Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

Well...stop procrastinating & get your camera first...You nid to start somewhere...The practical side of photography is more important than the theory aspect...IMHO.Cheers!

Default Re: Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

If u think P&S doesn't restrict your creativity, then the P&S is above you, stick to it and practice more, till a point whereby your mind tells you there's more you need to get it out of the photo or some ideas, till you find your kit lens is restricting your creativity, you need a faster lens or something to achieve something, then your skill has grown and it's time to evolve. If it stops at some point oh well... not everyone are gifted haha jk
    I shoot pocket weight, no one can beat in terms of weight because I use a humble iphone 3gs 2mpixel straight out of cam lol... (SEE BELOW, unedited)
    Last edited by dennisc; 15th March 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Bulky or not ..depends on individual. So buy the 1 that you will be willing and happy to carry around with. Some people are ok with PNS. Some finds DSLR too big. Therefore pick the mirrorless etc etc. There are also some that thinks the more the better thus very big and bulky bags. So it really depends..Infact if you are just saying portable and conveniences nothing beats a camera phone.

Setting up is usually not long. Its the waiting time that is long. For eg. waiting for the right moment, waiting for the best light etc etc..
    So if you're just shoot and go kind of person. You dont have to worry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiee View Post
    Hi ive noticed that many of the DSLR users carry bulky camera bags, and have to spend Long hours removing and setting up the camera before a photo shoot. Currently there are many other compact cameras which have almost instant start up and are super portable.

As you all know im Quite new to this aspect of photography. so i would like experienced users of DSLRs to give their openions?

thank you.
    Just get a Leica M9 body with a couple of prime lenses. You will not have a weight problems, light in use and produce great images.... and attract a lot of envy...

What is currently the most portable DSLR produced now?
    and what is the Pros and Cons other than the size when compared to other full sized DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by georgiee
    and what is the Pros and Cons other than the size when compared to other full sized DSLR
    I'm sure a smart person like you would have also done your own research. Why don't you tell us which you feel is good, the pros and cons, and we can tell you if you've missed out any other important points.

Read Here.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Probably the Sony A35.

Pros and cons: Read the reviews, try for yourself, etc etc etc.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Probably the Sony A35.
    Technically A35 is not a DSLR, it is a DSLT.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiee
    The most portable interchangeable lens system is the mirrorless system - NEX, G-Series, GH-series, GX1, PEN series, OMD, K-01, Nikon's 1 series, Pentax Q, etc etc. All of them are small and easy to carry around. And if you want more DSLR lookalike interchangeable lens system would be the Panasonic G-series and the Sony's SLT cameras such as the A35, A55, A65, A77.

And - TS, what do you mean by full size DSLR? Entry level DSLR are smaller than semi-pro DSLR, and many of the semi pro DSLR are smaller than FF DSLR... while there are also larger DSLR like Nikon's D3 and Canon's 1D (note that Canon's 1D DSLR are not FF, they are APS-H cropped sensor camera, except for the 1DX). My point is, DSLR is DSLR, there are no such thing as full size DSLR, or semi-sized DSLR.
    Last edited by rhino123; 16th March 2012 at 10:35 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Technically A35 is not a DSLR, it is a DSLT.
    Well yes, but in terms of design and size it's a DSLR. Just the mirror technology is different.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    My point is, DSLR is DSLR, there are no such thing as full size DSLR, or semi-sized DSLR.
    Fully agree. I think the TS is missing some basic, fundamental knowledge before he/she can understand enough to make a decision.
    Alpha

either that or this stinks of a troll thread

Well yes, but in terms of design and size it's a DSLR. Just the mirror technology is different.

Fully agree. I think the TS is missing some basic, fundamental knowledge before he/she can understand enough to make a decision.
    DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex . If the mirror technology is different then it should not be classified as a DSLR right ?
    Just like a classifying a SSD inside a portable HD casing as your conventional portable hard disk . Same shape , same looks , almost the same weight and also store data .
    But then that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia View Post
    DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex . If the mirror technology is different then it should not be classified as a DSLR right ?
    Hence the DSLT.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia View Post
    Just like a classifying a SSD inside a portable HD casing as your conventional portable hard disk . Same shape , same looks , almost the same weight and also store data .
    But then that's just me
    To most people, it's still a "portable HDD". That's why, though the externals may be similar, the electronics, technology and features are different.
    Alpha

According to some forumers, the canon G10 although not A DSLR but have similar capabilities, and in this context is compact as well.
    What do you all think

According to some forumers, the canon G10 although not A DSLR but have similar capabilities, and in this context is compact as well.
    What do you all think
    It is a good camera, however Canon had moved on... there is G12 and the new G1x (which I believe I have mentioned before, either in this thread or another of yours).

However... there are other compact out there that is both cheaper and had very good capability too.

Olympus xz-1, canon s100, panasonic LX5, Nikon P5100, etc, etc.

Actually many PnS cameras had very good capability too and I believe this camera does not go pass the S$500 mark (not too sure because I got it free from buying an insurance plan).

(my amateur panning shot)

The abovementioned are all taken with my Sony WX7.
    Last edited by rhino123; 16th March 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

What do you all think
    What we think does not matter, it's what YOU think that matters.

FYI, a G10 will never come close to a DSLR in low light/high ISO situations. Also, you cannot change the lens if you want to.
    Alpha

TS's spoonfed syndrome really too serious liao...

Despite your 2 threads, I already suggested the G10 to you with sample photos included, you are not asking how we think, you just wish us to give you answers without doing any research yourself...

We dont mind giving you answers but your questions lead to futher questions where the answers are all written all over the internet We spend time to answer your questions out of goodwill but we are not paid consultants here, why should we spend time answering to you when you dont even take effort to understand more on your part?

If you have googled the "advantage G10 over DSLR", you could have found answers easily with more extensive answers we are providing.

GOOGLE "advantage Canon G10 over DSLR"

Seriously, I really doubt your interest in photography..

What do you all think
    Last edited by Sam-Gor; 16th March 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Gor View Post
    TS's spoonfed syndrome really too serious liao...

Despite your 2 threads, I already suggested the G10 to you with sample photos included, you are not asking how we think, you just wish us to give you answers without doing any research yourself...

We dont mind giving you answers but your questions lead to futher questions where the answers are all written all over the internet We spend time to answer your questions out of goodwill but we are not paid consultants here, why should we spend time answering to you when you dont even take effort to understand more on your part?

If you have googled the "advantage G10 over DSLR", you could have found answers easily with more extensive answers we are providing.

GOOGLE "advantage Canon G10 over DSLR"

Seriously, I really doubt your interest in photography..
    me too. TS is more interested in getting the best camera that can capture good photos in Auto-mode. he's not interested in learning about photography.

rather than ask "how do i achieve that shot?", he's asking "what camera is the cheapest, lightest, hassle-free" blah blah blah.

his questions are not straight to the point and he definitely is too fickle to stay on one camera.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    me too. TS is more interested in getting the best camera that can capture good photos in Auto-mode. he's not interested in learning about photography.

rather than ask "how do i achieve that shot?", he's asking "what camera is the cheapest, lightest, hassle-free" blah blah blah.

his questions are not straight to the point and he definitely is too fickle to stay on one camera.
    Unless he's a Digital Life reporter/writer in disguise. His questions are at about the right level for their "standard".
    Alpha

Unless he's a Digital Life reporter/writer in disguise. His questions are at about the right level for their "standard".
    True, either that or I smell a troll.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast