Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 296

Thread: Punggol Shoot 03, 18th Dec '04

  1. #261
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    to be specific it is an AF DX Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8G ED

    Trying a borrowed Fisheye,
    too much distortion and too expansive for my taste
    I will stick to a 12mm

    I'll give it a shot (the cropping)
    what you see here is full frame without any cropping.

    Thanks
    OIC, I tot is a 15 or 16mm, sori, too dark cannot see clearly. Hahah.

    I use 15mm fisheye to shoot wedding, on film camera, of course about 10 shots only lah, I love full frame fisheye, but hate to change lens on DSLR.
    Have not try this two lens yet, maybe will get the 12-24 next years.

    For this shot, understand that you canít lower yourself to reduce the roof, or else will losing too much of the boat and the water, distortion of the pole is accepted for fisheye lens, maybe you donít like it.

  2. #262
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Good call about the cropping.
    Now I like it better, still disturbed by the distorted pole.

    Here it is

    the cropped one is indeed better i find the distorted pole OK actually

  3. #263

    Default

    hi guys,
    sorry haven been posting. i'm Nipapa but i changed my nick to Climber. I still owe eikin $. Hey eikin how to return u? btw i went on sat. Bad day. No sun.

    But nevertheless i'd like to post my photos see if it is to ur likingS. (hmm doesn't sound right) Anyway Pls feel free to comment.





    Still learning...

  4. #264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Climber
    hi guys,
    sorry haven been posting. i'm Nipapa but i changed my nick to Climber. I still owe eikin $. Hey eikin how to return u? btw i went on sat. Bad day. No sun.

    But nevertheless i'd like to post my photos see if it is to ur likingS. (hmm doesn't sound right) Anyway Pls feel free to comment.

    Still learning...
    hey, no problem man! just buy me a drink the next time you see me can liao ...

    i prefer #1 to #3 ... don't like to overblow the sky for this scene, but watch the horizon line in #1, give it a slight tilt to horizontal and it'll look better ...

    saw some of your pictures on CS gallery, good attempt on 'dragonfly' and 'joy', can try push the limit of your cam somemore, i am sure you will be able to find more inspirations

  5. #265
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Hey Ortega and Climber...how did you guy shoot the skyline with very dark object at the front? Teach me leh Today I spent nearly whole day at Boat quay and Explanade......can't seems to get things right

  6. #266

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Hey Ortega and Climber...how did you guy shoot the skyline with very dark object at the front? Teach me leh Today I spent nearly whole day at Boat quay and Explanade......can't seems to get things right
    One way is to spot meter off the darker object so the camera will expose correctly for it (note that the brighter objects may get overblown).

    The other is to adjust your Exposure Compensation. Increase it by about 0.5 until you get the picture you want

  7. #267
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaler
    One way is to spot meter off the darker object so the camera will expose correctly for it (note that the brighter objects may get overblown).

    The other is to adjust your Exposure Compensation. Increase it by about 0.5 until you get the picture you want
    Silhouette shots? Should meter correctly for the sky or bright background, let the foreground fell into shadow itself (underexpose).
    Manual Exposure Mode

  8. #268
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Silhouette shots? Should meter correctly for the sky or bright background, let the foreground fell into shadow itself (underexpose).
    Manual Exposure Mode
    Catchlights is right, but for me I normally include some forground in my shots for depth and I try to get some shadow detail in the forground, so I under expose slightly. If you want to learn, you should experiment with your settings and see what works for you.

    If in doubt bracket, and then you cannot get it wrong.

  9. #269

    Default

    For me it's like pure luck tt i got those shots the way i wanted (i think)
    But can anyone explain to me wat spot metering does?
    and Wat CATCHLIGHTS said err wat is metering? and wat is manual exposure mode?
    isit like err white balance and shutter speed and apature size? i just made my apature smallest and shoot with a fast shutter.

  10. #270

    Default

    oh ya eikin thanks for ur kua jiang....
    still learning.... kempatei!

  11. #271
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Climber
    For me it's like pure luck tt i got those shots the way i wanted (i think)
    But can anyone explain to me wat spot metering does?
    and Wat CATCHLIGHTS said err wat is metering? and wat is manual exposure mode?
    isit like err white balance and shutter speed and apature size? i just made my apature smallest and shoot with a fast shutter.
    Spot metering is light measurement from a spot. this is a smaller area than center weighted and matrix metering.

    Metering is the measurement of the amount of light on a subject, this is translated to a balance of shutter speed and fstop to get a correct exposure.

    Manual exposure mode is normally the "M" setting where you choose the balance of exposure yourself, this is based on the metering of the camera.

    For a more detailed explanation read some good books on photography.

  12. #272
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Climber
    For me it's like pure luck tt i got those shots the way i wanted (i think)
    But can anyone explain to me wat spot metering does?
    and Wat CATCHLIGHTS said err wat is metering? and wat is manual exposure mode?
    isit like err white balance and shutter speed and apature size? i just made my apature smallest and shoot with a fast shutter.
    Sorry, I should go slower a litter bit. Perhaps you can borrow some books for National Library, so you can have a systematic way learning.

    Iím not good in writing, so please bear with me if you donít understand.

  13. #273

    Default

    hey thanks guys.... thanks for sharing ur knowledge. alright i'lll go study some books soon. Till we meet again....

  14. #274
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaler
    One way is to spot meter off the darker object so the camera will expose correctly for it (note that the brighter objects may get overblown).

    The other is to adjust your Exposure Compensation. Increase it by about 0.5 until you get the picture you want
    Hm....like this OK?


  15. #275

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Hm....like this OK?
    Hmm... up to you. Is this the image you want to capture?

  16. #276
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Hi Big Kahuna, I thought that was quite a different perspective compared to how people would normally see the CBD skyline, however, IMHO the picture is too dark for my liking ... I am not too sure how you can improve the shot on the 'pre-processing' part, but I thought a little post-processing may bring out the picture even more ...



    the above is taken from your original post, pardon me for making changes to your image without your prior knowledge, will remove if you are not comfortable with this

    what i have done is to push up the curve quite abit for the mid-tone range to bring out the sky colours, and thus provide a more complete skyline for the CBD above the water. just a try on my part, you may want to try it yourself
    Last edited by eikin; 24th December 2004 at 07:26 PM.

  17. #277
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    Hi Big Kahuna, I thought that was quite a different perspective compared to how people would normally see the CBD skyline, however, IMHO the picture is too dark for my liking ... I am not too sure how you can improve the shot on the 'pre-processing' part, but I thought a little post-processing may bring out the picture even more ...

    the above is taken from your original post, pardon me for making changes to your image without your prior knowledge, will remove if you are not comfortable with this

    what i have done is to push up the curve quite abit for the mid-tone range to bring out the sky colours, and thus provide a more complete skyline for the CBD above the water. just a try on my part, you may want to try it yourself
    Hi Eiken....please do so....you are the most wellcome man And yes, that is what excatly I want because somehow I just felt my original was is a little bit erm...donno how to describe....it does not have the very strong black and white effect....like seeing thing behind a mask....that's what I mean earlier I spend the whole evening still couldn't get it right

    I guess it's not only shooting...now I got to brush up my photoshop skills also It's kind of cool because I am in photoshooting for barely a mth and now I got so many shifu 关造liao...really appreciate guys...next I buy you guys kopi

  18. #278
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaler
    Hmm... up to you. Is this the image you want to capture?
    Hehe...I also donno actually...I just try my luck...trying to emulate some of the evening shots that you guys have

    But hey.....I do believe 失败乃成功之母....so I am going to try again somedays later

  19. #279
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default



    look forward to seeing everyone in future shoots!

  20. #280

    Default Merry X'mas!

    Finally got my pictures for that day scanned in. Here goes... please feel free to comment/critique. BTW, I'll post the link to Fort Canning shots soon... holiday season lah, everything slows down to a crawl

    Sunset

    Yyatch


    Bell


    I PSed the colours little to make it more interesting than just grey.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •