Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Soundproofing

  1. #1

    Default Soundproofing

    anybody knows where soundproofing services are available? that is to soundproof my room? or anywhere that sells soundproof windows? did a check on yahoo singapore but failed to find anything relevant.

    thanks.
    Last edited by fastwatch; 24th July 2002 at 12:36 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Soundproofing

    Originally posted by fastwatch
    anybody knows where soundproofing services are available? that is to soundproof my room? or anywhere that sells soundproof windows? did a check on yahoo singapore but failed to find anything relevant.

    thanks.
    double glazed windows (i.e. 2 layers of glass) are pretty good at stopping sound.

  3. #3

    Default

    i heard fiberboards are used to insulate the walls (soundproof).

  4. #4

    Default

    well...if possible, i'ld just like to change the windows..that leaves me from having to shift all my stuff about to do the walls....

    any idea where and how much it costs to install those windows for a 2-pane window area?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    hehe..me thinking of doing something like that too...else my parents will complain when i listen to music late at nite
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  6. #6
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    hmmm... are you doing soundproofing to reduce sounds coming into or going out of the room? hi-fi enthusiast? or you trying to reduce other types of human-made sounds? *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

    For a really cheap and effective soundproofing, can tape egg carton boxes (the cardboard ones) on the walls and your door. Doesn't look nice at all but cheap, easy to get and you get to eat lots of eggs at the same time

    Otherwise, have to get professional soundproofing material installed - suggest you hop on over to the Adelphi to ask at the hi-fi dealers there, they will probably be able to advise you.

    One other thing, (and I am assuming here) if you are staying in a HDB or private apartment, probably have to think about sound that travels upwards or downwards thru the concrete.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    S'pore, AMK
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Hi,

    You may want to post at the below site
    Planet Audio
    http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=9
    - quite a number of Gurus there.

    http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...;threadid=4186

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    hmmm... are you doing soundproofing to reduce sounds coming into or going out of the room? hi-fi enthusiast? or you trying to reduce other types of human-made sounds? *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

    For a really cheap and effective soundproofing, can tape egg carton boxes (the cardboard ones) on the walls and your door. Doesn't look nice at all but cheap, easy to get and you get to eat lots of eggs at the same time

    Otherwise, have to get professional soundproofing material installed - suggest you hop on over to the Adelphi to ask at the hi-fi dealers there, they will probably be able to advise you.

    One other thing, (and I am assuming here) if you are staying in a HDB or private apartment, probably have to think about sound that travels upwards or downwards thru the concrete.
    Contrary to popular belief, the egg crates does not soundproof the room. It only helps to deaden the room from undesirable internal reflections which is detrimental to the imaging and soundstaging of that hifi you have inside.

    Regards
    CK

  9. #9
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    Contrary to popular belief, the egg crates does not soundproof the room. It only helps to deaden the room from undesirable internal reflections which is detrimental to the imaging and soundstaging of that hifi you have inside.

    Regards
    CK
    oh really? oh, well learn something new everyday
    can only afford one expensive hobby, you know.... but used to dabble in hi-fi back in Uni days.

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Contrary to popular belief, the egg crates does not soundproof the room. It only helps to deaden the room from undesirable internal reflections which is detrimental to the imaging and soundstaging of that hifi you have inside.

    Regards
    CK
    It will be far more effective to simply line the walls and ceiling with thick mattresses. So you can have your own 'audio asylum'

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    It will be far more effective to simply line the walls and ceiling with thick mattresses. So you can have your own 'audio asylum'
    Right, provided your mum or other half doesn't complain of you doing that.

    Regards
    CK

    P.S. Time to update your hifi pages. It's so old now...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren


    oh really? oh, well learn something new everyday
    can only afford one expensive hobby, you know.... but used to dabble in hi-fi back in Uni days.
    Sell the camera equipment then get a nice hifi and speakers (forget Bose). At least your wife can enjoy it too. Best of all, it doesn't go obsolete like digital cameras....

    Regards
    CK

  13. #13
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    Sell the camera equipment then get a nice hifi and speakers (forget Bose). At least your wife can enjoy it too. Best of all, it doesn't go obsolete like digital cameras....
    how about ... sell the wife and get hi-fi ... muahahahaha .... oooeerrr... better make sure she doesn't read this ....

  14. #14

    Default

    well...a nice set of hifi equipment would be nice to have if i soundproofed my room....but it's actually to keep the external sounds from coming in....

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    how about ... sell the wife and get hi-fi ... muahahahaha .... oooeerrr... better make sure she doesn't read this ....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    One trick you can use at home is to line the ceiling with a multi frequency trap. This is made by lining the ceiling with damping material (accoustic wadding works well) and then placing a row of bars just below the wadding on to which is looped thick felt or very heavy drapes (eg velvet) which is then dropped between the bars at differing lengths to create a random frequency trap.

    I'd suggest you search the web a bit (there's tons of information) and look up 'accoustic engineers' in the phone book
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    53

    Default

    To all those interested in room treatment, do beware of various esoteric brands that make ambitious claims about sound quality.

    A few things to take note of, budget and level of sound proofing.
    These 2 components are logarithically proportionate. meaning up to a certain threshold, it costs a bomb to improve insulation by a miniscule amount.

    Do state your requirements in, room size, budget and types of music you would like to listen to.

    note #2 : sound proofing does not improve the music in your room. Room treatment to control reverberation does. Always remember that the entire system (electronics, room and software) is only as strong as it's weakest link.

    Another complimentary(free) service offered in the Banal talk section. : )

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by phero-man
    To all those interested in room treatment, do beware of various esoteric brands that make ambitious claims about sound quality.

    A few things to take note of, budget and level of sound proofing.
    These 2 components are logarithically proportionate. meaning up to a certain threshold, it costs a bomb to improve insulation by a miniscule amount.

    Do state your requirements in, room size, budget and types of music you would like to listen to.

    note #2 : sound proofing does not improve the music in your room. Room treatment to control reverberation does. Always remember that the entire system (electronics, room and software) is only as strong as it's weakest link.

    Another complimentary(free) service offered in the Banal talk section. : )
    You do both soundproofing AND acoustic treatment, electrical conditioning, etc and you get music listening bliss. And you'll not go out to shoot anymore.

    Regards
    CK

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    53

    Default

    well I can stay indoors to shoot tubes... :P

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by phero-man
    well I can stay indoors to shoot tubes... :P
    Yes! Glowing tubes make for good macro shots. As is close up of the turntable stylus with the LP spinning....

    Regards
    CK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •