Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    I love this lens. Using it on my D700, bought it brand new from US. Sharp and contrasty. Close focusing works really well to get interesting shots. The f/2.8 zoom lenses cannot compare optically.
    Oh really? I used the 20mm prime on the D700. Not that impressed. The f/2.8 primes are sharper and better in every way.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  2. #22

    Default

    I'm actually surprised by the positive reception thus far.

    As mentioned earlier, I paired the 20mm with a D700 once and didn't really think much of it.

    For the price, it is certainly decent, and I don't think I ought to be expecting the sun and moon with the lens.

    Yet, the flaws are quite obvious on FX, and i'd rather go for any other f/2.8 zoom lens that covers this focal range than to use this lens.

    Wide angle primes were the Achilles Heel of Nikon for a long while, and I am quite thankful and impressed by the latest and proposed additions by Nikon.

    Meanwhile, this lens isn't all that bad once you factored in the cost. My opinion is that I'd only pair this with a FX camera, and I think I can get much better results by getting the Nikon f/2.8 zoom lenses. Of course, the zoom lenses are astronomically priced when compared to the 20mm prime, but i just think that if I were to go FX, I ought to have the cash.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    i think if you re going for technical perfection (corner sharpness, sharpness in general, vignetting, sharpness, and more sharpness) you wont like it. but the truth is there's much more to a lens than 'sharpness'. my brief encounter with the lens left a good impression and i quite liked the rendition. colours were punchy without being too contrasty, and i was more than ready to replace my 17-35 2.8 with it. in the end i went for the tokina 17 3.5 though, and have never missed the 17-35 ( talk about horrible corner performance >< )

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I'm actually surprised by the positive reception thus far.

    As mentioned earlier, I paired the 20mm with a D700 once and didn't really think much of it.

    For the price, it is certainly decent, and I don't think I ought to be expecting the sun and moon with the lens.

    Yet, the flaws are quite obvious on FX, and i'd rather go for any other f/2.8 zoom lens that covers this focal range than to use this lens.

    Wide angle primes were the Achilles Heel of Nikon for a long while, and I am quite thankful and impressed by the latest and proposed additions by Nikon.

    Meanwhile, this lens isn't all that bad once you factored in the cost. My opinion is that I'd only pair this with a FX camera, and I think I can get much better results by getting the Nikon f/2.8 zoom lenses. Of course, the zoom lenses are astronomically priced when compared to the 20mm prime, but i just think that if I were to go FX, I ought to have the cash.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  4. #24

    Default

    The lack of sharpness was apparent to me right away, but my greatest disappointment was with the colors it produces. Perhaps I'm getting too used to the colors produced by the modern Nikon primes (24mm, 35mm and 85mm f/1.4), i do not find the colors it produced appealing, and certainly not "sharp and contrasty" or "punchy" as some fellow CSers describe.

    The colors, however, do inspire a sense of nostalgia, as this were the colors I was used to while shooting 35mm film.

    Ultimately, I do concede that the low price of this lens means that I can't ask for too much.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  5. #25
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    i think if you re going for technical perfection (corner sharpness, sharpness in general, vignetting, sharpness, and more sharpness) you wont like it. but the truth is there's much more to a lens than 'sharpness'. my brief encounter with the lens left a good impression and i quite liked the rendition. colours were punchy without being too contrasty, and i was more than ready to replace my 17-35 2.8 with it. in the end i went for the tokina 17 3.5 though, and have never missed the 17-35 ( talk about horrible corner performance >< )
    wanting to replace the 17-35 with it is quite a claim

    anyway i'm mostly intrigued by the photographic opportunities that the ability to focus up close presents.

    here's an unedited raw to jpeg conversion from my d300 at iso 400, 2.8 ... was testing it at peninsular, no prizes for guessing where lol


  6. #26
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    would love to see some samples from you guys here so I can have a better idea about sharpness, colour and contrast

    thanks in advance

  7. #27

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Just for you.

    Flickr: GenOne3's Photostream

    Will remove in a few days.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

  8. #28
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Just for you.

    Flickr: GenOne3's Photostream

    Will remove in a few days.
    thanks Andrew! I feel loved

    there does seem to be a certain (film-like?) quality to the colour rendition

  9. #29

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    thanks Andrew! I feel loved

    there does seem to be a certain (film-like?) quality to the colour rendition
    Yes. Especially on AFD lens + Nikon Lens. My Cam Bodies are loaded with 'fuji velvia' picture control and customized to look and feel like my FM2 film days.

    Ok. Will remove the pics.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    wanting to replace the 17-35 with it is quite a claim
    true true, but the truth is that the 17-35 doesnt compare well to primes at all. its v v good at f/8, but i never had the confidence of using it wide open. the corners at 17mm are horrible, and the out of focus rendition is very ugly. it also lacked a crisp feel to the shots, and colours were a little smudgy. i was just getting really irritated for having paid so much for something that wouldnt deliver wide open. for the same price i replaced it with a 17/3.5, 24/2.8 AIS, 35/1.4 AIS, all of which can be shot wide open with relative impunity, and i dare say outperforms the 17-35 in almost all aspects.

    anw, back to the 20/2.8D, this one kinda sucks, but the only one left >< can dl the full size too. http://hashbr0wn.deviantart.com/#/d4stnxu
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 14th March 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  11. #31
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Yes. Especially on AFD lens + Nikon Lens. My Cam Bodies are loaded with 'fuji velvia' picture control and customized to look and feel like my FM2 film days.

    Ok. Will remove the pics.
    so were those shots deliberately processed as such?

  12. #32
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    true true, but the truth is that the 17-35 doesnt compare well to primes at all. its v v good at f/8, but i never had the confidence of using it wide open. the corners at 17mm are horrible, and the out of focus rendition is very ugly. it also lacked a crisp feel to the shots, and colours were a little smudgy. i was just getting really irritated for having paid so much for something that wouldnt deliver wide open. for the same price i replaced it with a 17/3.5, 24/2.8 AIS, 35/1.4 AIS, all of which can be shot wide open with relative impunity, and i dare say outperforms the 17-35 in almost all aspects.

    anw, back to the 20/2.8D, i couldnt find many shots, but heres one. i ve made the full sized image available too. [url]http://hashbr0wn.deviantart.com/#/d4stnxu[url]
    thanks for sharing

    weren't you the one who shared about the 180 2.8 the last time I started a thread asking about budget FX lenses?

  13. #33

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    so were those shots deliberately processed as such?
    No... I think I will stop telling more here... may end up with a long write up and revive the RTFM thingy.

    Its a nice lens. Have fun.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    thanks for sharing

    weren't you the one who shared about the 180 2.8 the last time I started a thread asking about budget FX lenses?
    mm.. would probably be me ^^v i like to try the less heard of lenses to see what they re like, found quite a number of unsung heroes in the process

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    No... I think I will stop telling more here... may end up with a long write up and revive the RTFM thingy.

    Its a nice lens. Have fun.
    i love the way you light your subjects! very very nice =)
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  15. #35
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    No... I think I will stop telling more here... may end up with a long write up and revive the RTFM thingy.

    Its a nice lens. Have fun.
    yes i understand what it means when u said u load that particular picture control for your cameras.

    what i was trying to understand, is if those pictures were deliberately chosen and shown for my benefit (as I did for the test shot I posted, direct raw to jpeg conversion) ... since i was asking for samples.



    ... but based on your reply i know the answer now.

  16. #36
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    both of u (andrew and ben) have got nice photos

  17. #37

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Hi,

    My comment is that the lens itself is soft wide open. But it does improves when stopped down to at least f4.

    I was surprised when I first try it out. Colours are alright; identical to a typical 50 f1.4 (sorry folks that's the next available prime I am lay my hands on).

    Or maybe this is just luck when you purchase a less than perfect lens. But base on my usage, this lens does not seem to deliver the lights into my D700 sensor.

  18. #38
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by rprod View Post
    Hi,

    My comment is that the lens itself is soft wide open. But it does improves when stopped down to at least f4.

    I was surprised when I first try it out. Colours are alright; identical to a typical 50 f1.4 (sorry folks that's the next available prime I am lay my hands on).

    Or maybe this is just luck when you purchase a less than perfect lens. But base on my usage, this lens does not seem to deliver the lights into my D700 sensor.

    do you have any wide open shots to share?

    i'm interested in using it for portraits so wide open performance is of interest to me

  19. #39

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    do you have any wide open shots to share?

    i'm interested in using it for portraits so wide open performance is of interest to me
    I cannot recall if I still keep them. It was just some fun tes shots using my D700 and probably using my friend's D50 IR setup. No promise, will try do a search. Generally, you could also check it out probably at pixel-peeper for some sample photos.

  20. #40

    Default Re: user opinion on the 20mm 2.8D

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    thanks for all the feedback

    but i'm wondering how do u guys usually use your UWA? (up close and personal? or hang back and squeeze everything in)
    Don't ever do the latter. It's the worst possible use of a UWA. You ALWAYS need foreground interest in a UWA shot. UWAs increase perceived distance between foreground and background, so if you don't have anything in the foreground, you'll end up with a big blank frame with tiny specs in the center.

    On topic, I don't have this lens, but I do have a Sigma 20 f1.8. Here are some shots with this lens on DX to show you what you can do with this focal length:

    Stopped down:



    Wide open (Didn't have the hood with me and it shows):


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •