Thread: Cropping subject from background?

Default Cropping subject from background?

Is there anyway I can distinguish a subject (eg. car) from the background efficiently using PS? Tedious oso nvm...

I tried zooming in and erasing the background manually, but the edges turn out jagged. Used masking but the boundary gets chipped off.

Trying to do a jpeg of my passport photo for keeps, as well as online submission of documents.

Roughly "Magnetic Lasso--> Copy --> New Layer --> Paste"? Check out the Digital Darkroom section for the experts' advice, I ain't very good at PS either.

Cheers,

thers an extract command in ps.....

Blog Entries

It depends on the subject and the background, some are easy, while others takes hours. Sometimes it is easier to re shoot on a white background.

For well defined edges, use the pen tool. It can allow for very precise selections. As for edges like hair, fur, etc... Extract would be a better choice. With the pen tool, selections will come out crisp and sharp... so you may want to do a feather (1-3 pixels will be fine). Alternatively, you can use the blur tool to blur the hard edges too.
    Last edited by Amekaze; 14th December 2004 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks all for the advice. Looks much better now.