Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirrorless or entry level DSLR?

Default Re: Mirrorless or entry level DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    On the contrary, i can also said that smaller is not necessary better
    Yes ... exactly.
    That's why I have both DSLR and M4/3.
    So I can enjoy both. The Canon DSLR is there for the Background blur for portrait.
    Most of the time, I find the M4/3 and LX5 so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Yes ... exactly.
    So I can enjoy both. The Canon DSLR is there for the Background blur for portrait.
    not THE Canon. your Canon DSLR is not the only camera that can achieve the background blur

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    not THE Canon. your Canon DSLR is not the only camera that can achieve the background blur
    Grammar nazi strikes!

*runs for cover*
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Grammar nazi strikes!

*runs for cover*
    what the!!!

i bet you were gonna say it before you noticed that i already correct him

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    what the!!!

i bet you were gonna say it before you noticed that i already correct him
    I was very quiet hor. To me I read it as him referring to his gear - the m4/3 for this, the canon for that...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Yes ... exactly.
    Huh? My m4/3 can also achieve background blur for portrait. I don't really need DSLR to do that.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

Huh? My m4/3 can also achieve background blur for portrait. I don't really need DSLR to do that.
    It just shows how much some people know about photography

Just get any m43 camera. Even an old model if on offer. Most likely you will be happy with it.

If you really need the APS-C sensor consider Samsung also. But IMO m43 sensors are so good these days maybe can give APS-C a miss.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Nice thread... especially when I am swapping to mirrorless. I am not a professional, just a causal photographer. Love my D7000 but I find the setup was too heavy for a trip, also no one willing to share my carrying load. Therefore decided to sell my DSLR and since it was now sold, I am ready to get one mirrorless cam. Would be helpful if someone can provide more info.

If you have friends using DSLR and mirrorless, borrow and try them out. What do you find especially wrong with Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by Rc311 View Post
    Nice thread... especially when I am swapping to mirrorless. I am not a professional, just a causal photographer. Love my D7000 but I find the setup was too heavy for a trip, also no one willing to share my carrying load. Therefore decided to sell my DSLR and since it was now sold, I am ready to get one mirrorless cam. Would be helpful if someone can provide more info.
    It may be helpful to understand the main differences here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...at-method.html

The thread is a little outdated but still relevant. I will have an update ready by Sunday I think.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

What information do you want? Most mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter when compared to a DSLR setup (I say most, because some DSLR, especially the entry level are getting smaller and smaller these days).

As to mirrorless camera, well... one of the main differences was that it didn't had a mirror and most of the AF system of the mirrorless camera was contrast detection. In the past, there is this saying that contrast detection AF is slower than the phase detection AF, now was no longer the case, contrast detection AF can be as fast if not faster than the phase detection AF.

Most major brand of cameras now have mirrorless interchangeable lens camera entries to their camera range - Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung.

1) Nikon's mirrorless camera was the V1/J1 and had a small sensor that had x2.7 crop factor.
    2) Sony mirrorless camera was the NEX series which had APS-C sensor (1.5x crop factor)
    3) Pentax had 2 mirrorless camera entries - Q and K-01 (Pentax Q sport a very small sensor while the K-01 sport the same sensor as the famed K5 DSLR - 1.5x crop factor)
    4) Olympus and Panasonic both shared the same m4/3 sensor (2x crop factor, they can share lenses because they are of the same mounting)
    5) Samsung had a 1.5x crop factor APS-C sensor.
    My lousy shots

Hi Shahmatt, thanks for the link. It does help on widen my understanding on the format and sensors.

Hi Rhin0123, thanks for the info. I am hoping to gather more info regarding the model pro and cons, the lens availablity as well as the accessories. I know it hard to ask and helpful people like you cant answer without me naming any model.

Frankly, mirrorless cam is very new to me and I am still thinking which model to go with. I am just a causal photographer, most time taking street , family and sometimes some landscape photo.

Fuji x-Pro1 is closer to DSLR but high price tag and the limitation of the lens. I am thinking to get sometime that is more versatile (in term of cost and len availablity). My budget is not more than 2.5k. M3/4 looks good enough for me. I dont actually mind the 2x crop factor. I am looking at Olympus OM-D EM5 and I am still exploring other. Maybe some recommendation would be good.

Btw, how does the DOF works on the M3/4 as compare to DSLR since it is having a smaller lens? Correct me if I am wrong...
    Last edited by Rc311; 15th June 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Btw, how does the DOF works on the M3/4 as compare to DSLR since it is having a smaller lens? Correct me if I am wrong...
    I suppose you meant shallow DOF for blur background? It's less easy than APSC & FF sized sensor for sure. Certainly not that difficult still. There are many good primes in m43 that allows one to get shallow DOF. It's also understanding using longer focal length, subject to background distance to help achieve blurrer background. A few shots just to give an idea with different primes. With kit lens, it's also possible just a bit more tough coz of the smaller aperture.

Panasonic leica 25/1.4 +EM5, wide open

Olympus 45/1.8mm + EPL1, wide open

Voigtlander 25/0.95 + EPL1, wide open.

The last lens is native m43 lens but it's manual focus only and difficult to focus because of shallow DOF at times. Certainly if DOF is still not shallow enough, m43 is not for you. Mirrorless APSC like Nex, Samsung, Ricoh GXR, Fuji Xpro1 etc... would be what you be looking at.

If you are keen on more m43 shots, do feel free to look at my flickr sets, or travel with pen thread for a feel of the IQ of Pen. Hope that helps.

Hi Shahmatt, thanks for the link. It does help on widen my understanding on the format and sensors.

Hi Rhin0123, thanks for the info. I am hoping to gather more info regarding the model pro and cons, the lens availablity as well as the accessories. I know it hard to ask and helpful people like you cant answer without me naming any model.

Frankly, mirrorless cam is very new to me and I am still thinking which model to go with. I am just a causal photographer, most time taking street , family and sometimes some landscape photo.

Fuji x-Pro1 is closer to DSLR but high price tag and the limitation of the lens. I am thinking to get sometime that is more versatile (in term of cost and len availablity). My budget is not more than 2.5k. M3/4 looks good enough for me. I dont actually mind the 2x crop factor. I am looking at Olympus OM-D EM5 and I am still exploring other. Maybe some recommendation would be good.

Hi... most of the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras these days came in two format (there are exception though... Pentax Q and Nikon 1 series both use smaller sensors). The two main formats are the APS-C and m4/3 cameras (oh... not to forget there is a FF sensor mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, Leica M9 which is a rangefinder).

As for the DOF, well... of course there is a difference between m4/3 and APS-C camera. but you must actually have knowledge of how DOF work to make the best of things.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Rc311
    U can consider Sony mirrorless SLR like A35, A57. They will be smaller and lighter and still a DSLR fundamentally.

And dont use so many lens. Just use one zoom and one prime. And u are good to go. For causal photographers like us, we don't even need a prime. Just one travel zoom lens will do

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    U can consider Sony mirrorless SLR like A35, A57. They will be smaller and lighter and still a DSLR fundamentally.

And dont use so many lens. Just use one zoom and one prime. And u are good to go. For causal photographers like us, we don't even need a prime. Just one travel zoom lens will do
    A35 and A57 are not mirrorless.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

A35 and A57 are SLT and not mirrorless. They have a mirror.

Yes, they are lighter than most DSLR, but I doubt they are smaller and lighter than entry level DSLR, which was essentially almost or at the same size and weigh.
    My lousy shots

IMHO, a nice mirror less sounds right. Depends not on sensor size but wallet size. Whatever floats your boat for the dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

A35 and A57 are SLT and not mirrorless. They have a mirror.

Yes, they are lighter than most DSLR, but I doubt they are smaller and lighter than entry level DSLR, which was essentially almost or at the same size and weigh.
    Oh! Yes, my mistake. Confusion.

Yes, A35, 57 and so on have a mirror.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast