Thread: Monitor calibration using Spyder3 query

Default Monitor calibration using Spyder3 query

Hi guys,

just calibrated my LED laptop monitor using Spyder3 and notice a warm hue overall.

Dumb question comes
    1. The test print looks closer to screen color
    2. I re-edited a old photo to the tone I like.
    3. However on a uncalibrated screen,eg another laptop, iphone the color looks too cool.

Does anyone else have this problem??
    A99/77, Sig DG2 1224, Sig 35f1.4, SAL2470Z, SAL50F14Z, Tam 90F2.8Macro, Min 70210 F4, RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by javabeans
    Hi guys,

just calibrated my LED laptop monitor using Spyder3 and notice a warm hue overall.

Dumb question comes
    3. However on a uncalibrated screen,eg another laptop, iphone the color looks too cool.

Different gamma for different screen. How can u compare calibrated n uncalibrated screens.

Default Re: Monitor calibration using Spyder3 query

Coming from another perspective. The colors on the calibrated screen was tuned to my desired tone. Hence seeing a different tone on a uncal screen is somewhat uncomfortable
    A99/77, Sig DG2 1224, Sig 35f1.4, SAL2470Z, SAL50F14Z, Tam 90F2.8Macro, Min 70210 F4, RX100M3

There's no way to make all screens display the same colors
    Different screens have different panels
    Ambient light effects as well
    even for 2 identical calibrated monitors (unless those top of the end models, like HP Dreamcolor, Eizo etc.), side by side, the color might still be abit off.

Quote Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
    Hi guys,

Dumb question comes

if what you print and what you see on the profiled monitor are close, then good for you... other screens that are not profiled, of course colour, brightness and contrast cannot guarantee to be correct, so don't worry about it

New issue came up. Printed 2 similar sets of photo. One with calibration on the other off. Printed at fuji shop and what I see is wat I get. Meaning I prefer my uncal prints cos its was I wanted. Does it mean commercial print house not calibrated?

My understanding is calibration is hvg a common standard of colors. Eg see c magenta on screen print out its magenta. So either my calibration is faulty or printer is not calibrated.

Hi guys,

Dumb question comes

Good luck... that's why I use x-rite

1. LED laptop is not a pro-display as it does not display the FULL gamut colors when calibrating. That is why for x-rite it asked u whether calibrating laptop or LCD monitor

2. If u are serious in color managmenet, go for a LCD monitor (not LED) that can get you near Adobe 1998 gamut. Dell UltraSharp™ U2410 24"W Monitor

Then what you shoot is what you get on display if your LCD had been correctly calibrated

3. In x-rite there is a 7000K temp - this will make your white REAL white on screen

Coming from another perspective. The colors on the calibrated screen was tuned to my desired tone. Hence seeing a different tone on a uncal screen is somewhat uncomfortable
    If your image looks close to what you edited when displayed on a RETINA iphone or iPAD - this is a rough gauge your monitor had been correctly calibrated

Quote Originally Posted by javabeans
    New issue came up. Printed 2 similar sets of photo. One with calibration on the other off. Printed at fuji shop and what I see is wat I get. Meaning I prefer my uncal prints cos its was I wanted. Does it mean commercial print house not calibrated?

My understanding is calibration is hvg a common standard of colors. Eg see c magenta on screen print out its magenta. So either my calibration is faulty or printer is not calibrated.
    Printing is not as easy as just calibrating your monitor. Calibrating your monitor only helps in editing and if you are going to view your photographs only using the monitor. It is just the first step to getting a color managed workflow.

You still have to calibrate your printer as well to the paper you are going to print on. Each paper has its own color gamut. Another option is to download the free ICC profile for the paper you are going to use on your paper manufacturer's website though they only support professional series printers.

This is a whole new different experience then just capturing and posting to online websites. Printing your own photographs is a hassle though it's totally worth it. You will be able see your photographs side by side printed out which is easier to compare than on your monitor.

This is just an overview into getting your photographs printed proffessionally. Google up about a color managed workflow and you can learn way more about it.
    Last edited by tonyep; 10th April 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DM101

If your image looks close to what you edited when displayed on a RETINA iphone or iPAD - this is a rough gauge your monitor had been correctly calibrated
    Are you sure? iPhone and iPad screens are known for its inconsistency with some having a cool tone and some being warm.

Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
    1. LED laptop is not a pro-display as it does not display the FULL gamut colors when calibrating. That is why for x-rite it asked u whether calibrating laptop or LCD monitor
    it's not the LED that's the problem, the problem is that many of the supposedly "white" LEDs used for screens are usually blue LEDs that have been coloured yellow to produce white light... and that's why they have dubious colour... there are white LEDs but they are quite expensive supposedly... and actually, really good LCD screens have been known to use LEDs for backlight illumination, using red, green, and blue LEDs to produce white light in combination, and because of the three coloured LEDs used, they may actually allow the tuning of the colour temperature of the backlight, something not really possible with fluorescent tube backlights...

3. In x-rite there is a 7000K temp - this will make your white REAL white on screen
    the current consensus more or less is to use 6500K... REAL white is a relative opinion anyways...

wouldn't really count on that... iOS is not colour managed, and there have been brought up colour consistency issues between and amongst iPhone/Pad screens...