Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Any good book on how to be a good photographer?

  1. #1

    Default Any good book on how to be a good photographer?

    Hi All,

    I am looking for a good book teaching ppl how to take a nice shot. If you have read any good book, could you please recommend me?
    I need to know:

    -title
    -author
    -bookshop (if any)

    Thanks in advance,

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brifusg
    Hi All,

    I am looking for a good book teaching ppl how to take a nice shot. If you have read any good book, could you please recommend me?
    I need to know:

    -title
    -author
    -bookshop (if any)

    Thanks in advance,
    There will not be just A good book, you need to READ a lot of books, till today, I'm still keep on searching and reading.

    How about start with your camera manual first?

    And in our National Library, you may find many useful books on various subjects, and it is free to borrow.

    Hope this help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    and always balance information with practice ... information becomes knowledge after practising and real time experience

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    and always balance information with practice ... information becomes knowledge after practising and real time experience
    Yes, yes,

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    and always balance information with practice ... information becomes knowledge after practising and real time experience
    True. I'm also practising now.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    There will not be just A good book, you need to READ a lot of books, till today, I'm still keep on searching and reading.

    How about start with your camera manual first?

    And in our National Library, you may find many useful books on various subjects, and it is free to borrow.

    Hope this help.
    Hi,

    The camera manual I have read already, it is about how to use the camera actually, but when and how to apply all technique are what I really want to know.

    I know to be an expert, ppl have to read a lot and practise a lot also, however, can anyone name few good books to start with? I believe you should have some good title on your mind.
    Thanks a lot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brifusg
    Hi,

    The camera manual I have read already, it is about how to use the camera actually, but when and how to apply all technique are what I really want to know.

    I know to be an expert, ppl have to read a lot and practise a lot also, however, can anyone name few good books to start with? I believe you should have some good title on your mind.
    Thanks a lot.
    I recommend National Geographic's 'Field Guide to taking Great Photographs' or something like that. A good book to start with as it covers the basics of photography. You'll find it definitely at Kinokuniya.

    Regards,
    Nick
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    In photography, the are many specialty in different areas, if you looking for general photography, try this http://www.photosecrets.com/bookstore.basic.html, many books list here may suitable for you.

    And you may find this book John Hedgecoe's Photography Basics
    by John Hedgecoe, in our National Library. It covers various kinds of subject.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    maybe can enrol in one of the photography courses offered here. Seems to be many running all the time.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brifusg
    Hi,

    I know to be an expert, ppl have to read a lot and practise a lot also, however, can anyone name few good books to start with? I believe you should have some good title on your mind.
    Thanks a lot.
    "Learn to see creatively" by Bryan Peterson

    "How to photograph your life" by Nick Kelsh

  11. #11

    Default

    A good photograph is made by a good photographer.

    A good photograph is not made by following a set of rules as seen in any book. The guidelines as suggested in books are mostly guidelines on "techniques'. These are important and is the baisis of technical competence.

    But you will have to a good photographer to make good photos. This takes time and maturity in the photographic vision.

    I hope this makes sense to you.

    To help you along the way, I strongly suggest you read and re-read and re-read and re-read this book:

    "ON BEING A PHOTOGRAPHER" by David Hurn and Bill Jay.

  12. #12
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Photography like any craft is essentially the projection and interpretation of one's consciousness and character. Any book on any subject could enhances one's understanding of the self and the world and benefit photography. Don restrict yourself to just photography books, read widely, visit the galleries, live life and your photography will improve. The public library is a good start...

    Student mentioned David Hurn's classic.. a most noteworthy title that unfortunately few know and even fewer read.

  13. #13

    Default National Geographic Photography Field Guide : Secrets to Making Great Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    I recommend National Geographic's 'Field Guide to taking Great Photographs' or something like that. A good book to start with as it covers the basics of photography. You'll find it definitely at Kinokuniya.

    Regards,
    Nick
    yup, good book. come's with gray card (innner cover) also.

    https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/gue...25676X&AREA=04

  14. #14

    Default

    I really appreciate your help, guys.

  15. #15

    Default

    hello. u should really just pop by the library and immerse urself with the range of the photographing books they offer there.

    pick and borrow what catches ur eye and do intensive reading and experimentation of ur cam.

    its all abt reading and reading and reading at the same time playing ard with ur camera. trail and error.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •