Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Silica Gel

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Silica Gel

    Hi all,

    I am looking for silica gel to put inside my camera bag. Is there anywhere which I can puchase them? I tried to fit a 'Thirsty-Hippo' into my bag but it wont fit. Hehe. A bit too much but I guess.

    Anyway what do you guys think? Is it advisable to put it inside my bag? Thanks so much.

    Cheers
    Hazmee

  2. #2

    Lightbulb

    try photo shops. they usually have them in plastic bottles. use the amount you think is sufficient. in your bag? i assume camera bag? why the need?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Oh really? Dang... I should have thought about that. silly me... thanks anyway! Cheers!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    try photo shops. they usually have them in plastic bottles. use the amount you think is sufficient. in your bag? i assume camera bag? why the need?
    Yeah, CP sells it at S$5 per 500g bottle. You can get empty "packet" (for boiling medicine) from chinese medicine shops that costs approx. S$3, and you'll have your handmade "thirsty hippo" ready.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Yeah...I bought those before...purple in color one...quite cheap for a big bottle...a few $ only if not wrong

  6. #6

    Default

    What I did last time was to get a pair of socks, pour some silica gel in it, and sew them tight. Works quite well. Be careful about using Thirsty Hippo, heard from someone on the forum mention before that it can cause the lens coating to peel, whether its true or not, better be safe than sorry

  7. #7

    Default

    Actually, as long as you use your camera/lenses regular, you don't even have to put into a dry box all the time. The fungus problem is not as bad as you think. And if you do not even touch your stuff for a few years at a go, even dry box will have problem protecting it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Thanks for the info guys! Will drop by the camera shop soon. I guess a few dollars wont hurt so much than a lens with fungus. Cheers!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Hi all,

    I am looking for silica gel to put inside my camera bag. Is there anywhere which I can puchase them? I tried to fit a 'Thirsty-Hippo' into my bag but it wont fit. Hehe. A bit too much but I guess.

    Anyway what do you guys think? Is it advisable to put it inside my bag? Thanks so much.

    Cheers
    Hazmee
    Why would anyone need a 'Thirsty-Hippo' inside his/her bag???

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Coast of sunny Singapore
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Why would anyone need a 'Thirsty-Hippo' inside his/her bag???
    me thinks he doesn't have a dry cab or dry box, and that he is keeping his lens inside his camera bag. hence it becomes his dry box and needs silica.

    just guessing.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Coast of sunny Singapore
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Thanks for the info guys! Will drop by the camera shop soon. I guess a few dollars wont hurt so much than a lens with fungus. Cheers!
    btw, i was also told that carrefour's price for this is quite reasonable. i'm yet to check it out.

  12. #12

    Default

    500g bottles of blue silica gel is readily gotten for $3.90/ bottle at many places. Can get cheaper if you buy more bottles. I bought 10 bottles @ $3.50 without bargaining much. FYI

  13. #13

    Default

    i dont understand. why put silica gel in a camera bag when the camera bag isn't even air-tight?

    u are wasting money only, imo.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    i dont understand. why put silica gel in a camera bag when the camera bag isn't even air-tight?

    u are wasting money only, imo.
    i put them into the sony aluminium case... just to protect the filters only... but it turns color damn fast...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    i dont understand. why put silica gel in a camera bag when the camera bag isn't even air-tight?

    u are wasting money only, imo.

    my same thoughts as well, it does not serve its purposes at all

  16. #16

    Default

    try putting silica gel in old stockings (ask your wife/gf/mom) if they have some to spare. stockings are nice and flexible/soft and you can see the color of the silica gel without opening packets or white/balck socks. just a suggestion!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    500g bottles of blue silica gel is readily gotten for $3.90/ bottle at many places. Can get cheaper if you buy more bottles. I bought 10 bottles @ $3.50 without bargaining much. FYI
    Hi there, where can I get it for $3.90?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    There's this photo-lab just beside city hall MRT, which is linked to Guardian.
    Forgot what's the name, but I think they are selling around that price.

  19. #19

    Default

    Last time bought that in Harvey Noman.
    I am wondering whether this thing is poisonous or not hor?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Err....I wouldn't try eating it for sure !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •