Thread: frolic kid - hannah

Default frolic kid - hannah

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    - Composition and orientation (cropped vertically)
    - selective coloring

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - capture kid's natural and playful act.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - she was carried by her nanny and i was following them. i thought it would be the nice timing to get a shot because she was frolicking with me

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -not so sharp though due to subject and phototaker were moving. i need input when to use selective coloring because i think a lot will disagree on SC of the subject
    Last edited by zaren; 16th March 2012 at 01:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: frolic kid - hannah

Quote Originally Posted by sinlikenkuri View Post
    1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    - Composition and orientation (cropped vertically)
    - selective coloring

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - capture kid's natural and playful act.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - she was carried by her nanny and i was following them. i thought it would be the nice timing to get a shot because she was frolicking with me

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -not so sharp though due to subject and phototaker were moving. i need input when to use selective coloring because i think a lot will disagree on SC of the subject
    The moment is good. But your execution is lacking.

First off, your picture is soft. Looks like either the focus is off, or you crop too much off the original image. It does not look like motion blur too much.. if subject is moving, then you should have opted for a faster shutter speed (by upping the ISO).

Also selective coloring does not work well. It may be trendy for a short while, but I think that time has past.

In terms of composition, it is clear the girl is held by an adult. It would be better if you can include that person in the picture because in this case, I find the cut off to be too abrupt.

thank you for pointing out the tight cropping and selective coloring. the photo's EXIF f/1.4 1/320s and ISO100. i am attaching the original photo with lesser cropping, please let me know what sort of post processing would help to improve it.

Last edited by sinlikenkuri; 20th March 2012 at 12:54 PM.

I opine that the original photo is much better, the lady carrying the kid adds important context
    Her inclusion says everything your description was trying to
    Perhaps a tad wider may work better?
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

The original photo is much better in terms of composition, but in terms of quality, it is soft for me.
    The look of the child looks horrible for me, because the eyes are all filled with black (shadow) .
    Fill in flash is a basic tool to expose or at least lighten the eyes.
    Also learn how to use the Selective Focusing, so that you can lock your focus on what you want to emphasize on your photo.
    For this picture, I think the eyes of the child shoul be the main focus.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Hope it will help.

Kids are fast moving and can't keep still. So, I'd usually shoot at f2.5-2.8 for better results, and not at largest aperture of f1.4. Second, I usually turn on AI Focus/Servo and aim the AF cross hair on the eyes (check manual how to do this for your camera model). Third, "kiasu" rules - shoot in salvo and a few will sure turn out fine. Cheers!
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    I opine that the original photo is much better, the lady carrying the kid adds important context
    Her inclusion says everything your description was trying to
    Perhaps a tad wider may work better?
    yeah. after taking a second look, perhaps comparing the two photos, i also opt for the photo with wider cropping. i may just have thought if i could eliminate distracting objects by a tight cropping done on the first photo. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Romel888 View Post
    The original photo is much better in terms of composition, but in terms of quality, it is soft for me.
    The look of the child looks horrible for me, because the eyes are all filled with black (shadow) .
    Fill in flash is a basic tool to expose or at least lighten the eyes.
    Also learn how to use the Selective Focusing, so that you can lock your focus on what you want to emphasize on your photo.
    For this picture, I think the eyes of the child shoul be the main focus.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Hope it will help.
    i appreciate your honest critique especially on the shadowed eyes. for this scenario, is it enough to use the built-in flash of my camera to lighten up those dark areas on the subject's face?it's the only flash i have at this moment

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Kids are fast moving and can't keep still. So, I'd usually shoot at f2.5-2.8 for better results, and not at largest aperture of f1.4. Second, I usually turn on AI Focus/Servo and aim the AF cross hair on the eyes (check manual how to do this for your camera model). Third, "kiasu" rules - shoot in salvo and a few will sure turn out fine. Cheers!
    first point well taken: thanks. actually this is a question on my mind for quite some time wheather i should be shooting at f1.4 or higher values for a shot like this.

second point: on my nikon D5100, there is the AF-S(single servo AF) and AF-C(continouos-servo AF) on the Focus Mode.I should set it to AF-C right? how about the AF-Area mode, should i set it to Single-point AF or Auto-area AF?

third point: this is one thing i missed. i definitely want to try these 3 tips. thank you very much

i think b&w works well for this image.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    i think b&w works well for this image.
    i think this B&W looks better than selective coloring or the original colored photo. thank you for all the inputs.

Hi there, would you tell me how u done the selective color for ur photos?
    Image tells a million of words.

there's a sc feature in the d5100.
    but the picture above i used photoshop