Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: earphone for walkman

Default earphone for walkman

Can anyone recommend me a good earphone for my aiwa walkman? It is for my girlfriend. I prefer the Sony brand, but not sure if the street style one is good (might not be suitable for girl). I plan to get the ordinary earphone, but not sure which model is good. Can you please recommend? How much is the price roughly and where to buy?

Thanks very much!
    DR KOH KHO KING

you want the best?

get Sony E-888

i used mine for 6 years and it is still strong and still the best ear phone u can get

i got it at $90+ last time...now the price is abt $80+/-

i do agree that it is quite expensive for a ear phone, but if u have tried it, u willl never want to use other ear phone anymore

this E-888 is made from special material that is NOT found in other Sony earphone models....and the results : much clearer and powerful bass...i am not very good at descriping how good it sounds like...but once u tried it and u will understand
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Hi Kamwai,
    Where to get this earphone? Is Sim Lim Square a good place to try? Is there any other shop near City Hall MRT station? Is it recommended to buy from Sony shop or other electronic shop?

Since it is for my gf, so I don't mind spending more...

Thanks.
    DR KOH KHO KING

sim lim and sony store also have...of cos simlim is cheaper but remember to bargain too

but i dun think the salesman will let u open it up and try...

I will check the web for a pic of it now. Is it a Fontopia model?

Any other suggestion?
    DR KOH KHO KING

Hi Kamwai,
    SP and LP, which one should I choose? My aiwa already has a controller and the earphone is going to plug directly to the controller. SP and LP, same price? I heard LP has good casing, but not SP.

Thanks.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Walkman siah....cassettes are so cool.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

MDR-EX70

I bought mine in Tokyo Narita airport for around S$70. I believe I saw it in SLS once.

These are really like ear plugs, but the sound is very good. Because of the ear-plug like design, it cuts a lot of ambient noise, which means you do not have to turn up the volume too hight to hear clearly. I guess that is desirable to maintain the health of your ears.

I use them whenever I fly, and I like the sound quality better than the noise reduction type headphones provided by the airlines.

Did a quick search of the model numer on altavista.com, only manage to fine some foreign web page but with the picture of the headphones. SHould at least give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www2.infor.ru/cgi-bin/main.fr.../ipg33023.html

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by Kho King
    Hi Kamwai,
    SP and LP, which one should I choose? My aiwa already has a controller and the earphone is going to plug directly to the controller. SP and LP, same price? I heard LP has good casing, but not SP.

Thanks.
    i remember SP and LP use different plug...

one uses normal mini jack (gold colour) but the other one is for some Sony's remote control only (silver one)

since u using Awia..definitely cannot use the silver one.

btw, the ear phone itself is a bit larger than normal, so they may not fit her ear nicely and will drop off easily or u will hear ambient noise that leak in becos of this...for me, i use a sponge to make the earphone fit in my ear better....

Originally posted by roygoh
    MDR-EX70

I bought mine in Tokyo Narita airport for around S$70. I believe I saw it in SLS once.

These are really like ear plugs, but the sound is very good. Because of the ear-plug like design, it cuts a lot of ambient noise, which means you do not have to turn up the volume too hight to hear clearly. I guess that is desirable to maintain the health of your ears.

I use them whenever I fly, and I like the sound quality better than the noise reduction type headphones provided by the airlines.

Did a quick search of the model numer on altavista.com, only manage to fine some foreign web page but with the picture of the headphones. SHould at least give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www2.infor.ru/cgi-bin/main.fr.../ipg33023.html

- Roy
    how long did yours last my one only last for 6 months before the wire gave way. i think the wire they use hard rubber so after a few bending the thing break liao

Originally posted by nicholas1986

how long did yours last my one only last for 6 months before the wire gave way. i think the wire they use hard rubber so after a few bending the thing break liao
    6 mths only? my Sony E888 after 6 years of abusive use...it still working well

last time i found a review of this E888 vs MDR-EX70

there got talk abt their differences

Quote from Sony website

Sony's MDR-E888LP FontopiaŽEar-Bud Stereo Headphones features....

Bio-cellulose Diaphragms providing a wide range of natural sound (frequency response from 8 to 27,000 Hz).

Linear-Crystal Oxygen-Free Copper (LC-OFC) Class 1 Cord (uses high-tech copper crystals of exceptional purity for outstanding signal transmission, minimum noise

High-Power Neodymium Magnet (for maximum energy and minimum size; Neodymium packs more magnetic energy per ounce than conventional Ferrite, Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets; help produce ample sound output-106 dB sensitivity)

The Super-Light In-The-Ear Design is also featured with Thin Housing and Flexible Ducts for a comfortable fit.

16 mm Diameter Driver delivers deeper bass, extended treble and higher fidelity, yet remains small enough to fit inside your ear (However it is too big for Asian's ear)

From the reviews I read just now, 70 is good in base (rock) but 888 is better in middle and high range (classical/pop). I think my gf is going to prefer 888 more, she loves classical music and oldies, but definitely not the price of 888.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Default I have it too...

E888s are truly the best of the best (of the earbuds within the S$200 range)...

Can't beat them.
    I'm using the LP version.. And I'm getting pissed with the long long length of the wire when I connect it to my discman remote.

Originally posted by Kho King
    From the reviews I read just now, 70 is good in base (rock)
    hmm...if u compare the frequency response, 888 is more capable for base (low frequency)

I also read that 888 need to power/bang for a few days or weeks to "break in", so meaning the older 888 you all are using now is actually better than those in shops!
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by kamwai

hmm...if u compare the frequency response, 888 is more capable for base (low frequency)
    Yes, the specs are argumentably better, but the ex70s can produce more bass.

I did a A/B test with the 888s and teh ex70s.
    the ex70s are good if you need some sort of sound isolation, but the 888s are really crystal clear..

And yes, you need to break them in.
    When I just popped them out from the box, they could'nt be even compared to my stock Panasonics.
    I broke them in over time, and these babies really shine.

PS: Use a variety of discs for breaking in:
    Some of the CDs I used: All Saints, XO reference recordings burn-in disc, chesky records - the ultimate demo disc...and many more.

Originally posted by nicholas1986

I have mine for ~2 years already, still working fine. I usually coil the cable loosely and store it in a small leather pouch.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

I think he was talking about the ex70s..
    The wires are quite in-flexible though

erm.. did u guys try senns MX-400?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast