Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 134

Thread: Why are the models always ladies?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    I have joined such photo shots before (not with this group) and I've been a model myself when there was a lack.

    You don't have to be staring to be considered as oogling. What I mean is most of the guys on such shoots oogle through their lens. Capturing only pretty smiles but not much in way of substance.

    I won't mind coming along on a shoot someday if the model is worth my time and money.
    Hey riva, I join shots before too, but was never a model ..... too ugly to be one. I do not only take models, but also street, landscapes, kids ..... etc etc ..... am I the oogling kind too?

    Personal view, pretty smiles does not mean good picture, when I take a picture, I make sure I take the inner soul.

    In what way a model is classified as worth your time and money .... for me every model is worth time and money, may it be a man, a woman, a kid, a dog, an animal, a still life, as long as I can get a subject, it is up to me to make it worth my time and money. The end result of whether I capture the beauty within is more important.

    I had been taking pictures for 15 years, but my collection of my own photograph is less then 100, reasons? 99.xxx% of what I took, I threw it away as I felt the essence is not there.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I just joined this community not long ago. been wanting to post up some pix but didn't have the time to sort and down size them for posting.

    back to the point of my original post... I was just lamenting on the lack of variety in the models that I've seen. First there is an obvious lack of male models (for obvious reasons now), and then there is a lack of ethnic models (eg, malays, indians, eurasians, etc). I'm sure there are ladies in these groups that would like to be photographic models as well.

  3. #23

    Default

    hey knight i have no qualms abt your pics .........


    but for these people whom go to car shows and take pics of girls ..........i can count with one hand how many actually took pics of cars........ofcoz im not saying dont take girls pics at all .....but when they post their album and its only featuring closeups of girls and their chest area.......says allot abt their intentions.............

    and for most then they look at portrait shots of first thing they say is "wah beautiful girl".....

  4. #24
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ermm... folks, IMO, it would seem dat riva and, mebbe, pollock too, are out on a trolling session. else, why wld riva or pollock want to post such inflamatory subjects, and in the process starting this current flaming?

    if people want to shoot pretty girls, oogle pretty girls, hey, its his/her perogrative. who are we to judge their motives?

    and yes, i agree with blurblock. if riva is a pro, i would really like to see his/her works.

    cheers, everyone! why not stop the flame war and get on with more impt stuff like shooting better pics?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    Well if that's the case then why not engage beautiful women instead of pretty girls?

    Being a female myself, I would rather work with a beautiful and mature woman than a sweet pretty girl.

    But such is life in a men's world I suppose.
    To some extent, I am with you here. But my photography is a little different from what you see posted here. I am more into "portraits", whatever the term "portraits" mean. My ideal type face which I would like to photograph would be one like Christie Turlington, Monica Bellucci, and locally, Christine Chan and Glenda Chong (newscasters). Also the many Indonesian ladies I see ever so often. But I cannot afford the USD $20,000.00 price tag for Turlington and Bellucci. And I do not know how to get Christine and Glenda to be my sitters. So what shall I do?

    And oh, I would love to photograph men too! Men with faces like Connery, and the "older" Richard Gere. I have been looking for a good male face to photograph. Believe me, it is not easy. I met a 57 year old bloke who just migth fit the bill. Well, hope I can photograph him one day!

    The sweet faces that we see here will mature into beautiful ladies. But the potential is there. And the skin better too! So there you are, the young faces, with all the potential, but do we the photograhers have what it take to make meaningful images? Perhaps it is not the "sweet young things" that you object to? Perhaps it is the type of images you see posted here?

    Would you like to model for me?

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Let me clarify, I am commenting on human models, not other subject matter.

    I agree that saying is easy but actually organising something is another matter. That's why I decided to raise this question in the hope of starting someone on looking out for different human models.

    Gentlemen, I'm not here to start an argument.

    It was just an honest observation.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    I just joined this community not long ago. been wanting to post up some pix but didn't have the time to sort and down size them for posting.

    back to the point of my original post... I was just lamenting on the lack of variety in the models that I've seen. First there is an obvious lack of male models (for obvious reasons now), and then there is a lack of ethnic models (eg, malays, indians, eurasians, etc). I'm sure there are ladies in these groups that would like to be photographic models as well.
    Why don't you get a untrained male and ask him to become a model, let me see how many will volunteer. For untrained female, ask her to become a model, chances are she will agrees as female are by nature more receptive to be at the correct end of the lenses.

    On the fact of lacing of ethnic models, well, if one cannot take good picture of one's own ethnic, LOL ......... By the way, there are quite a few Malays and Indian pictures around in CS, only you did not noticed it. ....... but as the racial ratio goes, there are more chinese models
    Last edited by blurblock; 14th December 2004 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #28

    Default

    sorry if that sounded really harsh.......guess its angst

    but seriously ...check out other photo forums...for portraits....u see such rich variety of shots....of models of all age race ...immaterial if they are pretty or not........

  9. #29

    Default

    Hey Pollock ..... try to find a "young and beautiful model" at my gallery other then 1 I used to test shots :




  10. #30

    Default

    Oh Riva

    A belated welcome to you. I had only joined this forum about 6 months ago.

    I think I am beginning to like you.............

    (sorry, OT)

    But seriously, I had once asked a friend of mine (just take it that he is well known portrait/nude fine art photographer in US) why he only photographs females (well nearly! I saw a few males in his portfolio).

    His answer, which I still do not quite understand, is that women tends to be able to "give more", whatever that means. Someone mentioned that they are more use to be on the other end of the lens. I am not sure, but I think male models tend to have one stereo-type image - "cool", "macho". The male who is comfortable to be himself in front of the lens may be harder to find.

    Don't flame me. Just some thoughts>

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    Let me clarify, I am commenting on human models, not other subject matter.

    I agree that saying is easy but actually organising something is another matter. That's why I decided to raise this question in the hope of starting someone on looking out for different human models.

    Gentlemen, I'm not here to start an argument.

    It was just an honest observation.
    hi riva, there's no harm in commenting on an honest observation. however, there are times when tone of message can be interpreted wrongly by different readers. perhaps you have been abit too harsh in some of your comments.

    as for shots for other variety of models, i noticed there are some model shoot postings on japanese, etc, models. i guess these made up the very minority but u have to understand this is a forum for photographers, many of whom are mainly shooting for interest and not for job. Tough to get demand if a professional mature model were to demand for $100 for 2hours.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    I dont want to engage in the debate, just want to share some varieties of model shoots we did before some of you joined this forum.



  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Sigh.... why do renaissance artist paint more women then men.... why do we see more female faces in magazines and movies.... It has been and shall always be the case... the female form is appealing to a larger portion of the populace in general then the male form.


    Btw, I do birds too... they pose for free!
    OOps... becoz I do that I am sure pollock is gonna think I oogle at birds and lust after them.... sigh..... Just kidding!

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    maybe, there's limited supply? beautiful and mature women might not be so interested in doing photoshoots..... you could try to organise some I guess.
    Good suggestion !...Anyone ?...

  15. #35

    Default

    beauty lies in the eye of beholder

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I totally agree that whatever is texted in forums are open to interpretation since there isn't the benefit of voice intonations.

    So I apologise if my choice of words got interpreted the wrong way.

    I am not suggesting that we get pro mature models for shoots. Not all beautiful and mature women are pro models, neither are they all married and have careers. That's a typical sterotype.

    Perhaps if we look outside of such a sterotype we can all find beautiful women around us that will be willing to participate in a friendly photo session.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    I am not suggesting that we get pro mature models for shoots. Not all beautiful and mature women are pro models, neither are they all married and have careers. That's a typical sterotype.

    Perhaps if we look outside of such a sterotype we can all find beautiful women around us that will be willing to participate in a friendly photo session.
    I agree!

    My most recent and maybe best "portrait" of the year was taken a couple of weeks ago. She was a daughter of a "client". I saw her face and felt that she had features I was looking for. Her parents even asked me to photograph their daugther! Well I like it! But these opportunites are rare.

    In between, for us amateurs, we need to practice. And for most, it is easier and more affordable to join one of these organised shoots.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva
    I totally agree that whatever is texted in forums are open to interpretation since there isn't the benefit of voice intonations.

    So I apologise if my choice of words got interpreted the wrong way.

    I am not suggesting that we get pro mature models for shoots. Not all beautiful and mature women are pro models, neither are they all married and have careers. That's a typical sterotype.

    Perhaps if we look outside of such a sterotype we can all find beautiful women around us that will be willing to participate in a friendly photo session.
    No worries mate! Your original one does sound like trolling...

    Its the photographer's job to get anyone who comes to get a portrait done to look good. Its not easy but its a challenge. And that is the fun part. However, for a organizer of shoots... its the ones that sell that counts.

    I think for your idea to work, you could organize a challenge of the month and take a model (not necessarily good looking) and organize a shoot. Whoever makes the best portrait, wins the vote of Best Portrait Photographer. But even then you would run into controversy as beauty is subjective and can be intepreted in many ways.....

  19. #39

    Default

    I am more of a humanless photographer. I prefer my "models" to be light, mountains and natural scenery. humans are there to add a sense of scale, and so there's little debate whether they are male or female, ugly or beautiful....

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Sigh.... why do renaissance artist paint more women then men.... why do we see more female faces in magazines and movies.... It has been and shall always be the case... the female form is appealing to a larger portion of the populace in general then the male form.


    Btw, I do birds too... they pose for free!
    OOps... becoz I do that I am sure pollock is gonna think I oogle at birds and lust after them.... sigh..... Just kidding!
    hey what you do on your time is really your thing.......if i were u .....i'd stick to the bigger birds ...if u catch my drift ....hahahahahaha

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •