Thread: Camera insurance

Default Camera insurance

Hi,

Does anyone knows where I can get a camera insurance coverage to protect against loss, theft & accident? NTUC used to have this 'Mobile equipment insurance' but seems like it's no longer available.

thanks,
    amandi

Default Re: Camera insurance

Quote Originally Posted by contrast_ratio View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone knows where I can get a camera insurance coverage to protect against loss, theft & accident? NTUC used to have this 'Mobile equipment insurance' but seems like it's no longer available.

thanks,
    amandi
    I specify my camera equipment in my home insurance as specified personal valuables, check with your home insurance policy if you can do this.
    Covers against theft, loss or accidental damage.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I specify my camera equipment in my home insurance as specified personal valuables, check with your home insurance policy if you can do this.
    Covers against theft, loss or accidental damage.
    But this way it won't cover thief during travel?

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    You can choose to purchase travel insurance which will cover theft. Depending on how much you travel, you can choose single trip insurance or longer terms ones.

Many thanks spree86 and adamadam. This is really useful information for all of us with an interest in photography and have been wondering for a while how to go on about it.

as usual, my question have always been, for those that bought equipment insurance, have you claimed before? if yes, good or bad experience, pls share.

Cameras are not expensive items. I mean why would you wanna insure something that is just like say 5-10k? Compared to some other hobbies, seriously camera equipment are not expensive, the premiums are not worth it. I have asked before and besides the claims are quite often not paid out during travel because of the issue of "how to prove it"...it is most often not ok for you to just "loose it" else everyone would be losing stuff just to change equipment but to prove that it is stolen while you "lost it momentarily". I forgot the details but was just enquiring from the agent and that was quite long ago. Nowadays I don't know of any. Now If you are doing this professionally your coverage nature is quite different. Seriously if you drive, you'd know how's the world out there.

You'd be much happier with life/hospitalisation insurance, trust me.
    Last edited by 2100; 25th March 2012 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by contrast_ratio
    Hi,

thanks,
    amandi
    First of all, how much is your camera only?

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    It covers me worldwide for up to a 90 day trip away from home. So that includes accidentally damage, loss, or theft while I am travelling
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by donut88

First of all, how much is your camera only?
    I have a Leica m9 and a couple of Summilux and I travel quite frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Cameras are not expensive items. I mean why would you wanna insure something that is just like say 5-10k? Compared to some other hobbies, seriously camera equipment are not expensive, the premiums are not worth it. I have asked before and besides the claims are quite often not paid out during travel because of the issue of "how to prove it"...it is most often not ok for you to just "loose it" else everyone would be losing stuff just to change equipment but to prove that it is stolen while you "lost it momentarily". I forgot the details but was just enquiring from the agent and that was quite long ago. Nowadays I don't know of any. Now If you are doing this professionally your coverage nature is quite different. Seriously if you drive, you'd know how's the world out there.

You'd be much happier with life/hospitalisation insurance, trust me.
    True. I would not insure my 5D and EF lenses, but not so if you have Leica and Summilux lenses.

Not sure.. But i will never consider.. rather spend that insurance money on some other insurance that covers some other more essential/important stuff..eg. Hospital bills, life, Car etc etc.

True as compared to these..camera equipment are consider cheap (though they are not that cheap too..hmm)

I mean.. Just becareful and come on what are the chances for you to get rob, loss. Even so...the claim will be very cumbersome and who knows how much or will you even get claim or how long the case will go on and on. Even those who wear 10-20k watches dont get insurance (at least for those whom i know). Wears it everyday..wears it so many years. Still there. lol.

In AXA Smarthome, you can opt for additional protection for "Specified articles exceeding S$2k per item, please provide receipts for underwriting". This is the closest I can find that provide full coverage for those big ticket items such as camera bodies and L lenses.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 26th March 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Not sure.. But i will never consider.. rather spend that insurance money on some other insurance that covers some other more essential/important stuff..eg. Hospital bills, life, Car etc etc.

True as compared to these..camera equipment are consider cheap (though they are not that cheap too..hmm)

I mean.. Just becareful and come on what are the chances for you to get rob, loss. Even so...the claim will be very cumbersome and who knows how much or will you even get claim or how long the case will go on and on. Even those who wear 10-20k watches dont get insurance (at least for those whom i know). Wears it everyday..wears it so many years. Still there. lol.
    Some celebrities insure certain body parts.
    I have health insurance etc first, then home and contents / gear insurance.
    It's always for 'just in case'. Depends how much risk you like and how you can reduce it.
    my flickr - adamloh.com