Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

Default Re: Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Winning in photography competitions doesn't always mean you're good. It means you've got the shot that the organizer of the competition wants. In most competitions, the organizers are not looking for the best photos in terms of technical ability, composition, etc. They are looking for a way to get cheap photos to use, and they will state that they reserve all the rights to all the photos that get submitted and can use them without permission from the photographer (in some cases where they are not so greedy, they only reserve the rights of the winning photos, and if they are greedy, use the photos without crediting the photographer).

So, if you don't win competitions, it doesn't mean you're not good.
    Ya i agree with brapodam. It is important to read terms and conditions of the competition carefully.

Also, cheap lens doesn't mean that the lens is inferior. I had seen stunning photos taken by photographers with those cheapo lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by snowc

Ya i agree with brapodam. It is important to read terms and conditions of the competition carefully.

Also, cheap lens doesn't mean that the lens is inferior. I had seen stunning photos taken by photographers with those cheapo lenses.
    Of coz. I ever got shortlisted for exhibition for my photo and I was just using kit lens 18-55mm.

Who says kit lens are useless?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam

Winning in photography competitions doesn't always mean you're good. It means you've got the shot that the organizer of the competition wants. In most competitions, the organizers are not looking for the best photos in terms of technical ability, composition, etc. They are looking for a way to get cheap photos to use, and they will state that they reserve all the rights to all the photos that get submitted and can use them without permission from the photographer (in some cases where they are not so greedy, they only reserve the rights of the winning photos, and if they are greedy, use the photos without crediting the photographer).

So, if you don't win competitions, it doesn't mean you're not good.
    Well, competition is a way to keep a focus on what you are shooting. Without a focus, u could be just shooting without a purpose and your shots are all over the place. And many ppl will give up shooting because there is no motivation to shoot.

Competitions force you to focus on certain things and u learn from photo compositions, themes and the "why" you are taking pictures

Compositions makes the learning curve shorter than normal.

Default Re: Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Well, competition is a way to keep a focus on what you are shooting. Without a focus, u could be just shooting without a purpose and your shots are all over the place. And many ppl will give up shooting because there is no motivation to shoot.

Competitions force you to focus on certain things and u learn from photo compositions, themes and the "why" you are taking pictures

Compositions makes the learning curve shorter than normal.
    Some people shoot better photos when they force themselves to think according to the theme, but for me, I tend to shoot much worse pictures when focusing on a specific theme. I feel it stifles my creativity and narrows my vision. But perhaps that's just me.

Shooting without a theme, however, makes you think of all the possible ways and angles you can shoot a certain subject/location.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345