Thread: Using a 52-77mm step up ring

Default Using a 52-77mm step up ring

Are there any bad effects of using a 52-77mm step up ring? (referring to a lens with a longer focal length than 24 mm). ie vignetting or distortions? Many Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Using a 52-77mm step up ring

Quote Originally Posted by calvinchan View Post
    Are there any bad effects of using a 52-77mm step up ring? (referring to a lens with a longer focal length than 24 mm). ie vignetting or distortions? Many Thanks
    You know how will your lens look like with a 52 to 77 ring?

Quote Originally Posted by calvinchan View Post
    Since the ring has no optical element, why do you suspect distortions? Vignetting can occur, best is to try the ring in the shop, together with whatever filter you want to put in front. Sounds as if you want to reuse your 77mm CPL.
    Will look a bit like a trumpet, though. But who cares if the results are good
    EOS

52 mm size filters are not very expensive, unless you have many filters in 77mm and want save cost on buying same set of filter in52mm, else just buy the 52mm filter you need.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Many Thanks for the all your advice. Trying to save costs and also don't want to carry like 5 filters for different lenses, so probably get really good 82 mm filters and then step up everything else unless IQ is affected

I routinely convert my travelling lenses to a standard 77mm for ease of using polarisers / filters during trips, and cap them off with 77mm caps ( of course ). The smallest I tried to step up from was 67mm.

For wider lenses do check if the ring will result in mechanical vignetting. Hoods may not fit but I am willing to live with that.

Ryan