Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Wacom tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    I'm still contemplating on a Intuos2 or Intuos3. ARGH!
    12x18" SO BIG!!! 6x8" is enough for me... I'm not earning big bucks yet (in fact, nothing at all), so have to start small.
    Anyone else wanna buy a tablet?
    Dun think Intuos if u are on a serious budget.

The last time I looked at the Intuos 2 and nearly got a heart attack seeing at the prices. Eventually settled for a smaller Graphire 2 to fool around.

Whilst the drawing area is small, it gets the job done. Anything extra, there's always the keyboard shortcut keys on Photoshop and ur regular trusty mouse to go along.

Went over to Funan during lunch break. Asked the person at pic'n'pixel but he said they don't sell tablets.
    Looks like the only option is TecDrome or Skylet at Sim Lim le.
    Anyone got any other lobangs? Or who can get staff purchase?
    Wonder if MO can get us a cheaper price...
    hmm...guess they were clearing stock when i got mine

Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Just for your consideration.
    Even pros often use only 6x8 for editing.
    You must remember that your keyboard must be placed at a comfy position as you use the shortcuts.

And as for the pressure.aiyah, ver2 or 3 doesn't matter lah..all same.
    The manufacturer just wants you to upgrade.

It's let your car tire. "Mine has more treads!"...If it makes u feel gd,then pay more loh..
    true...but still enough to make people want to buy them or upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    true...but still enough to make people want to buy them or upgrade
    Yah,if I'm the wacom salesman then I'll say something different,haha.

Hahaha... yeah... what a way to sell stuff...
    Anwyay, seems like WACOM is the only major tablet supplier.
    No wonder the prices are sky high.

Yeah... that probably explains the prices. Well... there's one tablet under the brand of Genius... 6x8", 1024 levels of pressure and 4000+ lpi. S$60+ only. Who wants to get that?

I've got a Wacom graphire 4x5 tablet w/Pen and Mouse for sale... anybody wants. Asking for $70 cos I've got no use for it after getting my Intuos 9x12.

Personally, the graphire should be enough for most applications. And the 4x5 comes in very handy especially for Notebook Users. BTW I used to carry this tablet out with my Notebook.

Interested can PM me.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

vince123123
    Guests

anyone has this problem using the graphire or intous - basically when i put the pen close to the tablet but have't touch it yet, and move it around, the mouse pointer moves around! This makes it difficult to control the pen - I always thought that only when you touch the tablet will it take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    anyone has this problem using the graphire or intous - basically when i put the pen close to the tablet but have't touch it yet, and move it around, the mouse pointer moves around! This makes it difficult to control the pen - I always thought that only when you touch the tablet will it take effect.
    That's not a problem vince... it's like that. There's a magnetic thing in the tablet that detects the pen before it even touches the pad. Once the pen touches the pad, it's equivalent to doing a mouse click. Think of it as tablet = paper, pen = pencil/pen.

skyestang: you recently got your 9x12"? Where you got it from @ how much?
    Last edited by Amekaze; 21st December 2004 at 05:08 PM.

i went to SLS today to check out the prices. graphire 3 is selling for 129 and intuos 3 is selling for 319 for the 4x5. I am thinking of getting the 6x8 one, for 410, but need more opinions on this. Is 4x5 sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    i went to SLS today to check out the prices. graphire 3 is selling for 129 and intuos 3 is selling for 319 for the 4x5. I am thinking of getting the 6x8 one, for 410, but need more opinions on this. Is 4x5 sufficient?
    From what i hear, 4x5 means quite a small work space. So a little stroke would mean a big movement on the screen. 6x8 seems to be the optimal. On the other hand, the larger the tablet, the more steady your hands must be... since you need to drag across a larger area for the same stroke or curve. But I guess for occasional touch ups a 4x5 might be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    Intuos3 6x8" @ S$410? Which shop you got the price from?

Some questions to ask yourself to help you decide.

1) Do you have a large or small monitor? Work area lots of space or very cramp?
    2) What you need the tablet for? Photo-editing or drawing/painting/illustrations? If only photo-editing for now, are you going to do some drawing in the future?
    3) Do you really need the smooth gradation/flow? Or do you just need something that has a more natural control than mouse?
    4) What's your budget?

Basically tablet size is just about working with the scale you want. Since all are absolute positioning, you don't even have to worry about drawing to the edge and not being able to continue. It's just a feel that you will get accustomed to after some time of using your tablet. If you can, try to get hold of a 4x5" and 6x8" tablet and play around with it to see what you like.

Now that's one thing I'd prefer Wacom to implement. Get the shops to display some demo sets so we can try our hands on the feel and everything!

i forget the shop name already. its at the 5th level i think? is 410 too expensive? or maybe its 429. hmm. i thought that if i wanna get the 4x5 at 319, i might as well top up 100 + more for A5, which is twice the size of the A6.

i am using for photo editing, dont think i will do drawing in future, no exp, but well, getting one of these might just be the starting point. the mouse sucks in selection, i think that is my complain so far. i am no expert in PS, but an invoice, i might say, so i dunno if intuos is too high end for me.

i dont really like the graphire 3 design, lol, but price might be consideration, unless i just wait and brush up on my PS skills while saving enough money to get the intuos 3 A5 and put an end to the story. :P

I think you talking about the game shop right? I can't remember what price I saw it. S$44x? But I saw it at Funan so yeah S$410/429 seems like the best price we can get for Intuos3 6x8".

Let me guess... you don't use the pen tool do you? A pen might feel more natural to control than a mouse... but it still doesn't give you darn accurate selections (that is if you use the lasso). If you really want precise selections, pen tool is the way to go.

You do only photo editing eh? Then I would say a Graphire3 is all that you need. I admit that the Intuos3 design is really cool but to have that for just photo editing is overkill 300%. There's no photo editing task that will justify the Intuos3 capabilities (and more importantly the price you pay for it).
    Last edited by Amekaze; 22nd December 2004 at 02:07 AM.

$429 is about the average price at funan. you can get that price at applecenter (level 5), pk computer (level 4) and i think south asia (level 3). go for it!

skyestang: you recently got your 9x12"? Where you got it from @ how much?
    Me cheapskate... went to Tecdome in SLS... bargain like hell and ended up getting a MOE Term Contract leftovers with does not comes with any software license, just the drivers CD only.

It is a Intuos 2 9x12. Paid $450 for it. No to mention the colour is special edition colour, silver/purple that is meant for the Term Contract for MOEs. Quite cool.

Last time I think I still saw that they left 2pcs of these 'special' priced tablet. Maybe you guys can give a try.

Frankly, I don't see one can get any cheaper price for MO. Maybe just a coodinated purchase and negotiate, like me, for the sets that supposed meant for supplying to MOE's Term Contract. This price would definitely be much lower.

Frankly speaking, the 6x8 is not enough for use. Actually I used to own the 6x8 Graphire 3 before but ended sold to my colleague.

I am using a 21" CRT monitor, thus in most cases I can view almost 100% of the photo I'm editing. The A4 9x12 is just nice for this setup. I do not need to zoom to very big to do touch up.

BTW did I mention that the 12x12 Intos 2 tablet actually cost the same as the 9x12 in terms of pricing? Reasons for not buying it is because it is square ratio. Our monitor is 4:3, thus there are some part of the tablet we would never reach. Not to mention it is very clumsy and bulky piece of hardware to be put in front of you and the Monitor.

I think no software bundle is fine. Sometimes the software that come with the purchase also not very good. Some are even trial versions.

By the way what's a MOE Term Contract?

You must have a lot of table space for a 21" CRT monitor! I've got a 17" and it's already taking up half of my table!

Does the rule of "go for the best immediately then no need to upgrade for several donkey years" apply here? Hehe

The thing is I'm going NS next year hence I'm hesitating to make an investment on the best model now. Boo...
    Last edited by Amekaze; 22nd December 2004 at 11:26 AM.

I think you talking about the game shop right? I can't remember what price I saw it. S$44x? But I saw it at Funan so yeah S$410/429 seems like the best price we can get for Intuos3 6x8".

Let me guess... you don't use the pen tool do you? A pen might feel more natural to control than a mouse... but it still doesn't give you darn accurate selections (that is if you use the lasso). If you really want precise selections, pen tool is the way to go.

You do only photo editing eh? Then I would say a Graphire3 is all that you need. I admit that the Intuos3 design is really cool but to have that for just photo editing is overkill 300%. There's no photo editing task that will justify the Intuos3 capabilities (and more importantly the price you pay for it).
    Hmm... that is a difference of price of 129 for the graphire 3 and 319 for the intuos3 A6. Is 4x5 sufficient or should I go for the 6x8? I am not an expert in PS yet. I wonder if getting this tablet will be a waste.

What is Pen Tool used?

I think no software bundle is fine. Sometimes the software that come with the purchase also not very good. Some are even trial versions.

By the way what's a MOE Term Contract?
    MOE stands for Ministry of Education. Every year they called a term contract, meaning the call for a bulk contract for supplier to supply all the computers hardware that they think they need for the whole year. These Term Contract would then be extended to the schools and sometimes students like in the case of NUS/NTU students can purchase Notebook at good discounted price. The problem with this term contract is that MOE will not confirm the exact qty of how much each item they need, just a guideline on the minimum qty they need. On the other hand, the supplier will have a difficult time gauge the qty cos whenever they receive a Purchase Order from this term contract, they have to deliver the items within 30days as indicated in the contract. Thus nearing the end of the financial year, the supplier may have surplus items which they need to clear off. That's why we do see IBM, Wacom, and many other brands do have a certain sales of a certain model nearing year end. As this is very obvious in the case of IBM Notebooks, the models for sales is often not listed in the official website and neither does that model being featured in any of the brouchure or in any marketing materials from IBM. And the configuration is often very much different from the rest.

Advantage for the supplier of the Term Contract is that, the price will be firmed. ie if during the earlier tendering stage, if the accept amount for that particular hardware is confirm, the supplier will be able to sell at that price even if the price have drop thru the months. Eg, if a 120gb harddisk is confirmed as $250 in Jan, and even if the price have drop to the current price of $160, the supplier will still able to sell to MOE for teh confirm price of $250. On the other hand the disadvantage would be vice-versa for items that have appreciated in price. But then, when will electronic items appreciate in price???

Wow... such a long answer for a short question. Thanks for reading.

You must have a lot of table space for a 21" CRT monitor! I've got a 17" and it's already taking up half of my table!
    Hmmm... maybe I will take a photo to show here

Does the rule of "go for the best immediately then no need to upgrade for several donkey years" apply here? Hehe
    Yes... get a 9x12, then there is no need for upgrade. Anyway, I personally find the Intos 2 is already too sensitive and have actually lower the sensitivity via the driver. Thus I do not recommend the Intos 3 with 2x the sensitivity... but the extra customisable buttons may proof quite useful for some shortcuts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast