphire3.

  4. #64

    Default

    Forgot to mention... went to TecDrome during my lunch break...

    Here are the counter prices:
    Graphire3
    6x8" - S$239

    Intuos2
    6x8" - S$379
    9x12" - S$479

    Intuos3
    4x5" - S$329
    6x8" - S$459
    9x12" - S$559

    Of course the price can go lower if you're interested to buy on the day itself, says the person at the shop.
    He also told me that the prices can go cheaper depending on the numbers purchased. Different models and different sizes are fine... just as long as all the tablets are made in one purchase. How low he didn't say. All he said was depending on the numbers.

    Maybe you all wanna do a bulk purchase together?

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Maybe you all wanna do a bulk purchase together?
    Yes! Count me in... I found some intuos2 6x8 at $365....

    Btw, magnetic lasso is not too accurate but ok for a quickie... I am using polygonal lasson and pen tool.. This combi seems to be better.

  6. #66

    Default

    Sorry OT a bit.

    Here's the example. Selection done within 1-2 minutes. Done in Adobe Illustrator so that the bezier points can be seen. Works the same way in Photoshop anywayz. Left side of the neck there can see the handle of one bezier point. That's what you control to adjust the curve of the path.



    Oh... image courtesy of gettyimages.com
    Last edited by Amekaze; 22nd December 2004 at 04:51 PM.

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Sorry OT a bit.

    Here's the example. Selection done within 1-2 minutes. Done in Adobe Illustrator so that the bezier points can be seen. Works the same way in Photoshop anywayz. Left side of the neck there can see the handle of one bezier point. That's what you control to adjust the curve of the path.


    Oh... image courtesy of gettyimages.com
    Hehe... that's what i use the pen for also... except the hair.... I prefer polygonal lasso for the hair... sortof like make it spiky and all...

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hehe... that's what i use the pen for also... except the hair.... I prefer polygonal lasso for the hair... sortof like make it spiky and all...
    For hair use extract command to do selection. Makes it look more natural. Looks like we OT more and more...

    Back to tablets... who else want to make bulk purchase?
    Now it's probably me and Zplus only.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West area
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    i might be interested, but maybe the graphire 3. 4x5, how much is it?

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    i might be interested, but maybe the graphire 3. 4x5, how much is it?
    Graphire3 4x5" standard lor. S$129 around there. Anyway, everywhere is that kind of pricing. Unless we do a bulk purchase. Then can push the price lower hopefully.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Cool... so we have one more to go down together...
    Not sure if it will work but no harm trying...
    SO far....

    1) Amekaze - intuous3 6x8
    2) Zplus - intuous2/3 6x8
    3) Adzz - graphire 4x5

  12. #72

    Default

    Wah... how come got my nick and Intuos3. I'll be getting one. But I haven't really decided which model. Who else wants to join the list? Threadstarter leh? Where did he go to?

    1) Amekaze - Graphire3 or Intuos3 6x8"
    2) Zplus - Intuos2/3 6x8"
    3) Adzz - Graphire3 4x5"

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Wah... how come got my nick and Intuos3. I'll be getting one. But I haven't really decided which model. Who else wants to join the list? Threadstarter leh? Where did he go to?

    1) Amekaze - Graphire3 or Intuos3 6x8"
    2) Zplus - Intuos2/3 6x8"
    3) Adzz - Graphire3 4x5"
    Have you guys managed to buy the tablets? Or still looking for people to join?

  14. #74

    Default

    Oh... I already got mine le. This thread went dead for a while and I couldn't wait (gotta start on some work soon) so I just went ahead to get mine. You all can still go ahead though.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Oh... I already got mine le. This thread went dead for a while and I couldn't wait (gotta start on some work soon) so I just went ahead to get mine. You all can still go ahead though.
    So... which one did you get in the end?? And how much??

  16. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    So... which one did you get in the end?? And how much??
    Got the Intuos3 6x8" @ S$429. The feel is good and the touch strips and expresskeys are really useful. Ergonomics and design also very shiok.

    But now I sibeh jialat... financial crisis liao. Have to eat air for the next few weeks.

    Want to stress again to whoever thinking of buying a tablet. Don't get the Intuos3 if you don't do hardcore graphics work. It's too overkill when Graphire3 and Intuos2 can do the same job.

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Got the Intuos3 6x8" @ S$429. The feel is good and the touch strips and expresskeys are really useful. Ergonomics and design also very shiok.

    But now I sibeh jialat... financial crisis liao. Have to eat air for the next few weeks.

    Want to stress again to whoever thinking of buying a tablet. Don't get the Intuos3 if you don't do hardcore graphics work. It's too overkill when Graphire3 and Intuos2 can do the same job.
    Did you check the price of the Graphire3 and Intuos2? Planning to use it mainly for photo editing, so I guess I should not go for Intuos3 ..

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bangkuangz
    Did you check the price of the Graphire3 and Intuos2? Planning to use it mainly for photo editing, so I guess I should not go for Intuos3 ..
    For the prices you read earlier posts from this thread. Prices won't drop one so the most you can do is bargain.

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    Got the Intuos3 6x8" @ S$429. The feel is good and the touch strips and expresskeys are really useful. Ergonomics and design also very shiok.

    But now I sibeh jialat... financial crisis liao. Have to eat air for the next few weeks.

    Want to stress again to whoever thinking of buying a tablet. Don't get the Intuos3 if you don't do hardcore graphics work. It's too overkill when Graphire3 and Intuos2 can do the same job.
    Price not bad... where did you buy i from??

  20. #80
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    somehow, the apple center in funan sells it at 429 flat...
    sigh.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •