Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jalan Poonpipi
    Posts
    758

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    just make sure you don't get those bags with the camera brand's logo stitched onto them.

    another tip, although this is more of a personal preference, I always cover the brand of my camera and lenses with gaffer tape when overseas. although not a guarantee of theft-prevention, the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" principle applies also. or at least lowers your exposure to would-be thieves.
    Well, the thing is that the bigger the cam and the lens, the more expensive. Thieves and robbers know that, and we all know that. so, what's the point of gaffering - can't fool any fool.

    When travelling, I bring my very old D40 with kit lens. Not big deal when get rob la.

    Just got to take precautions la. Never walk into any dark alleys at night or for that matter, even in bright daylight.

    I suggest you go buy a cheapo bag like those Zinc bags.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

  2. #22

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Thanks Guys! excellent thread!


    where can i get camera inserts?
    need one that can fit my D90 with battery grip and 80-200.

  3. #23

    Default

    got one from OP today. suited my needs perfectly. thanks guys, CS rocks!

  4. #24

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    No offence... but people who are in the 'business' of 'swiping' camera bags will also know how 'camera bags that don't look like camera bags' look like....

    As they say in the army - 'Don't always think the enemy is stupid'.... they also do their research.

    Don't crack your brains, get something that is functional.... when you are out and about - common sense prevail... you just need to be more careful.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  5. #25

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    No offence... but people who are in the 'business' of 'swiping' camera bags will also know how 'camera bags that don't look like camera bags' look like....

    As they say in the army - 'Don't always think the enemy is stupid'.... they also do their research.

    Don't crack your brains, get something that is functional.... when you are out and about - common sense prevail... you just need to be more careful.
    that's why when i travel, i always carry a fold-able knife with me.

  6. #26
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    that's why when i travel, i always carry a fold-able knife with me.
    Somewhere in the hidden "CameraSnatcher" forum, a CSer will pose "that's why when I snatching, i always carry a small gun with me"
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    that's why when i travel, i always carry a fold-able knife with me.
    A foldable knife will cause more problems when a situation arises.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    A foldable knife will cause more problems when a situation arises.
    Can't agree more. Muggers may also have weapons. They also have home ground advantage n may have accomplices nearby.

  9. #29
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    The second you whipped out your DSLR (OR expensive Point-n-shoot)... you are being targetted...

    What do you think? All camera or non-camera bags come with "look into this thing, you'll remember nothing when I pressed this button here" device isit?... hahah

    Just be extra careful and be prepared for the worst.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  10. #30

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    i learned from Bruce Lee. i can take on ninjas jumping at me one by one

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    i learned from Bruce Lee. i can take on ninjas jumping at me one by one
    Haha, even you got Kung fu cannot dodge bullets!

  12. #32

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    Haha, even you got Kung fu cannot dodge bullets!
    kei also learn the art of Matrix dodging.

  13. #33

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Haha... well, if it were me, I'd screw the bag and just travel with a weather proof, bomb proof, unbreakable pro series body and if someone were to try to mug me, I'd clobber the living daylights out of the bugger like it was a big brick in my hand.

  14. #34
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine

    Well, the thing is that the bigger the cam and the lens, the more expensive. Thieves and robbers know that, and we all know that. so, what's the point of gaffering - can't fool any fool.

    When travelling, I bring my very old D40 with kit lens. Not big deal when get rob la.

    Just got to take precautions la. Never walk into any dark alleys at night or for that matter, even in bright daylight.

    I suggest you go buy a cheapo bag like those Zinc bags.
    Well, it's more like not flaunting your gear. Just like getting an inconspicuous camera bag. It's not 100% fool-proof or thief-proof, but its better than showing it off. A simple thief (who doesnt know that much about cameras) will only know which brands are easier to sell off and will target those brands more than those they dont know.

    Of course theres no replacement to common sense and precaution. Think of the gaffer as just one of those added precautions
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

  15. #35

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    I use domke bags, but if i wanted to be extra cautious this would be my choice:

    Hello Kitty! - Hello Kitty DSLR Camera Bag

  16. #36
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    INSERTS..end of discussion..lol
    Agree with that. Frankly when travelling I find having a 35L backpack with the air-mesh padding from Deuter (or in my case Marmut) with an insert is much more practical, cheaper, and more versatile that buying a dedicated backpack from Lowepro, Think Tank or Vanguard. That is what I'm using now, backpack cost me A$65 and the inserts cost me another A$35. Plus I can strap my tripod and water bottles in the side pockets too.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •