Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirrorless or entry level DSLR?

Default Re: Mirrorless or entry level DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nonsense. You don't need an ovf to learn composition. An ovf will not improve your images.

Take your 2 cents and invest them in knowledge.
    Is there a need to be so harsh in your reply?

Would you like it if someone told you "why dont you take 2 cents and invest them in some manners"

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    And... why is OVF that essential for beginner to play with photography... and not EVF?
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    and your 2 cents is based on what?
    Nonsense. You don't need an ovf to learn composition. An ovf will not improve your images.

Take your 2 cents and invest them in knowledge.
    However, given a choice... would you pick an EVF over an OVF?

Quote Originally Posted by MechaEd View Post
    I would use whatever available, OVF and EVF. I do not like limiting myself to anything.

I use the OVF of my 1000D, 40D and 7D without feeling awkwardness... then I use the live view on my EPL1 without any difficulty or wishing for an OVF, later I got myself a EVF to put on my EPL1 and still feel right at home. And now my OM-D came with its own EVF and I like it too.

So the point here is... if you limit yourself to one technology and thats it... then you are missing out on lots of fun on alot of things.
    Last edited by rhino123; 5th June 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Depends. I use both, I prefer not to limit myself. A high quality EVF can have huge advantages over an OVF, but a good OVF can have huge advantages over a poor quality EVF.

Or when I use a NEX, I just use the rear screen. Oso can. No need to limit myself.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by 5now5torm View Post
    Is there a need to be so harsh in your reply?

Would you like it if someone told you "why dont you take 2 cents and invest them in some manners"
    There's a difference between rudeness and bluntness. For me, I prefer not to spoonfeed people with a silver spoon and sayang sayang them and tell them "It's ok you're all winners!"
    Alpha

I would use whatever available, OVF and EVF. I do not like limiting myself to anything.
    But that wasn't my question... if whatever's available, an LCD will have to do too.

My question was if given a choice between an EVF or an OVF, would you pick the EVF? Generally speaking since X100 may be an exception.

Edit: for the record, I would gladly swap out the NEx-7's 2 million dot EVF for a basic OVF if I could because at the end of the day, it's just not the same.
    Last edited by MechaEd; 5th June 2012 at 03:05 PM.

But that wasn't my question... if whatever's available, an LCD will have to do too.

My question was if given a choice between an EVF or an OVF, would you pick the EVF? Generally speaking since X100 may be an exception.
    If it's a high quality EVF? Actually yes. There are advantages to never having to look away from the viewfinder, and getting a settings preview, and focus peaking, and "nightvision" at night, and a horizon level meter, and a live in-viewfinder histogram...

And mind you, I'm an A900 user, which has one of the best OFVs ever put in a DSLR. But I can tell you there are some huge advantages to a good EVF.

And remember, even "OVF" is relative. If it's those small little pentamirror boxes entry-level DSLRs give you, almost any EVF will be better.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 5th June 2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Alpha

As I have written in my reply. I don't want to limit myself to anything... so I take whatever I can get my hands on. If you put a DSLR and a mirrorless camera right before me... I will only decide after having a feel of the two cameras and which one feels more 'shiok' in my hands... and which one give me a 'O' in my pants... I don't care if that camera had EVF or OVF, doesn't matter.
    My lousy shots

If it's a high quality EVF? Actually yes. There are advantages to never having to look away from the viewfinder, and getting a settings preview, and focus peaking, and "nightvision" at night, and a horizon level meter, and a live in-viewfinder histogram...

And mind you, I'm an A900 user, which has one of the best OFVs ever put in a DSLR. But I can tell you there are some huge advantages to a good EVF.

And remember, even "OVF" is relative. If it's those small little pentamirror boxes entry-level DSLRs give you, almost any EVF will be better.
    I'll grant you the focus peaking thing is very good. Pity only Sony seems to be seriously exploring it.

Ahhh... but if you're talking about entry level DSLR then you'd have to compare to entry level EVF, not the high end ones like in the OMD and Nex-7

I'll grant you the focus peaking thing is very good. Pity only Sony seems to be seriously exploring it.

Ahhh... but if you're talking about entry level DSLR then you'd have to compare to entry level EVF, not the high end ones like in the OMD and Nex-7
    The entry-level EVF in, say, an A37 or A57 is massively better than the cruddy pentamirror boxes entry-level DSLR cameras give you. You get a near-full-frame-sized frame (as in, how big the viewfinder image is) and 100% coverage. An entry-level DSLR's viewfinder will look like a tiny, dim mirror by comparison.

And you still get the "what the sensor will see" benefit as compared to "what the lens sees".
    Alpha

The entry-level EVF in, say, an A37 or A57 is massively better than the cruddy pentamirror boxes entry-level DSLR cameras give you. You get a near-full-frame-sized frame (as in, how big the viewfinder image is) and 100% coverage. An entry-level DSLR's viewfinder will look like a tiny, dim mirror by comparison.

And you still get the "what the sensor will see" benefit as compared to "what the lens sees".
    Here we differ I guess... I'd rather use my 60D's OVF (it was an Alpha 550 before this) over the NEX-7's 2 million odd dots EVF. I'm actually sorely tempted to get the NEX-7 mind you, but I'm unimpressed with the EVF.

As I have written in my reply. I don't want to limit myself to anything... so I take whatever I can get my hands on. If you put a DSLR and a mirrorless camera right before me... I will only decide after having a feel of the two cameras and which one feels more 'shiok' in my hands... and which one give me a 'O' in my pants... I don't care if that camera had EVF or OVF, doesn't matter.

Here we differ I guess... I'd rather use my 60D's OVF (it was an Alpha 550 before this) over the NEX-7's 2 million odd dots EVF. I'm actually sorely tempted to get the NEX-7 mind you, but I'm unimpressed with the EVF.
    Hey guys, why all the heat?
    It's down to personal preference at the end of the day.
    I personally feel more eye strain with an evf as I wear specs, so prefer ovf. Maybe I haven't tried out the best evfs out there. There's no reason to get heated up about personal preferences. To each his own.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

60D is not entry-level, so quoting my post on entry-level OVFs is not right.

Well, many other people are quite impressed with the EVF and it's benefits after using it for a while. But it's all a subjective thing.

Then again, once Canon and Nikon drop the 1940s-era OVF technology and switch to EVFs, people will be praising it all of a sudden. :P
    Alpha

i don't have a specific preference. i use both OVF and EVF, or any system i can get my hands on. whatever suits my purposes and can do the job will be my pick.

and i use the NEX-7 and A850. i've also used the 5D, the 1D, the D4, the D3s, the X100, Leica etc

in the end, i pick the camera to use based on the situation.

each of the technologies have their own pros and cons. and in the end, the camera is the tool you use to meet your wants (the image) is it not? so why fuss over what to use?

the only losers i see are the ones who champion one technology over the other and are not open to new ideas.

M43 is getting popular nowadays. I own a Nikon system including the trinity lens. But ever since I bought a lumix g system for my last holiday trip, I realize I have been using m43 system more often. When you not young anymore and like to walk a lot to take photo, weight does matters. If you view the photo on 13 inch screen or do normal print, I think you need to look harder to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    Hey guys, why all the heat?
    It's down to personal preference at the end of the day.
    I personally feel more eye strain with an evf as I wear specs, so prefer ovf. Maybe I haven't tried out the best evfs out there. There's no reason to get heated up about personal preferences. To each his own.
    Huh? What heat? I don't find my post that offensive or angry. Merely stating my own opinion. Why is it that nowadays people keep finding my post angry or not happy... truth is... I always try to be kind of neutral.
    My lousy shots

Huh? What heat? I don't find my post that offensive or angry. Merely stating my own opinion. Why is it that nowadays people keep finding my post angry or not happy... truth is... I always try to be kind of neutral.
    lol u nid to go waterloo street liao

You can choose either M43 or entry level DSLR, sony NEX is not suitable as the lack of suitable lens. DSLR will cost less compared to M43 with regard to the same lever image quality; there are more cheap lens to choose for DLSR. There actually have quite a few of small size DSLR such as the new nikon D3200 and a serious of pentax camera. However M43 is certainly much more smaller
    Quote Originally Posted by elvire View Post
    Hi guys, I couldnt make up my mind to upgrade to a mirrorless or an entry level DSLR, hope I can get some advises from this thread. = )

I wouldn't call myself a photographer but I do abit of freelance photography sometime.

Previously used Canon P&S n powershot SX20IS, was quite happy with it but the con of not being able to print bigger than A2 size of photograph (for assignment) made me think of getting an upgrade. (Anyway, sold it to an old classmate)

What I use the camera for?
    - Portrait, studio product shoots
    - Oversea travel scenery landscape shoots
    - Macro shoots (personal hobby)
    - Occasionally wedding, event shoots

Then then, I m quite small build, so a big heavy DSLR is quite a killer for me if I am carrying it the whole day travelling around.

Was actually interested in Canon G1X but found out it does not support macro =(.

(I was quite a pro Canon user so nt v sure about other brands but open minded to them except Sony =x ) Eh, so do you guyz have any recommendation of cameras? Thx Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Baosheng Li View Post
    You can choose either M43 or entry level DSLR, sony NEX is not suitable as the lack of suitable lens. DSLR will cost less compared to M43 with regard to the same lever image quality; there are more cheap lens to choose for DLSR. There actually have quite a few of small size DSLR such as the new nikon D3200 and a serious of pentax camera. However M43 is certainly much more smaller
    excuse me? NEX has a lack of suitable lenses? what the heck are you talking about? even with the current range of 6 lenses on the market, you have the choice to use various adaptors including the A-mount adaptor to use Alpha Lenses, Nikon Lenses, Canon lenses, along with legacy M42, Voightlander, Leica, CZ, and on and on and on.

and what "same level of IQ" between DSLR and Micro 4/3s? and FYI, Nikon and Pentax aren't the ones with small DSLRs. Sony's SLT A33, A35 and A55 are the smallest of the lot. why don't you go read up more before coming in to say that a series of cameras aren't suitable for learning photography

Mirrorless is the future of cameras. The end of big DSLRs is near.

For me, the best is choice the Sony NEX system. It is small but the image quality is not compromised. I had an SLR before (canon 60D) but never missed it when I got my 5N.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast