Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K5 focusing inaccuracy in low-morderately low artificial light

Default Re: K5 focusing inaccuracy in low-morderately low artificial light

Quote Originally Posted by neon2 View Post
    Hahaha... This is very normal, we boys are visual animals, so naturally we like to see pretty and beautiful ladies. If you go check out the Portraits section, you will notice photos of beautiful woman and lingerie will generate more response from fellow photographers.
    When I clicked on the link...this is what I got.

1 Recent activity
    2 Photos and Videos from contacts
    3 Comments you've made

4 Upload a photo or video
    5 Your photostream

6 Recent Uploads
    7 Explore recent uploads
    8 Your contacts
    Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    When I clicked on the link...this is what I got.
    1 Recent activity
    2 Photos and Videos from contacts
    3 Comments you've made

4 Upload a photo or video
    5 Your photostream

6 Recent Uploads
    7 Explore recent uploads
    8 Your contacts
    Go to photo stream or go Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing and search by people type HG-k
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 15th March 2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Pentax K5 (black) - Tamron 17-50 f2.8/Pentax DAL 55-300/Pentax SMC M 50mm f.14

hi TS,
    i just checked my k5 w the DA35 f2.4 and shoot at 1/25 iso800 under a 40W fluorescent light the AF seems good.
    if your camera af OOF most of the time under a "normal" indoor lighting. then suggest you it send for checking.
    As some other bro mention earlier in this thread, shooting 1/25 at wide open indoors have some weakness and constraint. Some lens at wide open the DOF is really thin, one small sudden movement forward or backwards will render the picture OOF.

Best speed to shoot is still 1/60 or faster. if you worried if you shoot 1/60 your ev is too dark, you can always pp ++ev later.
    k5 ISO is good so bump it up and PP the noise away later.

here is an example
    ISO 3200 on my kr

same picture pp to clean up the noise

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    ? The K-5 and K-01 don't even have the same AF system. CDAF has the potential to be more reliable depending on the implementation but PDAF is still faster.
    thanks for pointing that out.
    Play ALPHAMAZE(the ULTIMATE word game) - Download from Apple AppStore, or Google Play : Alphamaze

Quote Originally Posted by poseur View Post
    hi TS,
    i just checked my k5 w the DA35 f2.4 and shoot at 1/25 iso800 under a 40W fluorescent light the AF seems good.
    if your camera af OOF most of the time under a "normal" indoor lighting. then suggest you it send for checking.
    As some other bro mention earlier in this thread, shooting 1/25 at wide open indoors have some weakness and constraint. Some lens at wide open the DOF is really thin, one small sudden movement forward or backwards will render the picture OOF.

Best speed to shoot is still 1/60 or faster. if you worried if you shoot 1/60 your ev is too dark, you can always pp ++ev later.
    k5 ISO is good so bump it up and PP the noise away later.

here is an example
    ISO 3200 on my kr

same picture pp to clean up the noise
    Hi thanks for clarifying with me. Have you seen my pictures on Flickr yet? I need to test it out more often again...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Hi! Thanks for input. How do you know which values to set for the AF fine tune? It's very frustrating
    trial and error.. if you have front focus make it more negative. hopefully it will be enough. the alternative is to switch to LV mode and use CDAF which will get you perfect focus in low light.

this was one of my major frustrations with the k-5, apart from the mirror over-run problem (camera back at Pentax for repair, 2nd time already). like neon2 said, lamborghini gallardo but transmission got problem.. the high ISO let me shoot in low light but then the AF system consistently front focuses - what's the point then? it's especially disappointing when one improvement of safox IX was apparently to use WB info to tweak the AF, but in fact it makes the problem even worse! this problem is common and quite well-documented. have a quick read at this if you haven't come across it before: Falk Lumo: LumoLabs: Pentax K-5 low light focus

apparently to date there has not been a proper fix for this low-light tungsten AF front focus problem... completely unacceptable, at least for my photography

in comparison, here is what a proper AF system from a competitor's camera will consistently achieve shot after shot after shot.. don't want to go into too much detail discussing this, but just pointing out that this is a really unacceptable problem. pentax making users suck thumb and live with it only makes them (subconsciously?) second-guess their equipment in use

ISO 6400, 1/60, f1.4

ISO 800, 1/30, f1.4
    Last edited by darrrrrrrrrr; 16th March 2012 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    in comparison, here is what a proper AF system from a competitor's camera will consistently achieve shot after shot after shot.. don't want to go into too much detail discussing this, but just pointing out that this is a really unacceptable problem. pentax making users suck thumb and live with it only makes them (subconsciously?) second-guess their equipment in use
    If that's from a Nikon D3 .. maybe you want to highlight that part of the detail. After all, you pay that much more..

The D7K employing the same sensor as the K5 also has similar focusing issues: Flickr: Discussing That D7000 focus issue... in Nikon - D7000 Users
    Last edited by edutilos-; 16th March 2012 at 08:37 AM.

To be honest I love Pentax and I kinda like the fact that I'm using a brand which is not common (I don't like following crowds). But because of this issue I tot of switching brands.... I have to get that thought out of my head... =/

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-
    If that's from a Nikon D3 .. maybe you want to highlight that part of the detail. After all, you pay that much more..

The D7K employing the same sensor as the K5 also has similar focusing issues: Flickr: Discussing That D7000 focus issue... in Nikon - D7000 Users
    PDAF doesn't have anything to do with the sensor. Even if you rip out the sensor it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

Well that camera uses roughly the same AF system as D300 which isn't too far off in price.. so I guess the comparison can still sort of be made perhaps I shoot with a D300 (photo club's rental camera) but I don't shoot it in the same low-light conditions as the K-5 since the sensor on that camera is around the K20D level. So I guess both cameras don't work in low-light haha. But the K-5 is capable of so much more if not for the AF problems, especially this low-light one.

TL;DR that Flickr page, but if the D7000 also has the exact same problem I think it should be due to coincidence or shoddy work from both manufacturers, since I don't think the awesome K-5/D7000 sensor is to blame for focusing problems. In fact the LV CDAF on the K-5 which actually does use the image sensor works really well and nails the focus when the PDAF goes haywire. Although I'd use LV more if not for the super long wait time between shots as the camera clears the buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    PDAF doesn't have anything to do with the sensor. Even if you rip out the sensor it will work.
    I did not mean to say that it has anything to do with the sensor, just saying that other Nikon cameras also have such problems...?

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    Well that camera uses roughly the same AF system as D300 which isn't too far off in price.. so I guess the comparison can still sort of be made perhaps I shoot with a D300 (photo club's rental camera) but I don't shoot it in the same low-light conditions as the K-5 since the sensor on that camera is around the K20D level. So I guess both cameras don't work in low-light haha. But the K-5 is capable of so much more if not for the AF problems, especially this low-light one.
    I don't know, I have never used a D3 or D300 so can't comment. Did you try using the K5 in similar lighting scenario as above? Sometimes I do wonder if it's a common problem to all brands, and not just Pentax - if you do a search for "D3 Focusing Problems" and almost any camera out there you're bound to find at least 10 threads in various forums complaining about low light AF performance and comparing it to another brand, etc.

Of course in the older Pentax cameras the AF was definitely slower and less responsive - from my memory, whatever the K5 misfocuses on, the K20D would probably just have hunted and refused to lock focus.

That said, I guess I might tend to downplay the severity of this problem because A) I don't really shoot that much in low light which requires fast AF, B) my sense is that when the light is that bad, the lighting tends to be flat and horrible as well. I do recall having these K5 focusing problems in one of the 4 Seasons ballrooms at a friend's wedding (very warm lighting, I recall, so I assume that's tungsten, which I mentioned earlier), but didn't encounter any issues in HDB void decks when shooting cats. Of course, outside of the void decks where there's only relatively dimmer lamppost lighting, then it all went to hell, so I just switched to MF.

Wonder if I should borrow my friend's D3 to compare for once, just for kicks.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 16th March 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I don't know, I have never used a D3 or D300 so can't comment. Did you try using the K5 in similar lighting scenario as above? Sometimes I do wonder if it's a common problem to all brands, and not just Pentax - if you do a search for "D3 Focusing Problems" and almost any camera out there you're bound to find at least 10 threads in various forums complaining about low light AF performance and comparing it to another brand, etc.

Of course in the older Pentax cameras the AF was definitely slower and less responsive - from my memory, whatever the K5 misfocuses on, the K20D would probably just have hunted and refused to lock focus.

That said, I guess I might tend to downplay the severity of this problem because A) I don't really shoot that much in low light which requires fast AF, B) my sense is that when the light is that bad, the lighting tends to be flat and horrible as well. I do recall having these K5 focusing problems in one of the 4 Seasons ballrooms at a friend's wedding (very warm lighting, I recall, so I assume that's tungsten, which I mentioned earlier), but didn't encounter any issues in HDB void decks when shooting cats. Of course, outside of the void decks where there's only relatively dimmer lamppost lighting, then it all went to hell, so I just switched to MF.

Wonder if I should borrow my friend's D3 to compare for once, just for kicks.
    Yeah I'm pretty much shooting in the same conditions as before, pushed my K-5 pretty hard and short in really low light situations all the way up to ISO12800. In general, I could only use the high ISOs to freeze action in low-light like this shot below, but once the light dropped any lower and I was trying to go with slower shutter speeds for proper exposure (1/30s or lower) then I'd run into inconsistent focus and then consistent front focus.

I guess the thing that irks me is that Pentax knows about the problem, acknowledged it, and attempted to fix it in a firmware update. In my real world use, the firmware update didn't do a single thing to fix the front focus problem. Since then we haven't heard a single word about this problem.. wonder if Pentax thinks they've fixed it once and for all.

Yeah try it out with the D3 and see how it goes. I'll try it out again when my K-5 gets back somehow, got to borrow a lens from a friend or something.

I acknowledge that its not quite fair to compare the AF of the K-5 with a D700, but the difference between the two is simply leagues apart

f1.4, 1/100s, 2200 iso

f1.4, 1/100s, 4500 iso

f1.4, 1/100s, 6400 iso

All these shots were a breeze to take.

Interestingly enough, I don't have that much a problem in low light. Yeah, granted it is a bit slower to focus but it is quite ok. In fact in a recent event(in a pretty dark hotel ballroom) where I had the 5d and the k5 with me, the k5 actually surprised me with its fast lock on and fairly accurate focus - I had focus accuracy issues with the 5d.

Where I have problem with the k5 is with low contrast and subdued lighting.

But of course I could probably solve the problem and get the nikon d300s but......... I like tough-bodied, small cameras with the sweet limiteds.

haha isn't the 5D a 2005 camera? In the photography world that's ancient!

Sssssshh. Trolling here hahaha
    But my friend had a 5d mk ii as well and we both exchanged for a while, again I didn't feel too big a difference and neither did he, except for the joystick for selecting focus that he is so used too.

His 7d's focus was much better though. But in terms of accuracy and focus lock speed, so far I had problems with low contrast subject and subdued lighting.

Like I said, wanna solve this eaaasssy get a nikon advance camera models but I like my k5.

I'm not entirely convinced the firmware updates really help much with the speed or accuracy but thank god for quick-shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    How can I make sure if my lens and body is properly calibrated and how to fine tune the focus? I know where the options to fine tune is... Saw -7 up to 0 to + 7 at the finetune AF, smth like that but don't know what those numbers meant. (c4 item 26 menu if I nv rmb wrongly)

Thanks again!!
    This is just one example of the many methods out there.
    Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Jeffrey’s Autofocus Test Chart

I also have LensAlign MkII, if u want to use it let me know. one weekend if I am not working we can meet somewhere centralized.

I also have LensAlign MkII, if u want to use it let me know. one weekend if I am not working we can meet somewhere centralized.
    been waiting for many weekend
    Shoot More Learn More

hey sure! i sent you PM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast